Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I hope the tongue tie snip helps! My son has a mild to moderate tongue tie which didn't need snipping but both the paediatrician and midwife when he was born who were trained to look for TT didn't spot it xx

I am so excited I have been Bfing for 1 month!!! How do I get the BFing milestone patches?? I so want one cause I am so happy to say I am a BFing mommy. I do soley BF without pumping but I have been wondering how to incorporate it. I don't think I want to do it anytime so but I am kinda curious. I did pump at bit in the beggining but it seemed to really mess with my his feedings.

I am so excited I have been Bfing for 1 month!!! How do I get the BFing milestone patches?? I so want one cause I am so happy to say I am a BFing mommy. I do soley BF without pumping but I have been wondering how to incorporate it. I don't think I want to do it anytime so but I am kinda curious. I did pump at bit in the beggining but it seemed to really mess with my his feedings.

badges are here

I started immediately pumping because LO had a tongue tie, so he had to be topped up with either EBM or Formula, and no way was my son getting formula! Did you try pumping from the opposite breast he was feeding off while he was feeding, I found it flowed easier and faster too, and didn't mess with LO at all!

If your baby has 5x substantially wet nappies a day and at least 2 very substantial dirty yellowish ones (most lactation consultants will prefer to see 3-4, minimum £2 coin size), is alert some of the time, their soft spot is not sunken, their skin has good elasticity and isn't pale or wrinkled; then they are getting enough.

bf babies can go days without a poo. my hv said that they can go up to 10 days. my son went days at a go without poos and was fine! wet nappies are more important than pooey ones! check that the fontanelle is not sunken and baby should feed and latch off herself. weight gain is also obviously a good indicator!

Thanks. Is it different for babies who have struggled with weight gain?

Also, why does my baby seemingly take a good feed from me, falls off herself by then wakes again withiminutes crying?

some babies are fussy! my DD was a nightmare. she was really colicky and cried all the time.

Gertrude how old is your baby? The fussines could be a growth spurt xx

Only 2 dirty nappies? I've been told 6 +

No, its 6 wet nappies whoever told you 6 dirty must be confusing the two. Some babies do poo 6+ times and this is normal; however its at the higher end of normal. In the first six weeks they should poo every day, as it shows they are getting enough hindmilk. If you're giving formula top ups it can clog them up a bit and cause them not to poo daily; or to poo less times than they expect; but generally the WHO/UNICEF say babies should poo at least twice a day when BF in the first 4-6 weeks; LLL and most other lactation consultants say 3-4 times is preferable; and the poos should be £2 coin size.

bf babies can go days without a poo. my hv said that they can go up to 10 days. my son went days at a go without poos and was fine! wet nappies are more important than pooey ones! check that the fontanelle is not sunken and baby should feed and latch off herself. weight gain is also obviously a good indicator!

In the first 4-6 weeks it is important they poo every day; at least twice. Sometimes babies will poo less or skip days in the first 6 weeks and it not be a problem; but often it can indicate a problem with intake or with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Often when babies are not getting enough hindmilk they will not poo at all; rather than having green runny poo. This is why its important to speak to a HV or your MW if its early days and your baby is not pooing as expected.

No its fine; the more poos the better! More poos=the more milk they are getting. My LO was going up to 12 times at one point, it was annoying going through 200 nappies in 2 and a half weeks but it was a sign he was getting loads so that was reassuring at least. Its just most babies will poo on average 3-4 times a day and so this is the minimum amount LCs are looking for. Its just you get a lot of people saying its fine for LOs to skip days; and this is correct; but only after 4-6 weeks. xx

in a week? oh bloody hell :haha:

can I ask another question please? I've just gone to feed LO and she's been full of kicks, hands all over the place - there's only so many times I can have my nipple kicked before it really starts to hurt. She also hasn't really settled (and no where near emptied either boob as I can still feel them). She's having her top up (as one BF counsellor suggested I view it as medicine until she's at birth weight and I like that better) and I'll offer her the boob again when she's finished but it's driving me mad :(

Whats the kicking about? Is it wind? We've winded her a fair bit and only little burps ever come out - any ideas? I really want to make this BF thing work but being kicked isn't helping! *holds sore nipples*

Sometimes it calms down in a few days but I say a week to be on the safe side! Try swaddling before feeding to stop her lashing out xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->