• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gestational diabetes

Bumblebeee

Mum to one & having fun!
Reaction score
Hi so I've just been told that I have gestational diabetes, can anyone give me the basics on it please? I've read the NHS pages and the ones on the forums but just looking for more personal advice than the generic stuff. Like what do I eat? How bad is it really? Thanks :)

Hi bumblebeee, I had GD and it’s pretty much a high protein and fat and low carbs and sugar diet. It can be very confusing at times but you definitely get used to it! If you are on Facebook there is a page that really saved me on there called gestational diabetes uk mums it has a few recipes on there too. Good luck with your journey and feel free to ask any questions and I’ll help where I can x

Hi thanks for your reply, I tried to find the page you mentioned but I'm not having any luck :( I joined another page but they seem to be mostly American so where as I've been told my levels need to be under 5.3 for fasting and 7.8 post meals, they're all talking about numbers from like 80-120 so that's really confusing. Maybe I'm just missing it, I'll have another scroll through. Thank you

I have to eat 30 grams of carbs per meal and then have 3 snacks with 15-20 carbs each. And each meal and snack must have high protein and fat as well. You need carbs to balance it out or it can actually make your blood sugar go up. Also, good carbs. Like whole grains, beans, etc. Not everyone follows this exact amount of carbs. I was given the option of doing 45-60 carbs per meal and then 30 carbs per snack but it’s too much for me because then I have to eat even more protein and I get too full. I check my blood sugar 4 times a day. First thing in the morning and then 1 hour after each meal. I’ve only been doing this a little over a week and it’s my first time with GD so still figuring it all out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->