Glucose tolerance test disaster !

emmi26

Pregnant
Reaction score
Had the glucose test from hell my midwife ( im changing her she's horrible) sent me for it as my daughter is type 1 as I tried to explain at the time my daughter was born with a problem with her pancreas that caused type 1 no one else in my family has ever had it. But she didn't listen so I went anyway I fasted from 10 pm last night as instructed i went to my appointment at 9 am they did the first blood test and gave me this drink it was disgusting it was like green glue as soon as I started to drink I felt sick really sick. I then went to sit down for 2 hours I have an autistic little boy and my husband had to take him home as he was becoming upset so j sat there for 2 hours feeling sick in first tri I had hg so I've had bad sickness anyway this pregnancy which I warned them about. After 2 long hours she called me in she put the needle in my arm when nothing was coming out she wiggled the needle inside my arm I yelped in pain she said mes to do that again took it out as she did I said I'm going to be sick she looked at me then passed me a bucket I was so so sick she said well that's your test out the window can't do it now !
She was so nasty about it then said I need to ring the ward came in said has your daughter got this problem with her pancreas I said yes she said well you don't need the test anyway then !! Your not high risk so 2 hours 2 blood tests one failed being sick banging headache and all for nothing !!
I'm so fed up ky midwife is horrible too although while at the centre I looked into changong and it's easy so after next weeks appt I wil be changing midwifed
Honestly still feeling ill now husband is furious
Oh and my arm is purple like swollen purple :(
Sorry needed to rant to someone
Emma

That's terrible!!! I'm so sorry you went through that. I hate it when people don't listen. Yes change providers. I've changed three times this pregnancy. I'm still not thrilled with who I have right now but she is going to be the best fit for the birth I want (and can afford).

I'm sorry for your awful experience! I had a GTT done myself, but my sister has type 1 diabetes which is why I was invited for the test. The glucose drink is awful I've heard, but you can have original Lucozade instead, I know because that's what I had as they has some and offered it to me! (Just for future reference if you ever have to have a test again)

When I fasted I only had to from 12am until my 8am appointment but was given a jug of water in the day room for the 2 hour waiting part. When my first bloods were taken the midwife had to go in quite deep to get my first blood sample from my arm, it wasn't easy to get a sample and usually there's no problems! The second blood sample had to be taken from the back of my hand as, like you, it was difficult to obtain a sample from my arm. They didn't want to hurt/bruise me unnesscessarily and it wasn't that bad, they gave me toast after too, so I'm baffled why they were so awful to you! :hugs:

I would complain and change your midwife they are there so support you not upset you! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->