Giving up our vices and bad habits!

BoobsMcGee22

Reaction score
Just looking for thoughts, vents, advice, discussions on what you gals are doing to curb your vices and bad habits now that you have a bean on board.

I am a smoker. Not heavy. Mostly socially. That is OBVIOUSLY being given up. I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my son. Goodbye, smokes.

But I am also a coffee drinker. I love my coffee. I mean I LOVE my coffee. I have some every morning. Sometimes I have some at night. I have been a coffee devotee for many years. Coffee and I are good friends. I have been reading that some is ok, but are any of you ladies giving it up all together? Any suggestions?

I gave up sweets for the most part a few months ago when I started having a protein shake every morning. It cut the craving out. So THAT is good!

Anyone have anything they are struggling with?

I am struggling with fizzy drinks its the only thing that eases my nausea and when I try and drink water or dilute juice it just doesn't settle my stomach :(

Got to try and not drink so much as I was so slowly cutting down on how many cups I have in a day. x

I am struggling with fizzy drinks its the only thing that eases my nausea and when I try and drink water or dilute juice it just doesn't settle my stomach :(

Got to try and not drink so much as I was so slowly cutting down on how many cups I have in a day. x

Uhg...that's a tough one too! Maybe try mixing sparkling water with the juice?

Not a huge fan on sparkling water either. Hopefully once the nausea/morning sickness subsides I can start to drink water by the bucket load.

I try and drink one large glass of water when I take my pre-natals and folic acid before bed and I'm able to manage a cup of tea in the evenings so least thats something lol. x

I usually guzzle water anyway so that one is not too hard for me yet. I will see how that changes the more nausea I get though!

Maybe coffee will make me sick. That will make it easier!!!

I had the odd smoke. I don't drink anything other than tea and water, but I loved a smoke in the evening occasionally. It was my treat. I went cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. I sometimes want one but because I could go weeks without having one, it's not that hard.

What was hard was seeing a young, very pregnant girl outside the scan unit at hospital the other day smoking. My sense of smell is amazing at the moment and there were quite a few ladies sat there who stank of fags and perfume to cover it. It must be hard to give up but I just think of this surprise baby and won't touch one!

That is exactly what does it. It's hard to quit, but harder to get pregnant. I will take the baby!

I was a smoker and heavy coffee drinker up until 2 weeks ago when I found out I was pregnant. I would have 2 cups in the morning, smoke a cigarette or 2, then another cup before noon, and smoke a couple more during the day. I haven't had a single cup of coffee or a single cigarette in 2 weeks but it's HARD. Caffeine and nicotine withdrawls at the same time is brutal, and my doc even said to not quit cold turkey because the stress of withdrawls could be worse for me than the act of smoking itself. But if i get it out of my system now, I'll be clear sailing before the end of the first trimester :)

I haven't totally cut out caffeine - I used to drink one large cup of coffee a day. Now, I drink one cup coffee with 3/4 decaf and 1/4 regular. Sometimes I just drink green tea. I'm finding coffee isn't as appealing as it used to be! And yet the habit of it is hard to kick!

I haven't totally cut out caffeine - I used to drink one large cup of coffee a day. Now, I drink one cup coffee with 3/4 decaf and 1/4 regular. Sometimes I just drink green tea. I'm finding coffee isn't as appealing as it used to be! And yet the habit of it is hard to kick!

It's funny you say that because as the nausea came on this afternoon, I wanted coffee less and less. I actually threw away what i had left in my cup. Maybe I won't have too much trouble after all?

i used to drink tea allll the time 3 sometimes 6 cups a day, i cut back to one in the morning :)

the only thing i'm seriously struggling with is the chips and fatty food :( all i want is chips and dip :(

Sweets... Glorious sweets. They must go forever as I have been diagnosed with mild PCOS linked to insulin levels...

Tea and cheeses (beautiful unpasteurised Swiss, which I ate before knowing I was pg) must also go.

Chocolate however is staying in moderation :haha:

Coffee. And, mostly, wine! I glance over at our wine selection all the time and get depressed haha.

I quit smoking the instant I found out I was pregnant. It was easier than I thought, but before I knew I was pregnant I was already cutting back because it was beginning to bother me. Coffee was easy to quit too because it was making my stomach hurt terribly. I occasionally have a cup of tea but that is about it.

I haven't touched cigarettes at all, although I have had several dreams about them, but the intense guilt I feel about smoking while being pregnant in the dream is overwhelming to the point where I couldn't imagine having a cigarette in reality.

At the moment it's junk food, which is bizarre because I ate so healthily pre-pregnancy. I'm craving potato waffles, crisps, chocolate, fries and even fizzy drinks, which I hated before getting pregnant.

I used to eat lean meats, beans and lentils, heaps of vegetables and fruit...Now I'm lucky to get one piece of fruit a day and meat is off the menu entirely, it repulses me.

I don't really know what to do about it. I know from experience I can't force food I don't want on myself as it comes straight back up. I'm just rolling with it.

I am getting a bit jealous when my partner has a nice flavoured cider in the evenings too.

I'm still having my 1 cup of coffee, at least while it still appeals to me. Saying goodbye to wine, deli meats, soft cheeses (as long as they are pasteurized we will meet again in the second trimester) runny eggs, sushi.... I can't think of anymore. I don't smoke so that's not an issue.
As hard as some of these can be, it's all worth it in the end!

I'm still having my 1 cup of coffee, at least while it still appeals to me. Saying goodbye to wine, deli meats, soft cheeses (as long as they are pasteurized we will meet again in the second trimester) runny eggs, sushi.... I can't think of anymore. I don't smoke so that's not an issue.

i thought you could have soft cheeses even in 1st tri as long as they are pasturized?

i thought you could have soft cheeses even in 1st tri as long as they are pasturized?

You probably can, I just don't. It's just me being overly cautious I guess.

I've quit smoking, drinking & caffeine since I found out I'm pregnant on my birthday 4 days ago... So far so good, surviving on one cup of decaf coffee in 4 days hahaha xxxx

I love coffee as well, but surprisingly I am able to do without the caffeine, so I've switched to decaf and it doesn't feel like a sacrifice at all. However, I am very into beer, so that has really been hard...and I'm only 6 weeks pregnant! I've got a loooong way to go! I haven't really changed much about my diet. I ate pretty healthfully to begin with, didn't eat a lot of deli meat or soft cheeses, etc. I would say I've probably been eating more bread lately than I should...:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->