Get signed off again or not?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently on day 13 of a 14 day sick notes, due back to the Dr's tomorrow for review. When I went to the Dr's 2 weeks ago the nurse said she would sign me off again if I needed/wanted.

Now, I do feel better. But, I have had 2 weeks of rest and recuperation. My job is a receptionist, and I'm on my feet a lot. I have a thyroid problem which makes me very tired and I get run down very easily. I have had little colds and illnesses non-stop since Earl was born, and also been treated for depression.

My selfish side is thinking that I could get signed off for 4 weeks and that would be that. I am due to finish at 30 weeks anyway due to all of this and also other issues like big babies and bad hips. I have 1 month left at work, so I should just take it on the nose, get the 4 weeks sick note and have done with. However, we would lose about £80 a week in wages, and I would lose the good will I've built up there over the last 5 months that I've worked there. Last week I spoke to my boss and said that in all liklihood I would be back on Tuesday as planned, but getting closer I just can't face it. I feel really weak-willed as women work up til they are 39 weeks without issue, even at my place of work. My hubby is really understanding but I feel like I'm letting him down. I really don't want my depression to rear it's ugly head either, be it now or in a few months when baby is here.

My question is what would you do? I really wish someone would just give me permission to stay at home. the R&R has done me the world of good, but I know that I'm still not right (still having palpitations and feel really rotten at times. Think I'm getting another cold too!). I'm under the care of an endocrinologist and I'm due to see them this week too for a review as my medication and results are all over the place.

Having written all this down, I can see that health wise, I need to do what's best for me and for baby, but I still have my work ethic, and I know I SHOULD go back.

Go with your instincts. I worried when I was signed off for months but my body and my baby needed it. Sod the money health is more important and your hubby will be proud of you no matter what.

Go with your instincts. I worried when I was signed off for months but my body and my baby needed it. Sod the money health is more important and your hubby will be proud of you no matter what.

Thanks,

I think my problem can be summed up by the fact that I don't want to say 'I'm too ill to work' but at the same time I'm so tired I just want to give in.

I've spoken to the nurse this morning. Seeing her at 11.30 this morning and will update once I know. I explained to her that I'm unsure and she just said come in and I'll get the Dr to sign it for you, so she hasn't hesitated. But I dont know how long for. She also wants to make sure I've seen the endocrinologist before I go back at all, as I'm supposed to be under their care.

I spoke to my hubby last night and he thinks I'm building it up. I should just do what's best for me but it's so difficult. I'll have to see what the Dr/nurse says.

Sometimes your health has to be more important. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well I've been signed off for 2 more weeks and the nurse said that I shouldn't worry, especially as it's so close to my finish, as if there's any doubt then I'll get a note. She wants me to speak to the consultant and then go from there.

I have 2 more weeks, and now I have to speak to my boss and tell her I wont be in for the next fortnight and in all liklihood I wont be back in before my finish date either. This....I am dreading. I kind of feel like history is repeating itself from last time (had to leave my job at 16 weeks due to stress when I was PG with Earl).

Best be off to call my boss....wish me luck!

:hugs: Aimee, to be fair, you are unwell and until the dr's can sort out your levels etc then you have a genuine reason to be off, your not just making it all up! :hugs:

I know it's hard with the 'work ethic bug' niggiling at the back of the brain, I am sat in work after having only 3 days off even though I am not 100% better because of one and I am the fool for it really! It's not a bad thing, it means when you are well you will return, when that time comes but it's just maybe not the time yet.

I felt a little sad when you said other women work until 39 weeks ~ yeah they do but like you say, your down for complications, you don't have that option and you shouldn't feel bad about it at all! There are genuine reasons why :hugs: Not everyone can go so far at work by no fault of their own. It sounds to me (by how your writing) the best place IS for you at home right now and when you are ready to return to work you can kick butt and show them you mean business but don't even worry a smidge about that until it's time! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

PS good luck calling your boss :flower:

hey love i too am in the same boat, im currently on the sick, i have 3 weeks left after this, im carrying identical twins which are high risk along with i ahve a neuro ccondition called myastheania gravis, i have bn in so much pain in my abdomen area since finding out i was pregnant, sometimes i could cry it hurts so much-which is why im off, the more physical i do the more it hurts, i work as a nursery nurse and as u can imagine my job is very physically demanding. ill be 17 wks when im due to go back to work, my doctor has already said she doesnt think the job is going to be possible carrying twins and ill have to leave early anyway as the babies will be delivered between 36 and 37 weeks, the thought of going back to work knocks me sick as im qiute terrified about this pregnancy and have bn told i need to take it easy. i too dont know whether to return at all. theses baboes will be here in 24 weeks if not earlier, and im wondering if theres even any point in going back. its so hard because you feel as though people are bickering about you, i have never used pregnancy a s an illness and worked until 38wks with my son, but his was a breeze(not the labour may i add). i think the other girls are right and we do need to put our selves and babies first. its just work after all. i think if i do go back itll only be for a short period and ill ask to do office dutie and not be based in a room.
sorry for the long rant back but its so nice to know im not the only one going through this.
hope yr feeling better soon .

You have genuine reason's to be off hun and the safety of yours and the baby's life's comes first.I think it all in us to feel guilty when we have to phone in sick and/or the employer can be seen to be trying to force you back into work or make you feel guilty.But they can't say anything to you as you've been officially signed off by a doctor :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->