Gestational Diabetes Group - Us vs. the Carbs

I'd be lost without my cheese too. :) So, I'm right there with ya!

I have also found the more weight I lose, the more carbs I can eat. I am also able to eat some forbidden things in moderation. IE: Over Christmas our neighbors gave us a box of sugar cookies (not knowing I had my condition). I am able to eat 1 cookie at a time if I don't eat anything else with it and my sugar is already reasonably low. I also was able to eat boston cream pie filled donuts this way as well. :) But, I am refraining from making it a habit. :)

I'm quite slim anyway. I weigh about 125lbs at the moment? The GD team get really twitchy about my weight gain or lack of towards the end.

I can only assume it is natural? I am just eating incredibly healthily, not starving myself?

I gained 10lbs last time and my daughter was 7lb 7oz.

Yea I can't relate to that - I'm obese, so I think my situation is totally different.

I am very short too, I do have meat on my bones!

I have a friend who had GD with her first baby, lost quite a bit of weight before her second and then had no GD the next time.

Whereas for some reason dispite my lack of risk factors (I was 24 when I had DD1 and no family history, no pcos, I'm white european) I seem to be doomed!

I tried this time being fitter before conceiving and maybe that kept it at bay a little while longer. I know normally it starts earlier earlier.

If cheese is an issue for me, I will not be a happy camper!

I got my meter today and start the diet/testing tomorrow morning. Hoping my fingers toughen up quickly with this 6xs a day testing ahead of me. I go back next Friday for them to have a look at my charts.

There may be a plus side to the gd for you ladies. I weighed myself the other day. I was doing slimming world until June (when I was about 12 weeks) and I've only put on 2.5lbs since I stopped. I was pleasantly surprised!

I go tomorrow and get my meter and talk to the dietician. It will be interesting to see how my numbers go because we already eat a pretty healthy diet and go to the gym 5+ days a week (and the days I don't go, I am riding horses or walking 6-8 miles, so still active!). I've only put on about 8 lbs so far, so I don't think I'm doing too bad!

I eat pretty healthy too and have only gained 9lbs. It was a matter of counting the number of carbs out for me. My numbers have been fine so far today and I haven't changed anything I've eaten so far. I don't load myself up on sweets or anything to begin with, so the likelihood I would eat as much sugar in one dose like they give you at the test is very slim.

So my fasting reading was up on my GD test, 1hr was fine and 2hr was high. Now I'm getting high 2hr readings but alright 1hr ones. What gives?

My doctors told me not to test that often. You should either do 1 hour or 2 hour consistently.

The reason your 1 hour is good but your 2 hour is high is potentially because of the kind of carbs you're eating. Certain carbs release slower or faster into your blood stream.

Ya'll are going to hate me but I've lost about 30 pounds and haven't gained anything. I continue to lose weight actually. I dunno if its cause I'm on Metformin or because of the diet mixed with my PCOS issues or what...but I'm the lowest weight I have been in many years. If I keep it up, I will be under 300 pounds for the first time in ooooohhhh let me see 7-10 years. I'm at 302 as of this morning and back in June of last year I was 338.

That's what they have me doing until next Friday when we can re-evaluate :-(

Lucky on the weight loss! I've only gained 9lbs so I'm pretty proud of that, but more than willing to take any weight loss that may come along with this diet.

Oh, that's interesting. Yea I would just watch what types of carbs you're eating and maybe cut back and see if that makes both readings normal. As we were mentioning earlier we all have certain trigger foods that set off our sugars and may not be the same as other people.

I had my doctor appointment today and they say baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead but it doesn't appear to be GD related. Nothing about his growth or fluid levels indicate that I'm not managing properly. So, I guess that's good... but I'm wondering if all the protein I'm eating is helping him get bigger faster?

Congrats Amythyst on your weight loss and your baby doing well :flower:

I had an ultrasound a couple of days ago and they estimate that the baby is 15% bigger than normal. But then they said the margin of error on measuring this late in pregnancy is usually 10 to 15% in either direction so they asked me to assume that he is normal sized. Babies could be big for any number of reasons so your assumption is probably correct because he is receiving such a healthy diet.

I am now on insulin. 6 units in the morning and 4 units in the evening. I feel so much better now and I don't worry about my blood sugar spiking so much anymore. I do feel a lot hungrier though!

Ladies, those of you who are still in week 20 something, please don't worry or get upset if you find it harder and harder to get your blood sugar under control. Just remember, it's not your fault and that your placental hormones double every week and make your insulin resistance stronger than ever. Please do not see it as a sign of failure if you have to take insulin or meds. It's better to take insulin, which has no effect on baby, than to allow your blood sugar to spike, which taxes your little one's pancreas. I found a wonderful article about GD which helped me a lot. https://gestationaldiabetesrecipes.com/2012/10/myth-busting-insulin-for-gestational-diabetes/

I just want to reassure you because I went through a lot of emotional ups and downs when my blood sugar was all over the place. I was beating myself up for not doing better and trying to see why I had failed. I can see now that my body just needs some extra help during this time. I have more energy now and am happier.

Good luck to all of you ladies!

Apparently any form of bread is a no no for me. It's going to be a longgg 9 weeks.

Amethyst, congrats on your weight loss!!! That is awesome!

I've been doing 2hr post meal testing and all of my numbers have been good to low. Does cold or walking all day affect anyone's sugars? I was out in 5 F degree weather vesterday and both my readings were 2.4 (43) but I didn't feel like I had low sugar (something I have had very occasionally in the past).

Apparently any form of bread is a no no for me. It's going to be a longgg 9 weeks.

How many carbs per slice are in the bread you're eating? And what sort of bread is it?
I had to find special carb bread that only has 4g per slice. Where in the world are you located?

I don't think the cold affects my sugars but I know walking helps you burn them off.

Northern I can only eat one slice of Soya and Linseed bread ideal with 2 eggs or cheese.

Does anyone else have a baby that is super active when your sugar is low but goes quieter after you have eaten.

Both DD2 and this baby do it. It is making me feel really guilty, like she isn't as happy when my sugar is higher?

I realise this is probably mad maternal guilt...

No, I've noticed this.

I just had a 8.1 reading before a meal, so I didn't eat yet. Giving it time to go back down and try to figure out wtf happened. I can't wait to see the diabetes education nurse again on Friday to get some better insight on this crap.

I have it too. Apparently its "normal" ... today when I was getting checked out the baby was sleeping and they asked me if I had just eaten recently... so, I guess its pretty common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->