• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Getting Rid of Dummies!

Well its going surprisingly well. Noah slept well last night, woke a couple of times but settles himself again within a couple of mins. Its been nice to not have to agrivate my hip by going in to him. He has been grizzly this afternoon, and I think he is teething another molar, as his temp is sky high and his left cheek is bright red, but even so he is coping well. I just wished we had done this earlier!

Not going so well now :(

Sunday morning Noah woke at 7:30 and se did the whole controlled crying and went into him ever 10 mins, which did nothing cause he had just decided he wanted to get up. after 45mins I gave up and got him up (so much for a lie in)

This morning however I decided to stick to my guns, Idont want him getting into the habbit of getting up early in the mornings, and getting is own way.

. . . however he woke up at 6:30 and refused to go back to sleep. How I wished I could have stuffed his dummy in. We tried going into him every 10 mins but if anything it made him worse, so we ended up just letting him cry cause we couldnt think of what else to do. He cried for 2 hours till I got him up at usual time of 8:30. There was nothing wrong with him and he has been in a fine mood since getting up. I on the other hand feel like Ihave lost the will to live.

I dont know what to do about it? Icant get him up in the mornings at bloody 6:30! but Idont know what to do to get him to go back to sleep or to sut up at least. Before he often used to wake up earlier than getting up time, but with a dummy in he would play with his cot toys and entertain himself, which he wont do anymore, he just sitts upright and screams without it.

Any ideas?

how is he doing now Cat?

I am now trying with Coby, i only give him his dummy for sleep so im hoping he will know when he see's it that its bedtime and i can get him to go to sleep on his own...

So far during the day he is grizzly, but im not giving in! he slept this morning in the pram while we were out without it.

xx

Its going brilliantly, I havent caved at any point, and he has forgotten he ever had them. Although we didnt use them much during the day he knew we kept them on top of the fireplace, so if he got in a mood he would point to the fireplace and scream for them. He sleeps right through the night now and has done for the last couple of weeks, which has been bliss, and although he tends to wake up at 7:30ish and not go back to sleep, he will play with his cot toys for about an hour quite happily.

Its lovely putting him down for a nap or ot night now without the dummy as he just grins at you and plays pee-ka-boo with his blanket and waves goodnight! Ihave also noticed that during the day he is burbling more instead of making grunting noises, so I think its helping his speech development.

Personally I think its easier to do away with them entirly as using them still at night might confuse him. Like I said by doing away with them completly Noah has forgotten they exist, which I think has made things easier. Perhaos if you want Coby to have something to associate with going to bed, try a hot drink in the evenings or something. Noah always has an ovaltine right before bed, and as soon as he finishes it he wanders to the door, puts his arms up to be carried, OH picks him up and he waves goodnight to me, he knows thats the cue for bed.

im glad its going well :)

Im not that brave to take them off him over night lol, he doesnt wake up if it drops out so at the moment im ok with it, I just wnated to get him off them in teh day for his speach. So far so good, he is a bit grizzly but nothing major, hopeing as the days goes on he will forget about them.

xx

I think I am gonna pretend there is a dummy fairy, just like the tooth fairy. I will tell Amelia that all big girls put their dummies under their pillow for the dummy fairy... that will make her into a big girl like mummy and the fairy will leave her a present ;)

hopefully she will be rid of it before then mind but I cant see it!! its always in her mouth. People must think I've glued it there!!

Cant offer any advic eon the dummies as ewan has never had one, and has never sucked his thumb. He has tigger cuddle blanket to go to sleep with and i have a spare so i have another for when i wash one!

Jade was the same, she was not interested in dummies or her thumb but had a comfort blanket which she still has, we have about 5 of the same in total :)

I think Alfie will follow, I know he is young, but he loves to suck as a comfort thing, but will only suck on my little finger, he is not interested in a dummy at all, which is exactly how Jade started off too.....:baby:

Last night I thought Id put Ella down without her dummy and see what happens, I sung twinkle little start and quietly walked out the room........and not a peep she went straight to sleep! I was very surprised so I'll try againg tonight and see what happens. She hadnt been having her dummy throughout the day only for naps and nighttime, but Im hoping we can phase it out alltogether now!

Maddie is a thumb sucker ....

Thinks im gonna start strapping her hands up so she can't, gonna have to do something as her thumb is red raw!

xxx

Noah has a cold at the mo and has just been having another molar cut through, so was soo grizly the other morning that I caved and gave him a dummy, but he just spat it out each time I put it in and played with it like he had never seen one before and then threw it across the room, so I wont bother with that again!

I was meant to add to my post....

That I too have heard of the Dummy fairy on Super Nanny (is that right, my mind has gone lol) and it worked wonders, it really worked well.......so IF Alfie does end up with a dummy, that will be my sure route to use to get rid of it! :)

Good luck to you all! x

I tried putting Ella down again without her dummy that was 2 days ago and again she went to sleep fine! so that was 2 days straight with no dummy! And she didnt have it all day yesterday, untill bedtime, she screamed blue murder! She is teething again, so I gave in and gave her her dummy! I felt really bad though like Id failed I was determined not go give it to her! so today is a new day and I will try again! Only thing is Im working tonight so Dave will be putting her to bed! he gives in more easily than me! see how it goes. Is Noah doing ok with his teething without a dummy ?

Yeah Noah has normally been pretty good with teeth coming through though, luckily its only one molar on its own this time, last time the other 3 all came through together! can you try giving her something else to elo with the teething like a teething ring, then she can chew to get some relief without the contant dummy sucking?

Sounds like she is doing really well when you have gone without though and not really suffering 'dummy withdrawl' at all :)

Yeh she has done well, I was really shocked the 2 nights she went to sleep without it! She's never really taken to teething rings, she usually chews her finger or her dummy, but a teething ring she just holds and plays with lol. Im going to dose her up before I go to work tonight with Medised and calgel and hope this does the trick. seems to be going well so far though, just teething has came at a bad time, could have waited untill she was used to not having her dummy! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"