Gestational diabetes...worried

Vonny1537

Reaction score
Hi, I went for my GD test on Monday, and on Tuesday the hospital rang to say my reading after the two hour wait was 7.8 which is on the cusp of having GD. Since then I've changed my diet and been submitting my blood sugar levels to the doctor. But my issue is I've only been testing for two days, and because I've had a couple of higher readings after breakfast the doctor wants to start me on tablets already?

Has anyone else had this and been put on tablets straight away? It just seems a bit quick to put me on tablets already, when the plan was to see if I can control it with dietary changes

Thanks x

That is quick! My results were 8.2 and I have to check blood sugars 4 x a day and change diet. I've been on it for 4 days and my levels are now ranging between 5-6. They are seeing how I get on and my next appointment is next Thursday - so they have given me nearly two weeks to see if diet has made any changes. I'm hopeful that they'll be content for me to just continue like that!

Thanks for the reply, it's not much fun is it 😔 My levels are around the same as you but I've had two higher readings first thing. I'm wondering if wolfing down breakfast at 7am, racing to work which is an hours drive and then testing might be affecting it x

I put a thread in gestational complications and had some really helpful responses - was actually told to have a snack before bed as if you go too long your body goes into starvation mode and releases glucose into the blood. It makes total sense! Could that be an issue for you as well?

Thanks I'll try that. What are you snacking on? To be honest I'm scared to eat now 😐 Just really don't want to go on anymore tablets. I'm 27 weeks and still taking pills for morning sickness, and really at the end of my tether so don't want anymore! X

I hear that! I'm taking daily injections for a blood clotting disorder so was beyond distraught to think I may need insulin too! Hmm....I didn't really think of snacks when I planned my menu this week! Maybe a bit of toast with peanut butter? The midwife seemed to think that was good for me. I have some blueberries but not sure if that's enough - will just have to try a couple of different things maybe!

I hear that! I'm taking daily injections for a blood clotting disorder so was beyond distraught to think I may need insulin too! Hmm....I didn't really think of snacks when I planned my menu this week! Maybe a bit of toast with peanut butter? The midwife seemed to think that was good for me. I have some blueberries but not sure if that's enough - will just have to try a couple of different things maybe!

Yeah, you definitely want something with a little bit of protein, GD is not the worst thing in the world, it stinks but it's totally manageable :)

Hey Vonny - how were your readings this morning? I went against my own advice because I didn't eat evening mean until 8.30pm and thought that I wouldn't need a snack before bed - reading was 6.2 so slightly over where I should be! I'm definitely having a small snack before bed tonight and will report back tomorrow!

Hey Vonny - how were your readings this morning? I went against my own advice because I didn't eat evening mean until 8.30pm and thought that I wouldn't need a snack before bed - reading was 6.2 so slightly over where I should be! I'm definitely having a small snack before bed tonight and will report back tomorrow!
e

Hey mine were good this morning...5.1 before breakfast (needs to be between 4-5.3) and 6.1 after (needs to be 7.8 or less) I had a snack before bedtime and it really seemed to help 😀

Thanks - I'll defo be doing that then! The morning after I had a snack was well within limits so I was my own worst enemy by not sticking to the rules yesterday night! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->