Giving blood while TTC?

mrsswaffer

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a slight dilemma. I'm due to give blood on Monday for the first time since having my son, however I'm also due to ovulate around then! Should I go ahead and donate, or hold off now that we're TTC#2? I'd like to cancel, but I've asked a friend to watch my 9 month old while I donate, and the TTC thing is a secret, so I don't have a good excuse as to why I don't need her anymore.

Any thoughts? :flower:

I can't see why you wouldn't still give blood while TTC? Maybe I'm missing something? :shrug:

Well, I know you can't give blood while pregnant, because you need all of your blood to make the baby, so I was thinking that the diminished volume of blood might hinder implantation. :)

Ahh, ok! I see where you were coming from now :) . Well, I found this (I see you're in the UK) and it doesn't say anything about TTC being an issue. There's nothing that says you shouldn't give blood while TTC on the ARC site either. Since implantation happens what, about 6-12 days generally speaking, after fertilization I would think you would be good to go by then regardless. I can't find any info anywhere on blood donation affecting implantation but maybe someone else with some personal experience will chime in. GL with whatever you decide!

Thanks hun. I'll go, tell them about it and see what they say. :)

I don't see it being an issue at all. They don't take enough to cause you any problems

Update:

I went to the session and told the nurse assessing me about TTC, and she immediately said I couldn't donate. However, she asked a colleague who asked me where I was in my cycle. I told her, "Right in the middle." She said that it was okay to donate, as long as I hadn't ovulated yet. Then she asked me if I was willing to take the risk TTC with a lower iron count. I said I was, and proceeded to donate.

So, if you're going to give blood while TTC, you're okay up until ovulation. :)

Update:

I went to the session and told the nurse assessing me about TTC, and she immediately said I couldn't donate. However, she asked a colleague who asked me where I was in my cycle. I told her, "Right in the middle." She said that it was okay to donate, as long as I hadn't ovulated yet. Then she asked me if I was willing to take the risk TTC with a lower iron count. I said I was, and proceeded to donate.

So, if you're going to give blood while TTC, you're okay up until ovulation. :)
They should put that on the websites. I wonder why they don't? Maybe it's something they don't all agree on or they don't think many people will ask about it? :shrug: Glad you were able to get your donation in :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->