• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Thank you so much! I posted another thread that nobody has responded to here: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/1901763-many-feeds-8-month-old-please-help.html

Basically my son isn't gaining a lot of weight and our doctor had suggested giving formula after I BF. I am really not comfortable with this. I am wanting to know if he is eating the average amount and maybe he is just a skinny baby (he is very long). All of our history is in the other thread and how he eats.

Today he hardly ate anything until tonight. I pumped twice and got just over 7 oz in the morning and only 5oz in the afternoon, he drank about 7 oz all day except the few mins combined of eating and pulling away to play. Then he ate more before bed, but not as much as usual and he woke an hour later hungry and ate more. I will go in and feed him again before I go to bed so he will at least have 4 feeds (including the expressed milk). It was very hot today so that could be part of the reason.

I just can't believe our doctor would ever suggest formula. We have worked extremely hard to get to where we are today and I don't have plans to stop unless I get pregnant or he self weans. I understand he only suggested supplementing, but that makes me want to cry. I thought we were past that. :(

Thank you so much! I posted another thread that nobody has responded to here: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/1901763-many-feeds-8-month-old-please-help.html

Basically my son isn't gaining a lot of weight and our doctor had suggested giving formula after I BF. I am really not comfortable with this. I am wanting to know if he is eating the average amount and maybe he is just a skinny baby (he is very long). All of our history is in the other thread and how he eats.

Today he hardly ate anything until tonight. I pumped twice and got just over 7 oz in the morning and only 5oz in the afternoon, he drank about 7 oz all day except the few mins combined of eating and pulling away to play. Then he ate more before bed, but not as much as usual and he woke an hour later hungry and ate more. I will go in and feed him again before I go to bed so he will at least have 4 feeds (including the expressed milk). It was very hot today so that could be part of the reason.

I just can't believe our doctor would ever suggest formula. We have worked extremely hard to get to where we are today and I don't have plans to stop unless I get pregnant or he self weans. I understand he only suggested supplementing, but that makes me want to cry. I thought we were past that. :(

Will respond on you thread hun. :hugs:

I have a question. My daughter is six months old n we have been fighting with thrush. Well it's been going on for two weeks now. How can I tell if I got it or not.

I have a question. My daughter is six months old n we have been fighting with thrush. Well it's been going on for two weeks now. How can I tell if I got it or not.

If you have thrush too then you will generally experience pain upon feeding, although obviously everyone is different with varying pain thresholds etc.

Regardless of if you have pain or not though if one of you has thrush then you both need to be treated to stop you just passing the infection back and forth.

What treatment are you using?

They have her on the nyastin oral and they gave her a nystatin cream for her private spot as she had a yeast rash too. Her doctor which was my doctor as a kid said to put the cream on my nipples if I get the bumps like she does down there. But I have always had little red bump so it's hard for me to tell if they r just my normal ones or if it's thrush. I have no pain in my nipples but once in awhile, while I'm feeding her I get a burning sensation. I've been fighting this thrush for three weeks I just want it to go away.

They have her on the nyastin oral and they gave her a nystatin cream for her private spot as she had a yeast rash too. Her doctor which was my doctor as a kid said to put the cream on my nipples if I get the bumps like she does down there. But I have always had little red bump so it's hard for me to tell if they r just my normal ones or if it's thrush. I have no pain in my nipples but once in awhile, while I'm feeding her I get a burning sensation. I've been fighting this thrush for three weeks I just want it to go away.

You absolutely need to treat yourself too love, you'll just be passing it back and forth otherwise even if you don't have any classic symptoms

need a little encouragement/ advice here
mom to 1 year od BFbaby(just turned 1 yesterday). and 3 year old EBF (for 1 year)
my problem is my 1 year old is not a great eater and BF.He take sips during the day and just has a decent drink at night when sleeping I dont have a great spply which is obious because he feeds so little. He weighs just 19.5 pounds. sice he was born he lost 3 centiles. The PHN is not very worried about it though.she says he is healthy and milestones met. BUt i feel he is not . he does not take bottle/sippi/ cups . He just drinks water using the cup after food. I was depressed before and this is getting me even more down. I try to give him formula with breakfast/ crumble biscuts/ yogurts but nothing really substantial.
There is no way he take bottle/sippi/ straw/ cups etc have tried a few different ones and now at 1 year althought id love to BF am afraid that he will not have enough strenght to do what a baby shoud be doing.Also he and I are vegeterian. what shoudl I do here, I think because of this its spoiling my BF relationship with my little bubs .how do i encourage him to take the sippi or drink milk from a cup?

19.5lbs is not that small for a one year old I am pretty sure my second youngest was around that. Now he is really chunky at two and a half. xx

I need some encouragement and advice. I have 11 month old twins who have always done well with BFing. I would like to extended breastfeed, just not 8 times a day. So I've been (what I thought was) slowly cutting down. The babies don't really seem to want to eat that often, but I was doing it because I was super anxious about letting my milk supply decrease too soon before they were one year old. Also with them being pre-term they've always been on the smaller side of the growth charts. So I would set a timer and feed every 3 hours or so regardless. But the past couple months I've been trying to let the babies lead the feeding schedule instead.

Well.... this has led to mastitis (right after we moved to a new state, so = stress) about a month ago. And last week I got a bleb on a nipple with a lot of backed up milk behind it, which I was able to correct fairly quickly. Well, now I have a plugged duct. GAH! I think it was from letting the babies crawl all over me while I was on the floor and one of them put a lot of weight on their hand on the lower part of my breast. Could that cause it??

Anyway, I guess I'm needing encouragement to keep going with BFing AFTER they hit their adjusted 1 year mark. And secondly, how in the heck to do you properly cut down on feedings to avoid these issues?? The babies really don't seem to mind not eating as often, but my breasts just can't seem to handle it and it's very, very frustrating!!! :(

sigh...

you poor thing that must be stressful moving, worrying about weight etc... The best way to cut down is cut one feed at a time (allow you body to adjust each time). It takes a while and if they don't want to feed hand express and cut down slowly. With the last feeds my daughter dropped before she self weaned I was uncomfortable but hand expressed and slowly cut it out. My LO fed a lot at 11 months and by the time she reached about 18 months she had naturally cut down to 2-3 feeds a day finally self weaning at 22 months. You are doing so well, Im not sure leaning on you can cause mastitis but I know when my LO was cutting feeds if she leant on me it was uncomfortable. If I was uncomfortable I expressed in warm bath or shower which usually sorted it. For me it was a case of my letting my body get used to it, I followed exactly what my LO wanted and we cut down naturally. Your doing so well with feeding your two los

Hello ladies! :wave:

My apologies for not being about for the LONGEST time, I returned to work and shortly after I became pregnant again and have suffered from HG this time around. All my spare time (like I have much of that with a toddler! :haha: ) has been spent sleeping, but I am slowly getting some energy back so I promise to check on here more often!

I am going to be updating the list of champions in about a weeks time, so if you'd like to become a champion pm me a few details about the areas you feel you can pass on some knowledge/advice to others (e.g. co-sleeping/thrush/allergies/self-weaning to name a few!). The only real requirement to being a champ is 3+ months of feeding (or pumping if you've gone down that route), and a willingness to reply to any pms you receive asking for help.

If you are listed as a champion and wish to be removed from the list, again please pm me and let me know.

Thanks! :flower:

Hi, just wondering how do i get a bf champion? Need help. Breastfeeding 2 wks now. Had to use a shield on one side due to a flat nipple and when i tried to phase it out ended up with a cracked nipple. It wont heal and has gotten much more painful. Now have pain in both boobs and nipples and think its thrush. Never even realised u could get this until i was reading another post.

What do i do now? Please help.

Also am being advised to pump and cup feed after bfing as baby isnt gaining enough weight.

Anyone ever have same?

Thanks ladies

Hi nuff. Im I new champion. If u look in baby's mount and see white cottage cheese looking stuff all in her mouth than it's thrush. If u think u have thrush u would have little red bumps on ur nipples and could be very painful. If u see any of that than u need to go to the doctors to have it looked at and most likely get antibiotics.

Hi, just wondering how do i get a bf champion? Need help. Breastfeeding 2 wks now. Had to use a shield on one side due to a flat nipple and when i tried to phase it out ended up with a cracked nipple. It wont heal and has gotten much more painful. Now have pain in both boobs and nipples and think its thrush. Never even realised u could get this until i was reading another post.

What do i do now? Please help.

Also am being advised to pump and cup feed after bfing as baby isnt gaining enough weight.

Anyone ever have same?

Thanks ladies

Are you using anything to help that crack heal? I'd recommend Lansinoh lanolin, but if you do have thrush it can make things worse, so get that checked out first. Also, let your breasts air as much as possible to aid the healing. Don't be afraid to go back to using the shield until you feel that crack has healed a bit either! I used shields for 3 months and never had a problem with supply.

When you say baby isn't gaining enough weight, what exactly do you mean? Is baby gaining, and back to birthweight? If so, I wouldn't be worried, it's normal for bf babies to gain weight a little slower than formula fed babies. So long as you get plenty of wet/dirty nappies, baby seems happy, and there is some weight gain there is no need to panic! :flower:

If you want to be paired up with someone after reading this, just let me know :)

I have a question, maybe someone can help me...

My LO is almost 8 months, since we finally got her breastfeeding (instead of pumped milk in bottles) she has been great, no real issues. However lately she has become very fussy when I put her on the breast, she pulls off, bites, its like shes just playing. She'll sit up, look around and lay down latch, just to pull off, sit up and look around again, and so on. I'm worried.. could my supply be low, is she frustrated? Could that be possible at this stage of breastfeeding? Or is this just a distracted baby?

She feeds the best when she's falling asleep, or just waking up.

Janers, I am not a BF Champion as I have issues still myself, but I wanted to share with you that my son is the EXACT same. I chalked it up to being very distracted. I went to the International Breastfeeding Centre and I was told it could be due to flow (not supply) and to do breast compressions. So far when he is distracted it doesn't work, but you could try that.

Hmm that could definitely be it, did they say why your flow may have changed? Or how to fix it, doing compressions must just be a short term solution right?

Thanks bbygurl and nervous1,

I would defo like to be paired with someone. Defo need help. Im stuck in d house not driving after my section so cant access any support groups in the area. No one i know has breastfed so am just googling everything. Havent a clue what im doing really!

He has only just returned to his birth weight but my latch wasnt good. I didnt realise i had to wake him to feed him either at d start. (Still not sure on this point). Im feeding on demand during d day and waking him at night every 3 and a half hours. Do i need to do this?

Thanks again for d replies ladies.

I have no idea why you were told to do compressions, I've never heard that before!! It was my experience that around this age baby is simply more curious about the world around them and want to be exploring it, yet at the same time they aren't ready to forego the feeding :haha:

Feeding in a darkened room with no distractions can help, or you could try a nursing necklace (google them) so that they can play with that while concentrating on the feed. I did the latter and it worked a treat for me! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->