Glucose test question !

kaylamariee

Reaction score
When do you get the glucose test?
And what is it for?
Thanks ladies x

I'm not getting it this time as I've already been diagnosed with GD but its usually 26-28 weeks.

Usually around 26 weeks to determine whether or not gestational diabetes is a concern.
They will take your blood, give you a glucose drink and then take your blood two hours later to test.

u get one around 28 weeks. if ur diabetic overweight or baby is on the bigger size.

u can become diabetic during pregnancy then it goes shortly after. if u have it then they will monitor baby.

the test is glucose test u drink lucozade wait 2 hrs then test u again

I'm going to be having this done purely because I have PCOS and women with PCOS are at a higher risk of developing gestational diabetes.

The test happens around 28 weeks, you have to not eat before the test (for like 2 hours I think, but they'll tell you) they take your blood to check your blood sugar levels, then make you drink a glucose drink, and leave you for two hours. During this time you're not allowed to move around! Then they take your blood again and can see if you have GD or not.

If it turns out you do have it you should be able to control it just through eating carefully, but they'll give you all the advice you need when you're there I'm sure.

u get one around 28 weeks. if ur diabetic overweight or baby is on the bigger size.

u can become diabetic during pregnancy then it goes shortly after. if u have it then they will monitor baby.

the test is glucose test u drink lucozade wait 2 hrs then test u again

They test everyone in the US! Not sure where you are located OP. I had no risk factors and still had it with my first, waiting on the results for this pregnancy. Anyone can get GD. Mine was easy controlled with diet though.

Every hospital/area of the world is different. Most of the answers given here do not coincide with what my doctor is going to do so your best bet is to give him/her a call.

I am getting one on April 16th, Il be nearly 29 weeks... the only reason the midwife wants it done is because my dad is type 1 diabetic, even tho I told her he is only diabetic since taking anti rejection tablets for a kidney that he received, but they wanna be safe than sorry.... Iv been told to fast from 8pm the night before and not have even a glass of water so that when she gives me lucozade the tests will be accurate,,,

I was tested very early (around 13 wks) with DD#1 because the doctor felt I was at risk and sure enough, I had GD.

With this pregnancy, they tested me at the same time (13 wks) and I was fine, but I will be getting tested again at 26 weeks, which is the normal time that they test most pregnant women.

The first test is usually a 1 hour test and if you pass that, you don't have to do anything else. If you fail that, they send you for a 3 hour test, and if you fail that one, that is when the GD is diagnosed. A lot of women can manage GD with diet alone, and I was able to do that for a few weeks when I had GD, but I ultimately had to go on insulin once a day (there is a medication option as well in many places, but it has only been around for 10 years or so, so I declined that route and went with insulin). This is at least how it is handled here in my part of the US. Like another lady has said, depending on where you are, things may be handled differently.

I've got mine on Mar 8th the 1 hour test, I guess if I don't pass the 1 hour test, I have to go back and do the 3 hr one which I hear is worse. Keeping my fingers crossed I pass the 1 hour one! :)

I was tested at 12 weeks but because of my age they test here every trimester. They took a blood sample, then I had to drink glucose followed by 1 hour sitting down (no walking around), then another blood test. They called me with results 5 hrs later.
If you're under 35 I believe they only do it once during the pregnancy. x

Thank you ladies.
I'm in Canada, which I'm guessing everyone has to get it done here as well?

I'm going to be having this done purely because I have PCOS and women with PCOS are at a higher risk of developing gestational diabetes.

The test happens around 28 weeks, you have to not eat before the test (for like 2 hours I think, but they'll tell you) they take your blood to check your blood sugar levels, then make you drink a glucose drink, and leave you for two hours. During this time you're not allowed to move around! Then they take your blood again and can see if you have GD or not.

If it turns out you do have it you should be able to control it just through eating carefully, but they'll give you all the advice you need when you're there I'm sure.
It's not always easily controlled with diet. I had to be put on insulin because any carbs would send my numbers way too high. They usually try the GD diet first and if that doesn't work then put you on insulin though. To say you "should" be able to control it with diet is not entirely true.

If you have risk factors they will test you earlier. Last time mine was controlled with diet but my initial fail was borderline.
I am having my test on Monday I will be almost 23 weeks.

I will do mine next week. Do I have to fast first? I REALLY hope they will let me go back to work after the drink and come back.... I only work 5mins walk from where the test is done.

I will do mine next week. Do I have to fast first? I REALLY hope they will let me go back to work after the drink and come back.... I only work 5mins walk from where the test is done.

I had to fast, with no food or water until after the 2nd blood test. They also said it was very important I didn't walk anywhere but kept sat still for that hour in bewteen the 1st and 2nd blood test......I'm in Spain, but suppose that's the same everywhere..?? x

It depends on what test you were ordered. Best to check with your doctor about fasting. I doubt you will be able to leave after the drink. They don't want you moving around a lot. I was told I was not allowed to sleep either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->