Giving a toddler an Ipad to play with is lazy parenting?

pompeyvix

Reaction score
I just come across the following article on the Daily Mail website;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2256201/Use-iPad-pacify-toddler-Dont-dummy.html

Although my LO uses a dummy to help with sleeping (even though initially I was very reluctant to use one), I will not allow her to use it just to suck on, especially as the age of 3 where I can see no purpose for it.

Equally as bad, is seeing a 3 year old using an Ipad.....it really doesnt sit comfortably with me. What about one on one interaction and bonding time? It just seems like some people use them as a glorified babysitter or to keep kids quiet.

I know how addictive Iphones are (I have one) so I really don't want Anabella to get a taste at such a young age.

Thoughts??

Recalling my recent flogging on the TV thread, I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one. For now :haha:

If its beint used instead of interaction thats a problem. Bt i dont think its bad to give them one for distraction. For example if you need yo get some work done, or brother and sil give my 4)3yr old niece their ipad for in the car to watch peppa pig etc x

Hm. I don't know. Ryland has 30 minutes a day to watch Pocoyo while I start dinner. He's happy, I'm happy. I don't see anything wrong with monitored time and what activity they're doing.

You can get educational games suitable for toddlers as apps now. No way should it be instead of any interaction time or to give you peace and quiet (I have a nephew who is two and demands the iPad to watch peppa pig), but the odd 5 mins I don't see as an issue.x

I may change my mind about peace and quiet once lo hits terrible twos :haha:

If you read the article tho, it goes on to say that at Xmas all her kids were playing on the Ipads and the house was completely quiet all day whilst they were all engrossed (the children were a bit older I do admit).

A little bit in moderation is OK in my book, but when she is older it would have to be a treat as opposed used as a babysitter.

It all depends on how long the child is using it. If its for hours on end then it is lazy parenting. If its for 20 mins while mum is making dinner then i dont see a problem.

I play games on my iphone with LO, we have some flash card games, memory games & a Thomas game.. i dont see the problem as its only 5 mins here & there. i say max 45 mins a week..

x

It's a lifesaver in this house, 2 under 2 means I need my eldest to be distracted sometimes. At least I know she is safe on the sofa and not causing havoc while I see to her brother!

I don't see the problem as long as its not taking the place of one on one interaction. We got our 3 year old an Innotab for christmas and he loves it! He loves to sit with us and listen to the stories but is equally as happy for one of us to read him his proper books. He also loves the games on it. He also got his own Playstation 2 (from granny) for christmas which he is allowed on for 1-2 hours every 2 days.

If someone was to sit there child with this kind of thing.. and then ignored them and expected the gadget to do the parenting then thats where there is a problem

Having just spent the afternoon sitting in pizza hut with my nephew and his mum and seeing my nephew glued to his new tablet ( different from Ipad but with touch screen games/ internet etc) Id have to say I am totally against kids using all this stuff too much. Its getting ridiculous it really is. He spent the first 10 mins ignoring us, ignoring the waiter when he asked him what he wanted to drink and then he went into an almighty strop when his mother took it off him ( more fool her for buying it for him for xmas in the first place!)

If we are not careful, we are breeding a generation of anti-social kids who think nothing of actually ignoring people when being spoken to just because they are playing 'angry birds' on the IPod. A 3 year old on an ipad having a little play every now and again.... cant see too much harm in that really. A 6 year old addicted to a phone/ Wii/ Ipad/nintendo DS = bad news in my books.

My daughter plays In The Night Garden game on my iPhone and she plays educational puzzles and colouring on the iPad. Not all day but maybe half an hour a day while I get some cleaning/cooking done. She enjoys it and it does no harm. I think people should concentrate on what they do with their own kids instead of judging other people. The use of an ipad etc may not 'sit comfortably with you' but some things you allow your child to do may not sit comfortably with others so live and let live I say.

Having a differing opinion does not make one judgemental :shrug:

Opinion: "I would not let an iPad babysit my kid"
Judgement: "I would not let an iPad babysit my kid, and you're a horrible parent for doing so".

Having just spent the afternoon sitting in pizza hut with my nephew and his mum and seeing my nephew glued to his new tablet ( different from Ipad but with touch screen games/ internet etc) Id have to say I am totally against kids using all this stuff too much. Its getting ridiculous it really is. He spent the first 10 mins ignoring us, ignoring the waiter when he asked him what he wanted to drink and then he went into an almighty strop when his mother took it off him ( more fool her for buying it for him for xmas in the first place!)

If we are not careful, we are breeding a generation of anti-social kids who think nothing of actually ignoring people when being spoken to just because they are playing 'angry birds' on the IPod. A 3 year old on an ipad having a little play every now and again.... cant see too much harm in that really. A 6 year old addicted to a phone/ Wii/ Ipad/nintendo DS = bad news in my books.

THIS, exactly!

I have no problem in moderation, but the issue is when they get older and start throwing strops when they cant use it.

One of my friends step daughter threw a major strop when the batteries on her DS ran out on the car journey home once and was upset when I wouldnt recharge it via my lighter power point (it was in use for the sat nav).

What's wrong with old fashioned 'games' like counting the cows and counting how many nobbies and stobbies we pass on the motorway.

I hate to say it but if you don't start introducing your children to technology at a young age they're gonna end up behind in today's world. Obviously nothing should be used as a babysitter but as an educational toy, it's good. I mean don't you let your LO pay with other toys?

My kid is one. She doesn't need an iPad. Or TV. She'll get some electronic time when she's older.

I knew I couldn't stay out of this for long..... :blush:

My daughter plays In The Night Garden game on my iPhone and she plays educational puzzles and colouring on the iPad. Not all day but maybe half an hour a day while I get some cleaning/cooking done. She enjoys it and it does no harm. I think people should concentrate on what they do with their own kids instead of judging other people. The use of an ipad etc may not 'sit comfortably with you' but some things you allow your child to do may not sit comfortably with others so live and let live I say.

To be fair, in moderation is OK. I just worry that they will then become dependent on it for fun as they grow older and then throw strops and tantrums when they can't play on it, or be so engrossed on it they will not enter in conversation with you.

If they have limited or no use in the first place, then the dependency isn't created, I dont think.

For me there is no difference to my kids sitting at the table doing a puzzle while i cook dinner and to them sitting at the table playing on my iPhone (age appropriated apps) while i cook dinner.

everything in moderation i believe. Technology is a part of our life now and our kids will come into contact sooner or later with tablets. And i believe its up to us as adults to limit the time we want our kids to play with them.

I think if you teach your children that tantrums aren't accepted then that would solve the problem. I mean if you accept those actions an iPad would have nothing to do with it, they would do it over not getting ny toy or going to bed when they don't want to or when they want chocolate.

IPad in small doses can be wonderful. E.G When Fin is sick and has a fever, he is REALLY sick. He suffers awfully with fevers and ends up at A&E with febrile convulsions and the lot. When he gets a fever and that ill he wants to just cling to me and be on me like a limpet... Which of course I do not mind, but I run warmer than normal myself and him being on me keeps his fever from subsiding. The IPad is an almost sure way of getting him to sit next to me rather than on me and happy for a while.

When we go places where he is likely to become bored, we pack his special pull along bag with toys, crayons and books etc. But if he goes past that, the IPad is a godsend.

Sometimes, when Amelia is having a fractious day and Fin is acting up as a result, it can help the day pass easier for all.

Sure if you just let your child use an IPad all day and it replaced other kinds of play and activities it would be negligent and lazy... But it doesn't need be one or the other. Fin has a very full social calendar. We go out every day and do more arts and crafts and activities in a week than most would in a month or more. He loves to bake with me, paint, go on puddle hunts or nature walks etc etc. He has a playroom, wonderful educational toys. We spend so much time learning and experiencing than he is very advanced. A IPad works alongside that. Doesn't reduce that or affect it.

The apps you can get basically turn it into a toy for that short while. A electronic toy... Just like a vtech learning laptop or Scout the Puppy etc. You can get drawing apps, puzzles, learning to count etc.

It is a brilliant educational tool, in moderation.

Toys and activities evolve with the times. Sure I prefer him to play with his wooden toys that encourage imagination. Proper old toys like his Daddy's Brio trains from his childhood or my old spinning top. But in this day and age, an IPad is just a new developed "toy" (under supervision).

One final thing I will say is just a warning to most not to say too strongly things you WILL NOT do until you have actually been there. I see too many statements like "My child will nap have chocolate until they are at least 2/will never use an IPAD/will NEVER tantrum in a supermarket" etc etc. Yeah, of course stand firm the what you do str fly believe in but seriously good luck and be sure to read back on those statements when you have a screaming banshee toddler dribbling chocolate over your IPad haha. There is a reason that most threads about "bad" things get a sympathetic and non judgemental reply in The toddler section rather than the crazy judgey replies and strong statements of actions you will take with something you have never experienced in baby club. When you have just one baby, you might feel like you have all the answers. A week with your darling baby having turned to a toddler and you soon realise you don't and just get by day to day while being the best version of Mummy you can be to the whirlwind of split personalities that is screaming at you because they can ony eat green food today... Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->