Giving kids toy guns / dollies and prams.

No, I don't find violent films scary, just boring.

Is that desensitised to the extreme???

Haha! It can't be as I've nothing to have been desensitised by. I just prefer more brain to my entertainment. I couldn't watch very psychological horrors as they would scare me.

But violent films can be intelligent. They can also be very socially relevant. Or artistic. To write off all violent films is a little brash. you'd miss out on so many good films. Pulp fiction plays with traditional three act structure very well as do irreversible and memento. Clever. Not excessively so, but clever. Also hotel Rwanda deals with atrocities that occurred and makes a wider audience aware of them. I think saying you don't like viewing violence because you dislike seeing it is understandable but to say you prefer brain suggests films are either intelligent or violent without crossover which isn't true imo.

theres a french film called Martyrs that illustrated this point beautifully. On the surface, it's about torture. But its about how prolonged humiliation, physical pain, psycological manipulation can eventually create a martyr, i.e. someone who attains a higher level and sees what is beyond this world (in the film). it's FANTASTIC!!!

Have you seen irreversible? I almost can't recommend it because it's so grim and I hated watching it and burst into tears at the horrendous and infamous rape scene. :cry: But it's SUCH a clever movie.

Two other movies which I think are HORRIBLE and HIDEOUS but clever and good films are requiem for a dream and Oldboy.

Having said that, I would still question the director of irreversible as it's SOOOOOO graphic. :sick:

Will definitely check Martyrs out. Although you need to really mentally prep before films like that! It's not like throwing on a comedy. :haha:

ill definitely check out irreversible!!!

I find excessive violence undoes any intelligence in a film generally. Just doesn't float my boat. Quite surprised to have had such a lot of response to my post, not really sure why anyone's interested in my taste in films. :shrug:

Redpoppy - requiem and oldboy are my two favourite films :cloud9: well... two OF my favourites!

Redpoppy - I have Requiem for a Dream in my dvd collection, never watched it though!
Is it really good then?!xx

Redpoppy - I have Requiem for a Dream in my dvd collection, never watched it though!

Lets just say its the film i'm saving to scar my kids with to keep them away from nasty drugs! :haha:

Its HORRIBLE but its good. But don't expect it to be a pleasant night in. You'll probably want to call someone to talk about it afterwards. :flower:

Lets just say its the film i'm saving to scar my kids with to keep them away from nasty drugs! :haha:

Its HORRIBLE but its good. But don't expect it to be a pleasant night in. You'll probably want to call someone to talk about it afterwards. :flower:

Ooooh do you know what I THINK I might've kind of watched it.. Has Jared Leto in it?
Im sure OH has put it on whilst i've been on here.
Prostitution, drugs and the effect of it etc!?x

its FANTASTIC!!! up there in my top 5 'drug films', along with blow, trainspotting, layer cake and scarface. it is sad though, especially the storyline about his mum. :cry:

Yeah I have watched it! It is quite scary really.
I felt sorry for his Mummy too :(
Poor lady. Just shows you though how drugs can affect your life so easily.

i know, all she wanted was to lose a bit of weight. i hope poppy puts me in a nursing home before i end up having nobody except the tv for company.

Now for me there is a big difference between the violence shown in Hotel Rwanda and the violence in Pulp Fiction. One is based on real life events and shows the true horrors of violence while the other uses violence in an entertaining manner. I enjoy the former but don't really like the latter. JMO

You don't need to give kids guns, or dolls. They will find away around it :lol:

When I was young, my parents wouldn't let my brothers have guns. I was a tomboy, and would go out with them and find sticks, and use them instead to play soldiers. Totally harmless, and my brothers are well adjusted, as am I. (I happen to be a soldier now too :lol:)

I've seen girls use teddies and stuffed animals as baby dolls. Kids will be kids.

Bleurgh I hated Requiem for a Dream. I think it's probably the film I have most hated ever. DH always refers to it as the one I really hated. I can't even remember anything about it anymore so I guess I blocked it all out!

I agree there is a big difference between 'real life' violence in a film based on biography or real events and that in total fiction. It's the latter that bores me. The former would no doubt make me sad, I don't find any of these sorts of films that I've seen scary though.

i dont think they have any affect. Just because a child plays with a doll and pram doesnt mean they are going to have children at a young age. I used to play with dolls as i child and i didnt get pg till i was 22. Same goes for toy guns. Kids that play with toy guns are not normally going to grow up at shot somebody! They are just toys.

i dont think they have any affect. Just because a child plays with a doll and pram doesnt mean they are going to have children at a young age. I used to play with dolls as i child and i didnt get pg till i was 22. Same goes for toy guns. Kids that play with toy guns are not normally going to grow up at shot somebody! They are just toys.

I agree a toy gun is not going to make a child think 'ok i want to go and shoot someone' but imo in a world riddled with war and the heartache, death and destruction it causes, why on earth we we want our children to play with one of the most widely used weapons of war as a toy, as a game? Just doesnt make sense to me.....Then they are bombarded with violence as entertainment in movies and games. :shrug:

A killing machine should not be made into a toy for children, i just think its wrong. Why would you even want a child to think of a gun as a toy, using it to pretend to kill?

yesterday my son was running around with a plastic tube. Hubby asked him what he was doing and he said "war". I think if you "forbid" your child to play naturally...it only becomes more interesting to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->