Give me your (quick and easy) playdough recipes!

MiniKiwi

Reaction score
I'm just after a tried and tested playdough recipe!

Going to make some this afternoon with my little girl :)

Cup of plain flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
Few drops of food colouring of your choice

Needs to be kept in an air tight container or it will go rock hard, alternatively you can make ornaments and then dry them out in a warm oven for 2-3 hours

We made Christmas decorations with it last year :)

Yay thank you, I can't wait. Hopefully she doesn't just eat it all :p

There are some really good ones on pinterest too. You can find recipes that will have scents of the season, like pumpkin scented play doh, or apple cinnamon scented, etc.

I used the one from theimaginationtree.com

There was also a recipe for finger paints which we are doing on the next rainy day.

She'll take one bite and realise how horrible it tastes!

Exactly this. While safe to eat, it's absolutely disgusting with all that salt!!

Also an alternative to food coloring could be pureed strawberries or blueberries, etc.

You ladies clearly haven't met my baby. She wouldn't stop trying to eat it! Maybe she's a bit young (17 months) but she kept nibbling and licking every time she thought I wasn't looking.

But it was a cool activity and we'll definitely do it again! I love theimaginationtree.com, so thanks for that link :) Love the idea of herb-scented and textured playdoughs

She'll take one bite and realise how horrible it tastes!

Exactly this. While safe to eat, it's absolutely disgusting with all that salt!!

Also an alternative to food coloring could be pureed strawberries or blueberries, etc.

You ladies clearly haven't met my baby. She wouldn't stop trying to eat it! Maybe she's a bit young (17 months) but she kept nibbling and licking every time she thought I wasn't looking.

But it was a cool activity and we'll definitely do it again! I love theimaginationtree.com, so thanks for that link :) Love the idea of herb-scented and textured playdoughs

Ooh good taste buds with all that salt!

My LO is 17 months as well and goes through phases with play doh, I think I have more fun than him at times!

I use this one:

2 cups plain flour (240g)
4 tablespoons cream of tartar (52g)
2 tablespoons cooking oil (30ml/30g)
1 cup salt (320g)
2 cups boiling water and paint/food colouring* (500ml)
Few drops of flavouring/scent or some kitchen spices

*I prefer to use paint to colour the dough – it seems to give a more vibrant colour using less so works out cheaper. I use standard Early Learning Centre children’s ready mixed poster paint – 2 tablespoons should give a lovely vibrant colour. Bear in mind that it may stain clothes if you don’t use washable paint. If you want the dough to be more edible, use food colouring (but bear in mind that there’s a cup of salt in it so you really don’t want anybody eating it!).

Combine the dry ingredients (flour, cream of tartar, salt plus any spices for fragrance) in a mixing bowl then add the oil (cooking oil plus any fragrance oils).

Put your colouring into a measuring cup/jug, I find 2 around 2 tablespoons of paint gives a good colour, then top up the cup with boiling water and pour into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add another cup of boiling water to the bowl.

Mix thoroughly. If it doesn’t look like it’s working, keep mixing. As soon as you have a dough that’s coming together you can turn it out and knead it as this is quicker than mixing with a spoon, but watch your hands as it will be hot. Knead until you have a nice even and slightly stretchy dough.

Leave it to cool to a safe temperature then give it to the kids.

I didn't bother with the cream of tartar in the past but I've tried pretty much every variation and this recipe seems to be the best.

My LO loves gloop. It's very messy though.

You'll need 2 cups of corn flour, 1 cup of cold water, a few drops of food colouring.

I tend add the water slowly until I have the right consistency. (A really thick batter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->