Giving water to babies??

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
Dont want to sound daft here but are you supposed to give water to babies that are formula fed? A friend said they need to be given water in between feeds but i wasnt aware of this and my MW has never mentioned it to me. x

i didnt give water to rhys until i weaned him at 4 months

no you don't sweetie, the only time would be as they get older, as Terrie syas when weaning or when it is very warm

Warm water - Cooled down to warm from boiling water for problems with wind/burping < Thats all Ive been told by MW. Maybe thats where you friend is confused.

i was advised t give cooled boiled water as it helps with constipation

I could never get any down my LO, just a couple of sips if that, he hated it, felt like he was getting short changed lol.
I tried once a day, just to get a tiny bit down him, more to help him with constipation.
At 16 weeks I started weaning him and now he loves it, he'll have an oz or 2 after dinner and tea and its really helped his poos too :blush:

Cx

My mum would always (and still does say sometimes) that babies need water and must get so thirsty, but this isn't true.. babies don't get as thirsty as we do, plus the formula is mainly water.. so they are getting all they need from it. The only time I gave Bethanie water before she was eating food properly was when: A)she wouldn't go long between feeds, then hardly drink anything when she did, B)when she was constipated (a little prune juice or fresh squeezed orange in the water also helps).

Obviously, sometimes if it's hot or you just feel baby needs a drink.. go with what you think. Try to stick to only a few ounces of water too, as too much can cause more harm than good.

Formula fed babies do not need water in between feeds. They drink the same time as BF babies, which is when they start being weaned. Water is used mainly on young babies to help with constipation usually with a little of something else added. x

My health visitor thought Caitlin has thrush on her tongue which is perfectly common but after a couple of sips of warm water her tongue is fine so it was just milk. Like my OH said the milk stuck on the tongue can't be nice *yak*

My health visitor thought Caitlin has thrush on her tongue which is perfectly common but after a couple of sips of warm water her tongue is fine so it was just milk. Like my OH said the milk stuck on the tongue can't be nice *yak*

It is no milk like we know it.....

Can't be nice sitting on the tongue though surely regardless? Plus baby milk does go off.

I gave Oliver a drop of water yesterday to help soften his poo abit...anyone would think id gave him poison he hated it! x

I give Juleika warm boiled water after feeding now as well as she has some dark blueish spots on her milky way tongue.

it didn't appear to be trush as the HV at the baby clinic confirmed today and she advised to give water after feeding.

hope it goes away, her tongue looks a bit like roquefort cheese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->