Giving kids toy guns / dollies and prams.

I don't think play has to be nice or necessary. I doubt I'd ever buy my son (if I have one) or daughter a toy gun but if they wanted one or if they were given one or if they were playing "cowboys and indians" I don't think I'd get into a long discussion with a 7 year old about the realities of imperialism and the oppression of native people.

If my kids were playing at shooting aliens I might actually join in. :haha::blush: Doing death scenes is awesome fun. :winkwink:

I'd want my children at some stage to enjoy films such as pulp fiction, the good the bad and the ugly, scarface, goodfellas etc. as they are very good and well made and excellent films. They are not nice or necessary.

I started watching and reading films and books which may have been more suitable for general audiences of 18 or so when I was 15. I was an individual.

I don't think play has to be nice or necessary. I doubt I'd ever buy my son (if I have one) or daughter a toy gun but if they wanted one or if they were given one or if they were playing "cowboys and indians" I don't think I'd get into a long discussion with a 7 year old about the realities of imperialism and the oppression of native people.

If my kids were playing at shooting aliens I might actually join in. :haha::blush: Doing death scenes is awesome fun. :winkwink:

I'd want my children at some stage to enjoy films such as pulp fiction, the good the bad and the ugly, scarface, goodfellas etc. as they are very good and well made and excellent films. They are not nice or necessary.

I started watching and reading films and books which may have been more suitable for general audiences of 18 or so when I was 15. I was an individual.

I agree with this. Especially being 'shot' by kids. I am rather good at over the top, flamboyant death scenes :haha:

I wasnt saying that these toys can cause violence just noticed all boys ones where aggressive. Just a passing comment. I am sure not all kids who had toy guns turned out to be robbers and shot people I just choose not to have them in my home theres plenty of other toys for my son to play with . My son cleans the house with a cleaning set , brush , mop henry vac! what he wants to do as he sees mum and dad doing it. And if I have a girl this time she can play with cars or whatever theres no gender assignment here but no guns.

this is exactly how i feel!:thumbup:

:o When they are 18? :) I agree they are good films

:o When they are 18? :) I agree they are good films

Probably before 18 but it depends on the kid and the film. I saw The Shining aged 12 and although it scared me beyond all reason and I couldn't sleep through the night after watching it as I had a recurring dream about it, I don't think I'm scarred by it and I did beg my mum incessantly for about three days before it was on to let me watch it. :dohh: I'm glad I saw it then. I'm glad it scared the bejesus out of me. It's still my favourite horror film to this day. I'd seen two or three horror films before then but I'd sneaked them in behind my mums back at friends houses.

My brother (a psychiatrist) lets his kids watch pretty much any film they want to. He's got two (stable and intelligent boys) who love watching scary and violent films and a girl (also stable and intelligent) who hates anything scary and violent but loves her romances. It's almost like she's rebelling against her dad and her brothers sometimes and purposefully dislikes films they like. :haha: She's crazy about the twilight films.

But my brother has been talking and reasoning and explaining things to his kids before I think they even understood what he was going on about. :haha: The eldest two only have a year and a half between them and it used to be so cute when they were around 4 and 5 and they'd get taken to the stairs and my brother in calm dulcid tones would explain what they'd done and why it was wrong and they were too cute just watching him. :cloud9: Chubby faces and big eyes. :cloud9:

I think I will be the best judge of what is appropriate for my kids. im talking movies here. i hope to pass on my love of horror movies to poppy, but i will NOT let her watch alien before she's ready lol... i saw it wen i was about 5, scared the absolute crap out of me!! (watched it on the sly wen my granny was looking after me one night :haha:)

I think I will be the best judge of what is appropriate for my kids. im talking movies here. i hope to pass on my love of horror movies to poppy, but i will NOT let her watch alien before she's ready lol... i saw it wen i was about 5, scared the absolute crap out of me!! (watched it on the sly wen my granny was looking after me one night :haha:)

Exactly, as long as it's done through knowledge of your child and not neglect I think you would know when is the right time. :flower:

I love Pulp Fiction its one of my all time faves, even though i was in my 20's when i saw it I was still horrified by the violence though, the bit where the lad eating the great kahuna burger bit and gets blasted, I was so scared even though its supposed to be a black comedy :wacko:

Thing is i dont want LO (when she watches these films in her teens) to become desensitized to violence, but like you say poppy its all down to how mentally mature and grounded the individual is at the end of the day.

You know I don't remember the violence in Pulp Fiction but then I thought it was rubbish and don't remember much of anything about it! It's just not to my taste and that probably is because of the violence! Lol

i dont think pulp fiction is particularly violent... i am COMPLETELY desensitised to violence and gore tho... complete horror buff, theres only 2 films that have ever scared me and neither wer very violent!

i dont think pulp fiction is particularly violent... i am COMPLETELY desensitised to violence and gore tho... complete horror buff, theres only 2 films that have ever scared me and neither wer very violent!

I usually find suspense more scary. But guts and gore just make me feel ill...I don't like to watch it because it makes me feel sick. Pulp Fiction was just messed up and not my cup of tea.

I like thrillers and horrors (but not the really gory ones more so the ones with a really good story that keeps u on the edge of ur seat but still scary!!). Movies like Pulp Fiction just dont do it for me

Oh and I was plenty horrified by a fist fight at a bus station a few years ago one evening. But films aren't real. :shrug:

No, I don't find violent films scary, just boring.

Is that desensitised to the extreme???

Haha! It can't be as I've nothing to have been desensitised by. I just prefer more brain to my entertainment. I couldn't watch very psychological horrors as they would scare me.

But violent films can be intelligent. They can also be very socially relevant. Or artistic. To write off all violent films is a little brash. you'd miss out on so many good films. Pulp fiction plays with traditional three act structure very well as do irreversible and memento. Clever. Not excessively so, but clever. Also hotel Rwanda deals with atrocities that occurred and makes a wider audience aware of them. I think saying you don't like viewing violence because you dislike seeing it is understandable but to say you prefer brain suggests films are either intelligent or violent without crossover which isn't true imo.

I think American History X is a violent film but one that everyone should watch. Memento is a great film!

No, I don't find violent films scary, just boring.

Is that desensitised to the extreme???

Haha! It can't be as I've nothing to have been desensitised by. I just prefer more brain to my entertainment. I couldn't watch very psychological horrors as they would scare me.

But violent films can be intelligent. They can also be very socially relevant. Or artistic. To write off all violent films is a little brash. you'd miss out on so many good films. Pulp fiction plays with traditional three act structure very well as do irreversible and memento. Clever. Not excessively so, but clever. Also hotel Rwanda deals with atrocities that occurred and makes a wider audience aware of them. I think saying you don't like viewing violence because you dislike seeing it is understandable but to say you prefer brain suggests films are either intelligent or violent without crossover which isn't true imo.

theres a french film called Martyrs that illustrated this point beautifully. On the surface, it's about torture. But its about how prolonged humiliation, physical pain, psycological manipulation can eventually create a martyr, i.e. someone who attains a higher level and sees what is beyond this world (in the film). it's FANTASTIC!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->