• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Getting the gender wrong?

Babybug

Reaction score
I have just read in a FB site im on ( not a baby one) that a lady has had a girl when she was told boy.

Rare or so I thought but apparantly according to her comnents it happens quite often.

I always thought they only told you if they were certain!

Any experience of this? Yourselves or friends?

Its making me wonder wheter to just stay team yellow.

Everyone I know recently has been correct.

However, I was a boy til the day I was born! I have a name that my dad saw on a wedding invitation for an old Army buddy (he'd never met the woman, they just didn't have any names picked out) and most of my baby pictures are of me in the most gender neutral outfits that could be drummed up from an all-boy wardrobe. My mom would velcro bows to my head so that people knew I was a girl.

So it definitely happens, but IDK if the technology has gotten better since then (1985)

They can not be 100% accurate! unless you have blood tests, but US will never be 100%

I was told looks girl, but difficult to know for certain.

I was told that my daughter was a boy! Luckily a follow up scan showed she was 100% girl x

They can't be 100% certain with ultrasounds. I was told they average at about 85% certain but at my anomoly scan the sonographer said she is 98/99% certain we're having a girl. I guess it depends on baby's position at the scan.

Oh goodness... making me fearful again.

The moment I conceived, I knew I was having a girl. Everyone did. It was weird. On the 12-week NTT scan, the doctor said she could just tell it was a girl. Then at every scan thereafter, we were told girl, girl, girl. ...But we never saw her girly parts until 32 weeks, and it was just for a second before she moved again.

...So it is possible - unlikely, but possible - that I'm having a boy. That'll be a fun story. :)

With Callum we were told they could only say 70% even though it was obvious (full on potty shot!). With this one she said she couldn't say for certain as she'd seen the three lines but the cord was between her legs (had a 4D scan today though and its definitely a little girlie :))

Unfortunately they do get it wrong but I think its quite rare, just make sure to keep receipts! xx

Our scan was correct for DS, but a girl I worked with got told she was having a girl and she had a boy.

If they can see eyelashes they know if it's a boy or girl past 14 weeks! If they have older equipment or can't get a good shot they may not be certain. We were told 100% boys at 16 weeks (14 weeks was probably boys but didn't get a great shot so couldn't say 100%). If it's just a regular OB US they usually aren't as clear or as highly trained as a MFM.

A lady my OH works with was told she was having a boy and then when she had the baby a few weeks ago it was a girl so it does happen!

If they can see eyelashes they know if it's a boy or girl past 14 weeks! If they have older equipment or can't get a good shot they may not be certain. We were told 100% boys at 16 weeks (14 weeks was probably boys but didn't get a great shot so couldn't say 100%). If it's just a regular OB US they usually aren't as clear or as highly trained as a MFM.

Eyelashes? Really am off to google that :)
So odd my 4 year old yesterday was telling me the difference between a boy and a girl ( we have the odest conversations) and she was adamant boys dont have eyelashes, we had to wait for her dad to get home so I could show her they did. Perhaps she knows more than I thought lol

Not always the case as i experienced.. I was scanned at the so called best private company in the UK, by a fully trained sonographer at 16 weeks and it was wrong. Just one of those things i think! Being human there is always going to be room for error and we were told its 99.something% accurate.

:flower:

My sister was told she was having a boy but gave birth to a girl! It was about 9 years ago though so not sure how much US's have improved since then. My 20 week scan so obviously showed a boy but I won't 100% believe it until he's born. Doesn't help it's the same hospital who scanned us :p

Talked about it last night and have decided to stay yellow. Big stuff from last time is all neutral. We have girls and neutral clothes will buy some boy grows and keep them in the packet then sell on or give as baby gifts if not needed.

It is rare, it's just that people who got told correctly don't comment ! ;) I was told boy and had a boy, my 2SILs both told boy and had boys. I honestly don't know anyone who was told wrong. They will rarely say it's 100% a boy or girl , they usually say, that looks like a boy/girl to me or something like that. They can only go off what they can see! The lady who did mine said they are usually 95-99% when they say boy as it's more 'obvious ' but only 80-90%sure when they say girl as baby could be hiding the vital parts! ;) xx

My hospital won't tell you, the only way to get a gender scan is privately. I'm not sure if its due to litigation but they make it clear in your letter you won't be told. Even still I'm choosing to stay team yellow.

I have 5 scans all going back and forth. Girl girl boy girl boy. So now we are team yellow. I had both 2d and 3d. It happens.
I read some hospital won't tell because its a 5% chance they can be wrong. So if they deliver 4,000 a year, 200 of them came out the opposite of what they told the patient. You think about it, thats a lot. Here were I live at now (Germany but I am from the states) the ladies say they had wrong gender prediction.
A baby is a baby regardless. It does mess with your emotions thinking someone stole something from you. They told me girl for two months and when they said I think its a boy, I was so upset and felt like someone robbed my baby.
I convinced DH for us not to look anymore and make it surprise. He finally agreed when I told him they are thinking boy again. It missed him up too emotionally. So I have another baby I do not want them to check and see if they can tell gender.
My doctor got offended when I told him to stop looking but I said regardless what you tell me there is always room for error until the baby is born.
My mom was told she was having a boy and I have all sisters. She was so depressed after she was born (which is normal) but after a while she got use to the idea of having 3 girls, now she has 6 total.

My SIL was told at two scans (post 20 weeks, one with a regular sonographer and one with a consultant) she was having a girl and has since been told it's a boy. This has been verified by two sonographers and a consultant so she's fairly sure now. We'll find out for absolutely definite when 'he' arrives next month :)

They have got my 2 kids right and both my SILs kids but a mum from my DS school she was told she was having a boy and went out and brought everything (literally everything) blue and then she had a girl, she is pregnant again now and has decided to stay team yellow this time. And a girl I went school with was told she was having a boy but had a little girl.

Even though we found out the sex of DS and DD I still didn't buy anything pink or blue just incase xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->