Getting gassy from rice cereal??

channy3232

Reaction score
Pediatrician ok'd us to give Rocco rice cereal. He got it twice yesterday and twice today. I've been giving it to him with his first and last feeding. The past two nights now I've noticed he's just been very unsettled when trying to fall asleep. Squirming and kicking and grunting and every once in a while will let out a little fart. Could it be the cereal? It's weird though that he's only unsettled at night, but I give it to him in the morning too. I know they tell you to start with rice cereal because it's the easiest to digest, but I also noticed it's fortified with iron. Anyone else have issues with LO getting an upset tummy from rice cereal?
Oh yeah. It's not 4am and he's still awake. I can't tell if it's his tummy. I'm so lost. I bet if I would put him in his pack n play and lie down on the couch next to him he'd fall asleep. I don't know what's going on but I'd really like some sleep.

Yeah iron can cause digestive discomfort. I know your pediatrician ok'd it, but does he actually need the cereal yet? Over here we're advised that waiting til 6m is best for most babies.

Really if u r gunna start u need to give a very small amount for a wk or 2 before upping it to 2 meals ...yes its a big change and can make him gassy ..was he showin signs of needing weaning ? ....I am not against early weaning for right reasons ...my baby is 18 wks and being weaned due to loosing a lot of weight (10oz) and now gaining very little and not takin milk so i mix milk in with her solids x

My pediatrician said right now the cereal is not being introduced for nutritional reasons but just to get him to practice the actual act of eating. I'm not substituting a feed with the cereal. She also said if he didn't take to it, to wait a week and try again.
I'm not 100% sure it's the cereal. He's hard to read sometimes. Can't tell if it's his tummy. Only reason I think it might not be is because he doesn't seem bothered by it during the day.
Either way he's finally asleep at almost 440am

I think professional opinion varies about whether they need to 'practice' eating. Lots of experts claim that eating 'skills' just develop at the right time and don't need to taught. Like people used to say that babies 'got used to the spoon' and let it be put into their mouth instead of pushing it away with their tongue. We now know that was just the tongue thrust reflex disappearing, which happens naturally between 4-5 months whether or not a baby is being spoon fed.

But you know best, he's your son, only you can decide.

I'd be inclined to not give him any more baby rice at the moment. His tummy obviously is struggling digesting it since he's still really young. Leave it until he's ready.

I think it was your post I commented on about him pushing the rice out of his mouth? If I'm wrong I'm sorry...I just recognized your siggy so I think it was you. But if so, with that and him having an upset tummy I really think it might be too early for him. Really food in the first year alone is for practice of eating...they don't get much nutrition from babyfood they get the majority of that from formula/breastmilk so from 6mo on he has plenty of practice time :) I think if I were you I'd hold off for awhile longer and see how he does with it later on

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->