Getting a full feed in the bottle.

Andi86

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I have an appointment coming up so my LO is going to be with my mom during that time. I'm planning on leaving a bottle with my mom of expressed milk but here is the thing I can only pump 2 oz at a time and my LO needs 3-4 oz. for a full feed. Ive read your not supposed to mix new and old breastmilk. I do have frozen stashes of 2oz servings but they arent from the same day. I was wondering can I thaw these and add them to one bottle? or do i need two seperate bottles with 2 oz in each? It seems like a pain to have a bunch of bottles made for one feed.
How do you ladies out there do it to make one bottle?

Don't know anything about thawing the frozen... But when I was in hospital some of the nurses mixed milk to the one bottle, can't remember if it was the same days though... Hope that is of some use... Xxxxx

I would think it's fine. As long as all the milk is good still and you don't re freeze I don't see a problem.

I mix when I need to and my little guy has never had a problem

Totally fine.

I think not mixing has more to do with not mixing different temperatures (like freshly expressed milk with cold milk in the fridge... though to be honest I did that sometimes too.)

I mix all the time! As long as both are in date then surely it's fine.

I mixed all the time. I even mixed fresh expressed and recently (3-4 hours) refrigerated, it was going to be consumed within 24 hours so I didn't worry.

How do you know your LO needs 3-4oz for a full feed? Is this something you regularly do so you know how much they take, or just a number you were told? DS would drink no more than 2-2.5 oz from a bottle at a time. He would just take enough to keep him from being so hungry and then wait for me to come home.

How do you know your LO needs 3-4oz for a full feed? Is this something you regularly do so you know how much they take, or just a number you were told? DS would drink no more than 2-2.5 oz from a bottle at a time. He would just take enough to keep him from being so hungry and then wait for me to come home.

I know because he seems hungry still after getting only 2 oz. We have only fed him from a bottle twice. The first time (last week) I just wanted to see if he would take a bottle. My husband fed him and there was 2oz in it. He drank it all but I had to finish by breastfeeding because he was still hungry. Then the second time my DH got up with him in the night he gave him 2 oz. but he was still hungry so he thawed another 2 oz and gave him it and that seemed to be enough.
Also I went to this site https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

they have a calculator that you put in the # of feeds a day and it averages how many oz your LO needs per feed.

I normally mix different days as long as they are still in date and both refrigerated that's absolutely fine. Thawed milk should be used within 24 hrs and I have mixed it with refrigerated milk, as lo doesn't seem to keen on the thawed milk - no idea why this is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->