Getting older sibling used to the idea of baby

KatyR

Reaction score
Hi. As the title suggests, anyone have any tips of getting an older sibling ready for a new addition? My five year old is adamant he does not want a little brother or sister. Has told us he will run away if we ever mention it. We obviously haven't told him but if there any way of getting him used to it! I think he just likes all the attention to be honest!

Many hospitals offer a sibling class to take. Talking to other parents/him talking to other kids.

There are a few books you can get and read to them about getting a new sibling.. not sure how much it helps, but worth a try.

I will say, I think the hard part is once the baby has arrived.. My son wasn't fazed about getting a sibling (to be fair, he was only 2 years old at the time), but he really struggled once his little brother arrived. He was very jealous for awhile and is really only getting used to 'sharing' us now (his 4).
And by the same token, my youngest is now starting to show jealously if my eldest gets attention lol.

We just try our best to give them both individual one on one time when we can, and make them both feeled very loved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->