Getting Healthy while WTT

ask86

Leia's Mama
Reaction score
So my husband and I have decided that we will definitely start NTNP in December 2015 and actively TTC in January 2016 :thumbup:
Since I had my daughter almost 2 years ago I have gained a lot of weight and my PCOS is acting up badly, so, I decided to use the next 7 months to get as healthy as I can before another pregnancy.
I am seeing a homeopath and I have radically adjusted my diet to minimize carbohydrates (major effect on PCOS) and increase good fats and protein. I also started adding things to family meals like hemp seeds over steamed veggies, and chia seeds oved baked sweet potatoes etc. - my toddler LOVES it! so I think the dietary changes will be permanent!
Anyone else trying to get their body ready for pregnancy? Any ideas?

I've been working on it since I was 7 weeks PP. :haha: We've made some changes to our diet and increased the exercise. We cook most of our food now, instead of going out to eat. I really want to start focusing on my abs soon and strengthen my core - I'd love to have a small baby bump next time!

Hope your diet changes help with the PCOS... December will be here before you know it! :hugs:

I just picked up What to Eat While You're Expecting and have modified that for prepregnancy. I think it is a great idea to be a healthy as possible before catching that egg!

Excellent idea ask86!
I've also been trying to get in really good shape before ttc. I recently got a book from the library about having a healthy, fit pregnancy. So far I love it and I really hope I can maintain a decent level of fitness/ activity during pregnancy as well. I've been working out consistently for about a year and changed up my diet, added supplements and am drinking more water. I feel like I'm in the healthiest I've ever been! :happydance:

Hi :flower:

I am with you! Technically I am NTNP, but my PCOS has rendered me completely infertile in my natural state (I can't ovulate) so I've been working on losing weight and getting healthy in order to start fertility treatments, and I am really more WTT than NTNP at this point. I have to get BMI down to 32 in order to start.

:hugs:

I also have PCOS and I have been working on lowering carbs and upping healthy fats. I also struggle with insulin resistance so I am hoping between the lower carbs and weightloss to not have to deal with major blood sugar problems again in the next pregnancy.

We plan to start ttc sometime between December 2015 and July 2016 at the absolute latest! It really depends on what my labs say as I want to avoid insulin this next time.

Yep I'm on the get healthier kick. I also did the same before ttc ds because I feel if I am going to have a baby, I'm going to give it the best start I can :thumbup:

We are still not 100% but I think regardless it's important to be healthy and well theres no better time to start being healthier than now :thumbup:

This time I am on slimming world. Started in March and already lost 8lbs.:happydance:
I have also fone something very very different to ever before!! I am now exercising!!! :shock: I have a crosstrainer and run on it 3-4 times a week for 30mins a time. I have decided that it might not be so easy to shed the baby weight second time round so am determined to exercise through the pregnancy. Hard work but will be worth it to not be HUGE this entire pregnancy like before plus try n chase a toddler :winkwink:

Depends what you mean by healthy? I don't class low fat yoghurts full of artificial chemicals and sweeteners as healthy but I would class most complex grain based carbs as healthy...it means different things to different people and fat in the right form and content is not the enemy....nor are weights for that matter!

I try and follow a clean diet with whole foods as much as possible and organic when affordable, plenty of fruit and veg, lean meat and as few processed foods as possible. Not always able to stick to it but I make informed choices and try to do a nice mix of HIIT/steady state cardio and weight work :thumbup:

I'm right there with ya too! I've been trying to exercise more consistently for the last 2 months. I hope I can keep it going, so I can have a fit pregnancy! I've been doing a lot of yoga and some weight training a few times a week. I'm going to start getting more serious about my diet too. I'm not looking to lose weight, just to stop eating junk so it will hopefully be second nature to eat healthier once we conceive.

After gorging myself over the xmas holidays, I decided it was time to recommit to healthier living! That kicked into high gear when we set a TTC date. I started first with significantly reducing carbs and cutting out processed foods and added sugars. Then I picked back up with my running. I'm not amazing, but I started out in February huffing and puffing to finish 1.5 k, and now I am running 4K a few times a week. I also started Pilates which was going really well, but my teacher is now moving and has ended the class, so need to find a new one or some kind of replacement. I also upped my daily water intake. I am aiming to be in my best shape ever by the time I conceive.

I am also working on my emotional/psychological health and I see it all as being connected. I am making sure I get enough sleep, prioritise self-care, and have been practicing a little bit of mindfulness a few times a week, and dabbling with self-hypnosis.

Hi :flower:

I am with you! Technically I am NTNP, but my PCOS has rendered me completely infertile in my natural state (I can't ovulate) so I've been working on losing weight and getting healthy in order to start fertility treatments, and I am really more WTT than NTNP at this point. I have to get BMI down to 32 in order to start.

:hugs:

:hugs: Based on your ticker you are doing AMAZING!!!! Hopefully soon you will get to hold a squishy in your arms!

My version of "getting healthy" consists of trying to eat MORE calories. I am a little underweight and don't nearly eat enough, and then weekly methotrexate (for lupus) destroyed my appetite even more. I'm off it now but I don't think my body has realised. I feel the physical hunger, but it comes with a nausea that makes it difficult to eat. I'm trying really hard to get myself eating at least 3 meals a day before we start TTC.

At one stage a while back I tried a weight gain diet, counting calories and eating 2000 cal a day. I could only keep up for two days before I gave up, it was too hard, I felt like I never stopped eating (and I was eating calorie dense foods!).. I worry that when I do get pregnant I'll forget to eat like I do now and my baby will suffer for it :(

I've dug out my trusty zita west book, fertility and conception. There's a 3 month plan in there to get you healthy while wtt so going to follow that. Going to start folic acid too and I've bought a clearblue fertility monitor for when we start ttc

My version of "getting healthy" consists of trying to eat MORE calories. I am a little underweight and don't nearly eat enough, and then weekly methotrexate (for lupus) destroyed my appetite even more. I'm off it now but I don't think my body has realised. I feel the physical hunger, but it comes with a nausea that makes it difficult to eat. I'm trying really hard to get myself eating at least 3 meals a day before we start TTC.

At one stage a while back I tried a weight gain diet, counting calories and eating 2000 cal a day. I could only keep up for two days before I gave up, it was too hard, I felt like I never stopped eating (and I was eating calorie dense foods!).. I worry that when I do get pregnant I'll forget to eat like I do now and my baby will suffer for it :(

I didn't have the same health challenges, but up until a few years ago I was naturally underweight and tried many weight gain diets unsuccessfully, so I understand the frustrations a little. But somehow once I crossed 25, my metabolism has slowed a little more each year, now I need to work to stay at my ideal weight. Why couldn't my body just average itself out with no effort?? lol

What strategies are you trying now? Will being off the medication help at all eventually?

I've dug out my trusty zita west book, fertility and conception. There's a 3 month plan in there to get you healthy while wtt so going to follow that. Going to start folic acid too and I've bought a clearblue fertility monitor for when we start ttc

Oh, and thanks for mentioning that book. I'm gonna check that out!

I didn't have the same health challenges, but up until a few years ago I was naturally underweight and tried many weight gain diets unsuccessfully, so I understand the frustrations a little. But somehow once I crossed 25, my metabolism has slowed a little more each year, now I need to work to stay at my ideal weight. Why couldn't my body just average itself out with no effort?? lol

What strategies are you trying now? Will being off the medication help at all eventually?

I hope so! I'm already starting to see an increase in appetite since being off the chemo :) My only strategies at the moment is eating whatever I can, whenever I can. Also switching out ingredients for more nutrient rich options where possible, for example replacing lettuce with spinach. I don't know any science behind it but it sounds good to me LOL!

Hi Ladies :flower:

Just checking in. Mondays are my weigh-in day and this week I am down 2 whole kg :happydance: I have 13,5 kg to go to get to my goal to start fertility treatments; I am confident that at my rate, I will get to my goal within a few months.

My health plan basically consists of eating a diet full of unprocessed, low-GI foods (because of the PCOS) that is also low-calorie. For the first several months I didn't actually exercise (being as heavy as I was results in a lot of pain in your joints, etc) outside of just my normal day (which does involve some walking and often cycling). A few weeks ago I got back to the gym (got small enough to feel confident in workout and not hurting myself) and now I have the goal of getting a 30-60 minute workout at least 3x per week (mix of cardio and some light strength training).

I think one of my biggest concerns long-term is how to shift out of calorie counting without gaining my weight back. But I will do it this time! :thumbup:

On Sunday, I leave for 3 weeks of travel (some work and a bit of vacation at the end) in the U.S. and then into Spain. So I'm a bit worried about what happens to my diet during this time, but I'll do my best, and I already checked that all the hotels I'll be staying in have fitness centers, so no excuses :blush:

Sounds good, Flossie!! I wonder if there is something you could also add to smoothies and things - having a smoothie with the right kind of supplements mixed in along with your meals might help you integrate extra calories smoothly? No experience with this, just a thought. It's good that you're already seeing your appetite increase.

Congrats on your progress, Mrs. Tigger! These interim victories are great motivators for achieving the larger goals. Yay for your holiday :happydance: and good luck making healthy choices even while you are away.

AFM, haven't been able to run for a week and a half now as some chronic back pain has flared up :-(. Saw the doctor late last week and now need to see the physio. Trying my best to stick with my low-carb meal choices in the interim so that I don't gain too much weight in the meantime.

Sorry to hear about your back sakura, I had a shoulder injury before Xmas and I had to go so gentle with it which was really frustrating!

Flossie, a lot of the guides to gain strength would be beneficial to you as they focus on the right sort of calories and food for sustained weight increases. Natural fatty foods like peanuts and coconuts would help too :thumbup:

Before my holiday I was doing a lot in the gym, two hours of body pump, an hour of boxing followed by an hour of zumba, a group pt HIIT session and two running sessions followed by a scaled down version of stronglifts 5x5. The amount of weight lifting I was doing meant that even when I only went to the gym twice in 5 weeks I didn't gain (2 weeks of that I was on holiday stuffing my face as well). I never lose weight from cardio alone, I get fitter yes but that's it. I've also had months where I've lost maybe 1/2lbs but have dropped inches...all from lifting. If I could give my younger self any diet or fitness advice it would be to lift weights sooner!

Hoping to get back to routine this week, did body pump this morning followed by a jog (I'm building up to 5k) and I'll probably rest tomorrow, pump Wednesday, run Thursday, rest Friday, pt Saturday and pump Sunday. I'm also building back to clean eating, made some healthy cookies yesterday and been good so far today as we are going out for a belated anniversary dinner tonight :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->