Getting baby Christened?

I'm pagan and we plan to do a Wiccaning for Damien and this baby but not until they're ready and they understand what it is. Everyone around me would love for me to get them christened but it's not who we are or what we believe in so I personally don't care what they think it's our children and what we want is all that matters. You do what you feel is right for your child. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

That sounds interesting. What does a Wiccaning involve? I've heard of Paganism but I've never known anyone who practices so I son't really understand how it works.

whats the difference between christian n prodestant? keepin on topic.... my kids definately are not getting christened unless in their adulthood and they want to be. both OH and myself were christened as kids....... and i resent my parents 4 getting me christened and they know how i feel about them doing it.

whats the difference between christian n prodestant? keepin on topic.... my kids definately are not getting christened unless in their adulthood and they want to be. both OH and myself were christened as kids....... and i resent my parents 4 getting me christened and they know how i feel about them doing it.

There's no difference. Protestantism is a denomination of Christianity.

A protestant (often prounounced prod) is a Christian. I think the poster was trying to say they are Anglican rather than Roman Catholic ?? :wacko:

Both are Christians though!

ahhhh thought so.... just got puzzled. ty 4 gettin back to me.

A protestant (often prounounced prod) is a Christian. I think the poster was trying to say they are Anglican rather than Roman Catholic ?? :wacko:

Yes, I think that poster (Donna) was a bit confused.

Totally Mommy - me and OH are pagan too. But we're not Wiccan, so won't be giving our LO a Wiccaning at any point unless they request one. We will be having a naming ceremony. You can have a civil one, or humanist. There are lots of options these days.

I think the blessing might be a good option for you Rae.

We won't be raising the LO in any faith, but will aim to educate them on all sorts of religions and spiritual paths, it will be totally up to them if they choose to follow one.

My degree is in Religious Studies, so I have a good basis on which to begin the teaching process!

Yes, I think that poster (Donna) was a bit confused.

Totally Mommy - me and OH are pagan too. But we're not Wiccan, so won't be giving our LO a Wiccaning at any point unless they request one. We will be having a naming ceremony. You can have a civil one, or humanist. There are lots of options these days.

I think the blessing might be a good option for you Rae.

We won't be raising the LO in any faith, but will aim to educate them on all sorts of religions and spiritual paths, it will be totally up to them if they choose to follow one.

My degree is in Religious Studies, so I have a good basis on which to begin the teaching process!

Me toooooo(religious studies major with double soci and political science minor), which is exactly why I don't want to choose Kennedy's faith for her!! I know there are such different views and opinions in every one. Who am I to tell her what to believe?

Me toooooo(religious studies major with double soci and political science minor), which is exactly why I don't want to choose Kennedy's faith for her!! I know there are such different views and opinions in every one. Who am I to tell her what to believe?

Precisely.

This is going to sound so bad but im getting baby christened as its an excuse to show off our new arrival and have a bloody good party afterwards !! hee hee

xx

This is going to sound so bad but im getting baby christened as its an excuse to show off our new arrival and have a bloody good party afterwards !! hee hee

xx

There are other ways to do that. You don't have to disrespect a Christian church to do that :dohh:

I intend to get LO christened. I personally am not Catholic but my mum and grandmother are so he/she will be brought to church by them. There are a number of factors that have affected my decision to do so. I was brought up a catholic but thought about all other religions at home and when I was old enough I was allowed to make my own decision. (My dad isn't catholic either) Also here almost all the schools are catholic, and I dont want my child to grow up being different or left out. Which is exactly what would happen if he/she wasn't christened.

I also think that the lesson they teach in schools via religion are a great way to explain things such as morals, right, wrong etc to children (which Ill obviously be doing myself at home)

But the main reason is that that was how I was raised and I have no questions or uncertainty regards my faith. I feel it worked really well for me.

There is a part of me though that does wish we had non denominational schools here.

Yeah, I was christened as a Christian but Im not a religious person. So I say i'm a prodestant, which I thought was no religion. :dohh:

Were not getting Lexie christened now,because she isn't going to be brought up as a christian. We'll let her decide when she's older.

Yeah, I was christened as a Christian but Im not a religious person. So I say i'm a prodestant, which I thought was no religion. :dohh:

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or something (some Catholics believe Protestantism is as good as having no religion) most Christians in the UK are Protestants of one variety or another, most being Anglican.

Atheist is the most common way of describing yourself if you have no religion, but it can just mean you don't believe in any deities, which doesn't necessarily mean you're not religious/spiritual.

Sorry, off topic.

That sounds interesting. What does a Wiccaning involve? I've heard of Paganism but I've never known anyone who practices so I son't really understand how it works.

You can get a whole ritual example here if you wish to know more. It is very close to a Christaning but we can do it ourselves and edit it to be what each of us individually believe which I love about it. Anything you want to know just ask I don't mind at all. :)

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or something (some Catholics believe Protestantism is as good as having no religion) most Christians in the UK are Protestants of one variety or another, most being Anglican.

Atheist is the most common way of describing yourself if you have no religion, but it can just mean you don't believe in any deities, which doesn't necessarily mean you're not religious/spiritual.

Sorry, off topic.

Being funny? no. :dohh:

I just don't understand it all. I can't explain what i mean. Let's just leave it as that. :rofl:

I think I understand what Donna is trying to say. When we were in Catholic school we were told that if you aren't Catholic you aren't Christian, which kind of pissed my mother off because she's Salvation Army. Anyway...it is sort of confusing and depending on how/where you're brought up, its hard to make that distinction.

If you're Protestant, you are a branch of Christian that doesn't follow the rule of the Pope. Its really just a denomination divide, not a divide in the actual religion.

If you believe in God and believe that Jesus is the Son of God, then you're Christian despite your denomination. If you don't believe in God at all, then you're athiest. If you believe in something but aren't really sure what is going on up there, then you're best to probably call yourself Spiritual but not religious.

I think I understand what Donna is trying to say. When we were in Catholic school we were told that if you aren't Catholic you aren't Christian, which kind of pissed my mother off because she's Salvation Army. Anyway...it is sort of confusing and depending on how/where you're brought up, its hard to make that distinction.

If you're Protestant, you are a branch of Christian that doesn't follow the rule of the Pope. Its really just a denomination divide, not a divide in the actual religion.

If you believe in God and believe that Jesus is the Son of God, then you're Christian despite your denomination. If you don't believe in God at all, then you're athiest. If you believe in something but aren't really sure what is going on up there, then you're best to probably call yourself Spiritual but not religious.

Or Agnostic. There are a whole range of spiritual paths that people follow that do not count as agnosticism. Also, to be a religion a path doesn't necessarily have to include belief in a deity. It usually does, but not always. Take Buddhism for example.

You can get a whole ritual example here if you wish to know more. It is very close to a Christaning but we can do it ourselves and edit it to be what each of us individually believe which I love about it. Anything you want to know just ask I don't mind at all. :)

Very interesting, thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->