Getting a kitten Update and pics!

Natsku

Reaction score
We're thinking of getting a kitten (someone my OH has done some work for, his cat has had kittens and he asked if we would like one) but I've never had a cat before and haven't a clue about taking care of them! OH has had cats before but seeing as I'm the one at home I'd be taking care of it the most.

So questions - what do I need for a kitten? litter tray obviously, a food bowl, what else?
Toddlers and kittens - what can I expect about this?
Vet stuff - do they need regular check ups at the vet? vaccinations?
Anything else I need to know?

So questions - what do I need for a kitten? litter tray obviously, a food bowl, what else?

That's it! Obviously toys are nice and a cat bed if you don't want it on furniture but they'll happily play with socks all day! A scratching post can also be a good idea.

Toddlers and kittens - what can I expect about this?

My LO has always been wonderful with our cats. Of course you should teach Maria to be gentle and not to do things like push the kitten or pull its tail but that's very easy to do. Obviously it depends on personality but we haven't had any problems, though the few times he has pulled a tail we have had a very serious talk about it. A male kitten is perhaps a good idea as they're in general more friendly than female, though that said our 'male' kitten turned out to be female and has always tolerated Rory well.

Vet stuff - do they need regular check ups at the vet? vaccinations?

Some people will say that they do but others say they don't. I've never vaccinated my cats and they're fine. Definitely a good idea to neuter them though, especially if they'll be outdoor cats. You'll also need to deflea them once a month and give them regular worming tablets, but that's very simple.

toys are a good idea. Don't need to be fancy. Ping-pong balls are always a great kitten toy.

My toddler loves our cat, but she's an old cat. I don't have experience with kittens and toddlers. I have had kittens in the past and they are nuts! :haha: When you'll get your kitten he'll probably still be in the cute clumsy stage, but soon he'll stop being clumsy and be crazy instead. I've seen kittens literally bouncing off walls (yes, I do mean literally). It's fun, but it might drive you crazy too. You may want to close the door to your bedroom at night if you do not want to become a trampoline or your toes a prey. :haha:

For vet care, annual checkups are a good idea. Vaccinations you might not need to do every year. Most vaccinations are good for a few years.
You will want to get the cat fixed. Some vets will do it with kittens, others prefer to wait until they are a bit older.
Personally I would not have the cat declawed. Depending on where you are, many vets will offer it as a package deal with fixing the cat, as if it's no big deal. But if you are thinking about it, please read up on it first. It's not as simple as removing claws... they amputate the tip of the fingers. It can be painful for a cat and it is illegal in some countries.

Aw lovely, I'd love another kitten!
I'd definitely get toys so it doesn't get bored and it will hopefully prevent it scratching at furniture and stuff less. We had a scratch pole thingy for our cat which it loved.
I think as long as you teach LO to be kind and gentle to the kitten they'll be fine :)
I vaccinated my cat as a kitten but never again, we did get him wormed regularly though. And if you have a female you'll definitely want her done so she can't have kittens and even a male I'd consider it too.

Kittens are great fun and cats in general are low-maintenance pets. Kittens are especially entertaining! You have your basics as you already know. You also want to trim those nails down regularly because kitten nails are extremely sharp and it will help the cat get used to having his/her paws handled in the longrun. They also sell 'soft paws' that are plastic caps that cover the nails but I don't know how safe that is if there are babies around that still put things in their mouth. Definitely need to spay/neuter him or her as you don't want to deal with the hormones and markings. I don't let my cats out - they are strictly indoor cats but that is just my personal preference. I'd definitely recommend a microchip while having the spay/neuter done (easy and painless to do while they are under). You don't have to get anything fancy but I definitely recommend things they can scratch up. Even just a cheap rug secured around a banister with cable ties can work well, so you don't need to go all out with an expensive cat tree if you don't want to. Empty cardboard boxes can also be great fun. One thing you might want to keep in mind is that some kittens do like to chew so you might want to hide those cables :) As for the vaccinations, like kids, they have their boosters as kittens and then it just becomes maintenance. Kitten should be dewormed as an extra precaution. If the cat goes outside, this is definitely something you want to keep up as well as flea prevention. Just know that they can be a lil hyper at night, especially as kittens so it might run around the house if allowed to do so. They can sound more like a stampede than a kitten when this happens :winkwink: :haha: They are fun though, not much to worry about really. :flower:

Thanks! I shall get some toys then.

Pretty sure declawing is illegal here, I wouldn't do it anyway.

Hmm another question - indoor or outdoor? Can't put cat flaps in doors here (would let all the cold in!) so can a cat be an outdoor cat if they can't get in and out by themselves? Would it be better to just keep it as an indoor cat?

Mine are indoor only. We live in the city and cats get hit by cars daily. They fight a ton as well. I just don't have it in me to send them out and not know if they'll come back that day, or the next, etc. Of course, on the other hand, other people would call me cruel for 'depriving a cat of its independence'. :shrug: I have a dog too, but no one bats an eye when I don't let him out and about, not that he likes exploring any less! We have a 3 floor home with lots of windows, toys, other pets, and a new cat tree coming. They are healthy and seem happy. One of my cats comes in the yard with us in the summer as she likes to just sit there with us. I have a clothesline I've run from the house to the shed and then attached another line to with on which she is harnessed so she can walk about freely but not leave the yard. My cats don't poop in other people's yards, unlike my neighbor's who is constantly in mine which I despise. However, it's all very controversial and it's all down to opinion so you'll have to choose what's best for you.

There's a main road really close by to where I live so maybe indoor would be safer, though my house is pretty small so I dunno.

It's been pretty much covered anyway Hun I have a 2 year old cat and she hasn't calmed at all (iv had her a few months now but owned another cat since kitten age) she is still crazy like a kitten! Should still vaccinate them even if not going out (after initial vaccinations get boosters) as you can carry some diseases for them.

My cat is indoor and I just make sure she has lots to do and lots to be occupied with. She sits happily on the window etc.

My other cat is an indoor cat now but had previously been outdoor and we just used to let her in and out via door she would come the the window to get in again

Thanks so much for your info! Just thought of another question - are kittens usually litter box trained by the time they are weaned from their mum or will I need to litter box train it? How do I do that?

You will need jt do it Hun. Cats are generally clever so after every meal or sleep pick kitten up and take to litter tray, they should get the just. Also gently take kittens owa and "dig" the litter to show how to bury etc a few times and kitten should go on own

I disagree. I think most cats learn from their mother. If they are not litter trained then it's likely they're too young to leave.

Not always true. Some people with outdoor cats don't have litter boxes

Great advice here! Definitely post pictures once you get a kitten! I'd love one but we already have 2 cats so enough is enough :)

I grew up with lots of cats and most of them were happy to be indoor cats if they were raised that way. My 2 are. But occasionally we did have a cat who would always try to escape and seemed to just need to be an indoor/outdoor cat. Cats who are indoors live longer on average though and then you can often get away without some of the vaccines. But your kitty will tell you if they just can't stand it!

As for the litter box, most won't need any help. Both of my kittens found their litter box all on their own and started using it from day 1 that we had them home. But I think it's a good idea to have the cat in a small room like a bathroom when they're young and you're not home. That way they're close to their box and any accidents would be easy to clean up!

Well we don't have carpets and there's just two rugs down on the floor so not too much worry about accidents! And I'm home most of the day anyway. I'm mostly worried about cables now, how can I protect them? There's quite a few and the modem wire will need to run across the hall way so very open.

Yeah, both of my cats have nibbled a few wires when they were kittens! I think they're especially into it when they're teething. I'd start by just sharply saying "no" and distracting the kitten when you're around and keeping them in a room with no wires when you're not. If they keep doing it I know pet stores have rubs that taste bad to cats that you can put on where they're chewing. And the good news is that most cats seem to outgrow it :)

Thats a good idea, thanks. Would probably be good anyway as Maria is always tripping over cables and pulling them out.

For the wires, you can rub them with an orange peel, lemon peel, etc. They normally stay away from anything citrus-y. I have styrofoam tubes I bought at the DIY store for very cheap. It already has a slit in it so I just pop the wires in the tube. I have rabbits so I keep my wires covered :haha: Some people use aquarium tubing. It's a great product but it's more expensive and you'd need to cut a slit in it. Kittens normally don't tend to chew very long, though you always get that random cat that stays a chewer. I don't think it's a huge thing, just pull them into a bundle, secure them, and maybe rub the peel on them and I think it'll be fine. It's especially thing like earphones, cell phone chargers, etc. that might dangle that will catch their attention. I cannot tell you how many earphones I lost to teeth!!! :haha:

:flower:

Ah, as for the litterbox... Oftentimes this isn't an issue. I recommend limiting the kitten's space until you know s/he is using it and then gradually increase the space until you are comfy with it. Usually, they say to get one more litterbox than cat but I have one per cat myself. It can be handy to have more than one for sure with a kitten if you have a big house, especially if you have several floors.

Also, avoid leaving piles of laundry, blankets in the floor as that might make a comfy litter spot.

Ah I knew I could trust BnB to give some great info and advice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->