• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Glucose test question and a bit of a rant

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
I've recieved my glucose test papers and I have a few questions. It says 26 weeks but I'm already 27+3, is there a certain cut off date? Also is there any special preparations I have to make (eg. Fluid intake, or fasting etc) I'm pretty sure it's just a blood test but if someone knows more, I'd love to hear what it entails :)
Now for the vent :haha:
Last night I was really hormonal. I was snappy and just plain irritated. It came out of nowhere and I kept feeling like I was about to burst into tears. OH could tell something was wrong so he kept asking and I ended up telling him that I was overly irritated for no reason and to just leave it. So he decided to help me with dinner, which kind of made it all worse. Because I was grouchy he got a tad snarky and I ended up saying to him that I'm feeling quite hormonal and that he wasnr being very supportive or understanding of that fact and he got really cranky at that. He just can't seem to understand and just let me be pregnant. He seems to think I'm having a go at him even when I tell him it's just hormones. It's kind of like he thinks it's just an excuse to be a bitch. I understand how he feels which makes me feel worse and even though I'm never hurtful I feel horrid for being so touchy which makes me more upset and it spirals. Not over the top spiral, we go back to normal in about 5 minutes. I just hate hormones >.<

The one hour test has no special instructions. You just go, drink the drink and have a draw an hour later. They give you the results in a couple days.

It says two hour. I'm guessing this just means I wait two hours instead of one?

I was just at my doctor on Friday talking about the glucose test. She said it's typically done between weeks 24-28. I was sent home with a glucose drink and instructions for my next visit in 4 weeks, when I'll have the test done. With my test, I have to fast for 3 hours prior (water only), drink the whole bottle of orange glucose drink, then have my blood drawn exactly an hour later. I had the same test last pregnancy. I think there is another type of glucose test, but I've only had this particular type.

I have mine in September. I think I'll be around 26 weeks.
In the uk you have to fast from 10pm the night before and only allowed sips of water to wet your mouth until 6am the next morning.
My test is being done at 9am. You have blood taken, then given a glucose drink to down in one, then you sit still for 2 hours then they will take another blood sample. You should then receive the results in 3 to 5 days.

I'm also UK and booked in to have mine at 28 weeks?!

I was advised to fast from midnight :shrug:

Yes my (uk) test is listed as 26+ weeks. It states to not smoke or eat anything after midnight.only to drink plain water. Also states not not take any sugar based medication, so no gaviscon etc. My tests not until 9:30 so not sure how I'll make it to that with an empty stomach. May have to have a cheeky bacon sandwich lined up for after the test (altho states will take 2 hours so suppose I may not be out until lunch?)

Ill be in week 26 when i have mine. I have to fast from 10pm night before. My appt is at 8:40am for 3hr one.

I didn't have to fast at all. It sounds like you should probably call and verify since there are so many differing things. There is a one hour glucose test that doesn't require fasting and I three hour that does. If you don't know which you are doing, you need to call.

I had a one hour which i apparently failed, so I had to have the 2 hour, and it was fasting after midnight with only a bit of water (only if you must) go in have blood drawn, drink the drink within 10 minutes, wait one hour, have blood drawn again, then wait 1 more hour and blood drawn again, I should get the results of that tomorrow when I see my OB, I think it depends where you are as to how its done. I would call your clinic and ask them, as here it is by appointment only.

I'm in the US and I've always fasted for mine (the one hour test) but my dr told me this last time that I didn't really need to. He said just don't eat anything super sweet and sugary for about 3 hours before and to eat a normal but maybe blander diet. So eggs and sausage are fine for breakfast but maybe I should skip the OJ if I'm going in for my GD test that day. Does that make sense? And here it's done between 24-28 weeks. I had mine done at 28 because that's when I saw the dr and when he typically likes to do it but with my other kids it was done more around 26 weeks. Depends on the dr really. I scheduled mine around my dr's appt so I went in, drank the juice, met with the dr, and went back to the lab for my blood draw when the hour was up. I was told not to walk too much extra and to be at the lab so the blood test could be done as close to an hour as possible.

My doc told me about this test today. She said they can do it up until 28 weeks and to fast from midnight on...

Yes my (uk) test is listed as 26+ weeks. It states to not smoke or eat anything after midnight.only to drink plain water. Also states not not take any sugar based medication, so no gaviscon etc. My tests not until 9:30 so not sure how I'll make it to that with an empty stomach. May have to have a cheeky bacon sandwich lined up for after the test (altho states will take 2 hours so suppose I may not be out until lunch?)

You fear right. With the UK 2hour test you can't eat anything, or drink anything other than sips of water, til after the 2nd blood test is done. My apt is at 10am so that's nothing from 10pm til after 12 the next day for me....

Hmm, I think calling them would be best as it all seems mixed, depending on doctor and country. Will have to book it for sometime this week then as I'm only a few days off 28 weeks. Pity it will have to be done when OH is at work :'( I HATE needles!

So what exactly does it test for? It says 2 hour glucose tolerance test, FBC, group (blood) and antibodies. I have no idea what any of this means. What would be a negative outcome, just so I can prepare :)

It is testing to see if you are diabetic. It is necessary as if you are they have to make sure they watch you and baby.

With the one hour there is no need to fast, but I watch sugars the day before and eat protein for breakfast.

With two hour I am pretty sure they are going to want you to fast.

There is really no parameters other then they want it done by the beginning of third tri. I opt to take it beginning of second and third as my mother is diabetic, I am not, passed it multiple times but I would rather be prepared.:haha:

For my one hour test I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything (water or chew gum) two hours before the test.

Hi I just had mine today (I'm in the UK) my appointment was at 9am and so I had to fast from 9pm the night before. I couldn't have anything, no food, only sips of water and no sweets, chewing gum, vitamins etc. I had bloods taken at 9.15 then had to drink a bottle of Lucozade then sit and do nothing for 2 hours (it was bliss as I took my book) then I had my bloods repeated at 11.15. Hope this helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->