Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

already started a thread but i'm desperate foradvise so thought i 'dpost here too. thanks in advance!

--------------
my LO is 6 1/2 month old and EBF
we had loads of problems for a long time due to TT and awful latch etc etc but we've been doing really well for a few months now :thumbup:
for the last couple of days his latch was not very good. i put it down to his teeth getting bigger (he's got them for a couple of months now, but they are growing and i think it takes him a while to adjust to them being bigger - he's usually fine after a few days). my right breast was particularly painful so a few times i unlatched him and switched sides. i woke up this morning to two extremely painful hard lumps. he refuses to latch on that side so i can't drain them but when he does the pain in my nipple is awful feels like glass inside.
i had blocked ducts before and it was never as painful - can this be something else?
please help!!

edit: i just realised i seem to have a white blister on my nipple?

Do you think it could be a milk bleb/blister? This involves blocked ducts but the milk is trapped into a painful white blister usually on the nipple or areola xx

I agree it sounds like a bleb. I get them way too often. Try to make the baby nurse on it extra through the unbearable pain. I almost exclusively pump, but the pump can take a few days to get it out (even with hot compresses, etc), and it may take up to a day with nursing. This is also the only time I take hot showers or baths and just massage. The nursing, I prefer baby sleeping because she sucks harder/longer, will eventually make the blister bigger/loose off your nipple at which time you either wait til it pops or you can pinch off a bit of the blister and the milk will come shooting out. Make sure you drain the breast really well immediately after it pops. I try to pump then hand express to make sure it's drained.

Try to wash your nipples with soap and dry them well after feeds, and use some thick nipple cream for a little bit. Your breast and nipple will be sore for up to days afterwards. Take a pain reducer until it pops and shortly after.

My dr said not much can be done to prevent other than making sure to empty and keeping breasts extra clean because some people are just prone to them.

What I do is get in the shower and use really hot water.
While facing the shower, so the hot water gets on your boob and makes the milk flow, massage your boob from the hard/painful spot towards your nipple.
I have success with this 100% of the time.

thanks everybody! sorry i could not reply sooner as my internet connection was down.
went to the doc who prescribed antibiotics 'just in case'. got home, LO was very hungry, managed to latch him on properly and in a matter of minutes the lumps were gone!! :happydance: he's a star!! :haha:
the bleb is still there though - what should i do?
also his latch seems to be worse during night feeds -more shallow, is this because he's actually comfort sucking?

thanks!

What I do is get in the shower and use really hot water.
While facing the shower, so the hot water gets on your boob and makes the milk flow, massage your boob from the hard/painful spot towards your nipple.
I have success with this 100% of the time.

i found the hot water on my nipples really hurt at first from the flowing shower head... so first the few few weeks i actually wore a bikini top in the shower. I was still able to get the hot water flowing over them but the bikini top helped with the tenderness of the water hitting them :)

Kosh, is it still painful? It may either be backing up slowly or clearing up slowly. His bad latch is probably adding to the problem if not creating. Try to unlatch/latch until its good.

I thought she has cleared the blockage and the pain had gone but I've just started shivering and shaking and noticed a red area. Feel rubbish. Waiting for doctor to call me back now as gp is closed.

I thought she has cleared the blockage and the pain had gone but I've just started shivering and shaking and noticed a red area. Feel rubbish. Waiting for doctor to call me back now as gp is closed.

The advice I got from my BFing consultant with the same mastitis-threatening symptoms was to take nurofen as it's anti-inflammatory and keep letting bubber to clear it up. It worked for me, the day after I was fine.

Am taking ibuprofen and have the antibiotics now to start. So strange as I really am not as sore anymore but feel quite unwell which I didn't yesterday.

:yipee: I'm on the list now!

Can I get trained Peer supporter on there too though? :thumbup:

xXx

Looking for tips

My boobs are huge and I can't do the cradle hold - they curve out the sides under my arms and it's very awkward to hold her like that. However I really want to do the cradle hold for when we are nip. So is there anything I can do?

I found I couldn't do the cradle hold til he was a bit bigger, probably 4m. Also I got a bra with the a frame cups so they still have a bit of support (hot milk do some like that). It's awkward sometimes but keep trying as baby grows it'll get easier to do cradle hold.

I agree... we couldnt do the cradle hold at first because of a bad latch and he needed more guidance... but i think as your LO gets older he will be able to nurse in almost any position. For now can you try the football hold to get started?

If I'm
Sitting in a chair thigh, what to do with her feet in the football hold? I can adapt in the house and use pillows but when nip I don't have access to pillows....?

Can you do an opposite breast feed on a cradle hold? Might work depending on how large your breasts are, but idk about back strain. We had to opposite breast side lying until it started working better for us, maybe it helps you?

Or what about a carrier, a pouch style to the side? That way bum and legs are well supported.

I've thought about a carrier but haven't a clue where to start (I have a homemade wrap?)

Not sure what you mean about opposite cradle hold?

Like, cradle baby with head on the right, more towards the middle, and offer the left breast.

I had a peanut shell carrier when baby was very small, I could put that towards the side and have her be in a little pouch.

I nevrt got the hang of cradle hold, even now I struggle. I feed upright, with her legs straddling my leg. I find it much easier, and it's really discreet and easy to do in public. It seems to help with her wind too,she burps in her own now :) normally mid suck haha xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->