getting second hand baby stuff

Although this is pulling the thread a bit off-topic, I am going to follow the path of one of my best friends who just had a baby and request that any baby gifts not be plastic. Almost all plastic toys contain PVC and I'm trying not to have that in the house. I feel that it will be up for some serious scrutiny soon regarding its safety and babies, just like BPA has recently been.
Another way we are trying to save cash is by buying a crib that converts to a toddler bed. We hope to get about 4 years use out of it, so that helps justify the cost of the more expensive eco-mattress.
Otherwise, I'm all about secondhand everything! Babies outgrow stuff so fast. I don't mind a few new outfits, as they are fun and you want a few special things, but I'm going hand-me-down clothes all the way. I think a proper wash (with a few drops of bleach, if you are really worried) would take care of germ concerns, Rae, but we all have our own feelings about stuff, so respect for your decision even if it's not my own.
I am a self-described cheapo on this topic, but I don't really get spending $40+ per outfit on an entire brand-new wardrobe for baby when they might get a few weeks out of it. It's the Baby Gap-like prices that blow my mind. A few special items, I understand, but the entire wardrobe? It just seems like such a waste of money. I have a definite budget for baby and that budget includes putting money away for school, etc, so I guess my priorities are just different.
To each their own, I guess.

Sarahkka,

Babies R Us have cribs that are cribs which convert to toddler beds, which convert to day beds, which convert to double beds. They're pricey but really, think of the cost of buying all those beds? Most of them are sleigh cribs too.

Most of mines come from bootsales and ebay, I've done it once before. I know how expensive it is and I've not got an endless supply of money. And you wouldn't think any of my stuff is second hand. Only thing pretty much I bought new is my buggy and some clothes. Just be choosy with what you get and start now because you don't want to go for what you can get unless you like it and it's excellent condition.

My OH's sister tried to get us to take her old crib, but knowing his sister, they likely tried to find a deal originally and it probably isnt the kind of furniture id want anyways...

The crib I bought it second hand too, but it is real cherrywood and was custom made by a big company here so the quality is outstanding.

Of course i've been given tons of clothing, anything that looks too grubby or whatever I will just throw out I think... charity's are good, but I refuse to send them stuff that is too old, grubby or ripped either... I only send clothes that are still decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->