Get clothes now or no?

mcwhmm

Reaction score
I feel totally new to this, Lol.. I went NUTS buying clothes for DD when I was pregnant with her. Mostly everything was too big and I had to go shopping and buy her a whole newborn wardrobe. Then I had to get rid of tons of clothes with tags on them.

Now, this time, I've gotten a few newborn things, like only one 3 month thing and two 6 months summer outfits.

I've been looking at Carter's website constantly and I have like 30 items in my cart, Lol. I love that at Carter's, you can return things without there being a time limit if they don't fit or what not. I guess I'm just struggling with what to buy, how many things, and what sizes. It usually gets warm here in May (pools usually open Memorial Day Weekend) and baby will be about a month and a half then. I'm guessing just a mix of 3 month and 6 month clothes for summer?

Or should I just wait? The only problem with waiting (which I have found multiple times) is that they run out of sizes and then you can't always get what you want. I know they will also come out with new things too.

I'm not really too worried if things don't fit because at Carter's you can always return, or I have two friends that are having babies within a month of me.

Random question too.. is it bad if clothes are TOO big? Lol, like.. if I buy a majority of her summer clothes in 6 months would that be bad :p

I feel like a first time mom all over again .... It's amazing what you forget!

I try looking back at DD's pictures and I can recall what size some of her outfits were and I know that she was in newborn sizes for about a month (born 7.5lbs). I can't recall though how long she was in 3 months and when she wore 6 months and so on..

I drive myself crazy:p

I bought 7 newborn outfits, and 4 pairs of 0-3 months and stopping there! That way she will have a few outfits to wear while I figure out her growth pattern and how long she's able to stay in a particular size. Then, buy as she grows. I did that with my son and it worked perfectly. My first child I had too many newborn outfits, too many 3-6 month outfits etc.

Instead of "pay as you go", "buy as they grow." Lol

Good moto;) I suppose I will just get a few more newborn and 0-3 (I only have one 3 months outfit so far) and the 6 month ones I got for $2 each on clearance so I couldn't pass those up :p

I guess waiting and seeing how she grows and then buying stuff will give me something to do while on maternity leave ;) Lol

Exactly! Plus....the spring line will be coming out and on sale. A fresh new line made just for our spring babies. :flower:

I have wayyyyy too much newborn sizes, already washed and can't take back:/ baby is already measuring 6ish lbs and I still have 4 wks to go!! Ahhhhh!!! I do remember my 1st son weight 7.7 and wore newborn for about 3 months, my second was 8.4 and wore size newborn for about 2 months.... So I guess if u think ur baby is more than 9lbs I'd buy just a few newborn, but if you think baby will be on the smaller size is plan for newborn for at least a couple months.... I remember my 1st stayed tiny for a while and 0-3 was so big ! 3 month didn't fit him right til a good 4 months..... I'm with ya though... It's so confusing. You want to be prepared but you just don't know til they come out!

I literally only have a handful of things in newborn sizes. Not planning on getting any more in newborn. My DD was 7lb4 at birth and the 0-3 sizes were big at the beginning but it was okay by me as she was mostly froggied up her legs and wouldn't put them in the newborn onesies/sleepsuits even anyway.

For me 12 onesies/sleepsuits in 0-3 months seem to be a good number. I can always have someone get more if I need any and can't leave the house. Or just order. My DD lived in onesies for months among months...I'll probably do the same for this baby too. Not planning on getting other things till at least 4-5 months. By then we'll already be out and about and doing our own shopping probably.

Btw, I really love carter's. I have a bunch of swaddle cloths from their store from when DD was little, but she grew out of swaddling quite fast. I'm glad some of them are neural colored so new baby can use them too. I think I need to make a trip to their store soon...lol...

I have a few sleepsuits in newborn, my DD was in them two weeks and my DS was too big for newborn from birth! I kept all my DD's clothes but as she was born in December and this is a spring baby I think a lot of them will end up the wrong size at the wrong time of year. I am going to get three more 0-3 sleepsuits and take it from there once LO is here.

I buy my baby clothes on local Facebook yard sale pages. I'm entirely too cheap to spend $8 on one outfit for a tiny person who doesn't care and will probably only fit in it twice. :/ I got a large trash bag full of NB and 0-3m clothes for $20. Score!

Oh um gosh... I am part of a community group where people pass along things they no longer need.. Like baby clothes.. So from reading this I must confess. Hi, my name is Cassie, and I apparently have enough baby clothing to fashionably clothe a small army for the first 9 months of life... I'm not kidding. I have TONS. It was all given to me but my sizes range from newborn to 2T... I have at least 30 newborn outfits easily....

Thanks for all of your responses ladies!

I'm thinking I'll buy a few more newborn and maybe some 3 month sleepers/onesies and then be done until baby is born... Unless I find some good deals;) I just found DD's Halloween costume last night and that was 3-6 months (Carters) and in October she would have been 7 months. Soooooo I'm guessing 6 months (if baby is around the same size) won't be a good size to start with right away in the summer Lol..

Everything just looks so tiny and I'm used to buying DD her 3T clothes :p

I've been struggling with this one, too. Have had a lot of clothes given to me. Looks like I have TONS for 0-3 months, and 6-9 months, but barely any newborn clothes (like, three outfits, max). Do I buy some more newborns? What if she ends up being a big baby and doesn't fit them from the start? What if she's small and I need more??

Ug. I think I'm just going to wait and see at this point. If she needs more clothes I will appeal to her grandmothers to get some for me--or order online/go shopping shortly after she is born. Just too much to think about right now.

I need to take inventory on what clothes I have, but I'm focusing on stuff I can layer when I buy bigger sizes. I have a lot of hand me down 6-12 stuff, and a spattering of 3-6, but I think it's mostly short sleeves, which should be usable any season. I can always add little jackets or sweaters later, and I'll probably need pants.

I really didn't want to invest a lot in newborn clothes, so with a few exceptions, I bought it all used. At $1 per onesie, it's not much of a loss if it only fits for a week. I think the only newborn things I bought new were a going home outfit and a cute little sleeper that DH really wanted.

Anything really seasonal (holiday clothes, really warm clothes, swimwear) will wait til I have an idea of how he's growing.

If I didn't have all these hand me downs, I'd probably buy a few layerable outfits in each size, just so I wasn't totally screwed if he had a sudden growth spurt, but I wouldn't stock up on anything bigger than 3 months.

Yeah! They have a lot of their layering outfits at carters on sale right now and I'm probably going to buy two or so because I can always use a sweatshirt, pants, and onesie with any outfit and cardigans/sweatshirts can definitely be needed at night in the summer sometimes

I've bought four first size outfits and I've pulled out all of charlottes tiny baby and newborn sizes... I've not bought anything else yet other then scratch mits, hats socks etc.... Is that bad??

Omg shop shop shop!!!!!! :thumbsup:

It's good to be prepared, I've got far too much (it's my first) and I really don't care!!!

Enjoy it x

My daughter wore everything we bought and we bought a lot! Probably 20 baby grows in new born, 30-40 outfits and baby grows in 0-3 etc I bought up to 9-12 months and ages worn everything xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->