Getting kicks / pokes really low down in hip - breech?

Cattia

Reaction score
I'm 31 weeks, so I don't know whether or not the baby should have a fixed position yet? For the past week or so, I've felt a lot of prodding really low down by my right hip. If I put my hand there I can actually feel something sticking out, I'm not sure if it's a foot, knee or elbow. Does this mean baby is likely to be breech, and if so, what are the chances of it turning at 31 weeks? I know I still have a while to go but I thought I read somewhere that if they're breech at 32 weeks they are more likely to stay that way?

They can turn hours before labor begins. I was breeched at my 30 week appointment then at my 32 week appointment she went head down. I think I felt her turn again and will find out at my 34 week appointment.

I wouldn't worry about the baby being breeched until your hours from pushing, lol. I'm no doctor though.

I had the same concerns last week at my midwife appointment as I'd been feeling quite a few movements and kicks low down, my midwife had a feel and said baby is head down and it's his or her hands punching away at me, I think I've Defo got a little boxer on my hands lol xxx

They don't worry which way up baby is until about 34 weeks and even then they're not that worried. My DS was breech at 35 weeks then head down at 37 weeks if I remember correctly. Plenty of time to turn.

Mine is definitely head down and I feel strong pokes down low all the time, I think its elbows or hands.

Great, thank you ladies! I know it isn't the end of the world if she's breech, I'd just rather avoid a C section if possible, also as it't my third I guess they can move position much later. I hadn't considered that it might be her hand! I will ask the midwife in a couple of weeks when I next see her.

My lo turned from breech at 36 weeks.

Those little hands and elbows can definitely pack a punch so I wouldn't be concerned.

My little guy was breech at 31 weeks and never turned. I felt a very hard lump up by my ribs and it would stick out way more than a butt could. He was Frank breech so folded in half like a taco and I felt all kicks right around belly button level on one side only. It doesn't sound like your baby is breech but I'm curious to see now!!!!

My baby was breech at 33... There was a big hard prodding in my ribs, and taps down low. She then turned by 36, and I felt more pelvic pressure and little digs in my ribs (invisible, whereas when she was breech I could see the big round ball jutting out!). Since Wednesday I have had the stronger rib bangs and less pelvic pressure again... So I have no idea! Will be interested to find out Tmr if she flipped back to breech (or are her kicks just that much stronger now?)...

At 31 weeks I wouldn't worry. My dr says that they usually settle by 37 weeks... So whatever my baby is up to now is likely her final choice!

Oh and I'll add it was completely odd to have a section after a natural birth last time but it wasn't bad at all.

I thought my lo was breech bc I felt strong movements low...he was still head down and those were punches :lol:

I feel that always , had ultrasound couple days ago, he is head down right in the center and very low, but he was turned sideways so I felt his elbows and hands in my hip bone.....

I'm voting for punches. I think most breech babies are butt first, not feet first, so if you're feeling really low movement, it's more likely to be fists. My guy flipped every week between 30 and 33, though (my ultrasounds kept contradicting my midwives til I had both on the same day), so your babe should have plenty of time to move if he's breech.

My little man is footling breech and I feel most of his movement up under my ribs and to the sides. The only movements I feel right down low are his feet on the top of my cervix and owch do I know about it. They're not like his hands and arms moving.
Baby still has plenty of time to turn if they are breech anyway :)

They Don't worry about breech babies till 36 weeks. At 37 weeks only 3% of babies were breech and i think 2% at 38 weeks, my son was 1 of those 2% and was born breech at 38+6.

My baby was breech at 33... There was a big hard prodding in my ribs, and taps down low. She then turned by 36, and I felt more pelvic pressure and little digs in my ribs (invisible, whereas when she was breech I could see the big round ball jutting out!). Since Wednesday I have had the stronger rib bangs and less pelvic pressure again... So I have no idea! Will be interested to find out Tmr if she flipped back to breech (or are her kicks just that much stronger now?)...

At 31 weeks I wouldn't worry. My dr says that they usually settle by 37 weeks... So whatever my baby is up to now is likely her final choice!

Just got back from the dr... Baby is indeed head down. I officially never have any dea of what she is up to! ;)

Don't worry about your baby being breech for a while yet, though! :) odds are baby will turn, and if it does end breech, it really isn't the end of the world.

Just got back from the dr... Baby is indeed head down. I officially never have any dea of what she is up to! ;)

Don't worry about your baby being breech for a while yet, though! :) odds are baby will turn, and if it does end breech, it really isn't the end of the world.

That's good news :)
Today I have been feeling movement much higher up, so who know's what's going on in there! I will see what the MW says at my next appointment which is in two weeks.

Lol Surprise she has kept you guessing!!!!! :) I think I subconsciously wanted my babe to stay breech. I had such a traumatic labor and delivery with ds1 I was fine with a section. I still attempted to get him to turn, but I think maybe he knew I needed a section.... ;)

I feel pokes in my hips - doesn't mean it is breech. Mine is cephalic and I still get it. Still loads of time to turn anyway at 31 weeks so definitely not worth worrying about.

Mine has been head down for ages and I still felt bumps and such way down low. She especially likes to stick her head in my hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->