Glass baby bottles

lemily

Reaction score
Hi,

To those that use bottles for EBM or for formula, have any of you tried/thought about using glass baby bottles? There appears to be more and more studies that suggest that infants are affected by chemicals like BPA (and others) leaking from plastics and I wondered if any of you considered it so much of a concern to try glass bottles.

To be honest, I didn't know that glass existed, but they do! Wonder what the practicalities are.

TIA.

I've never considered it to be honest. I always planned to breastfeed so when we did buy bottles, it was a case of me being in hospital and sending hubby out to Tesco - I was just grateful that he managed to buy something resembling a bottle! We've just stuck with the brand he bought then (Avent) although as I've bought the bigger ones, I've gone for BPA free.

I wonder if the glass ones are like that special glass that's really hard to break? I don't think they'd last very long if they weren't!

I never considered it, good job really as the number of times the Avent ones have gone bang on the floor I would have replaced about 50!

Its easy enough to find BPA free, the avents are, if that is your worry.

I was aware of BPA-free ones, and its a fantastic step, but there are a few other chemicals under consideration such as those used in the production of plastics that get trapped in the plastic. Apparently they release into milk if you use plastic bottles to store breast milk, or when you heat milk in the bottles. It's quite scary really, as they don't have all the answers, but the chemicals cause rats to have insulin resistance, weight gain, suggestions of heart disease. It's a bit of a mine field really, as no one really knows what the effects of the chemicals in plastic are!

I figure with glass ones you can sterilise them as you wish, and they are more environmentally friendly, but there obviously is that chance of breakage, though there seems to be recommendations to put a rubber sleeve on them so they bounce!

Just wondered whether any natural mama's had chosen them from environmental reasons e.g. easily recyclable (glass recycling is more efficient than plastic), or for worries over chemicals in plastic, or just simply because, until recently, they were the only option.

Might see in the formula feeding section too, but bottles aren't exclusively for formula so I thought I would try here first.

Thanks for your responses. I'd love to hear from someone who has chosen to use them.

thanks for the info!

I bought some, but have not used them yet

I have bought TT closer to nature BPA free bottles- nearly all of the bottles in Mothercare were marked as BPA free though. I did consider the glass Green Baby bottles, but at a tenner each from our local health shop I had to change my mind!!

I read up on glass bottles but decided to go for the BPA free plastic for my EBM as I am quite clumsy :haha:
Also, I've heard that the cream of the milk tends to stick to the sides more with glass bottles, apparently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->