Go to A&E or not...?

jenny82

Reaction score
My LO was breastfed until this morning and I have been expressing and mixing it with formula since then.

Her weight has dropped from 7lb10 to 6lb9 since Sunday. She was checked yesterday and today and had dropped an ounce overnight. The MW, doctor, bf-ing support person I was speaking too were all really worried about such a weight drop.

I've been then feeding her mixed bf/formula. Was told to keep an eye on what she is taking it. She had 1oz at 8am this morning, 1.5oz mid morning, 2.5oz when the MW was here (sicked up some of it though) and just there took 1oz. MW told me she should be getting 3oz every 3 hours, which she definitely has not been getting. If she still had issues feeding, to take her to the childrens A&E.

She had been listless/lethargic since yesterday and this has continued to today. She fell asleep mid-feed and wouldn't waken for the rest at all. Not sure what to do but am now terrified of the night time. Our A&E has a 6 hour waiting time and with a 2 year old as well, I just don't know whether to bring her down or not... :cry:

Awe hun, i would probably take her or atleast call them and ask their advice. Does sick up her feed alot? Does she arch her back or fight you or seem uncomfortable while you feed or after? Because you could have reflux or Silent reflux, which my LO has, it is when you throw the acid and milk up from the stomach but swallow it. But, my LO became so afraid to feed that she was losing weight like crazy and she was already VERY small. She was premature. Let me know the out come.. And good luck!!!

I wouldn't yet tbh. She is only tiny and still getting used to the outside world. My LO basically only woke for a feed every few hours and slept inbetween all feeds for the first month or so, she was barely awake! Our families didn't see her eyes until she was a few weeks old!!

Since then she has always had less milk than the usual for her age, she just is't a bit drinker :shrug:Perhaps your LOis the same. I would leave it at least another week, just keep monitoring her.

With her being lethargic... I would be going. She could dehydrated. :flower:

Emergency rooms here in the US generally have a very long wait time. But, it's priority. If your LO is legthargic, and only 4 days old, they'll get you in quicker. Maybe call them, and let them know you're going?

I wouldn't say a baby of that age and weight should be getting 3oz every 3 hours; from my understanding that would be the average amount for a 4 week old onwards; so 1-2oz per feeding is fine. Perhaps the MW is confused because when my eldest and youngest were back in hospital they were taking 3oz at s week old and the paediatricians said the average was 1-2oz, and they were telling the parents of a baby they were discharging to give around 60ml (2oz) per feeding and he was 2 weeks old.

However the other things you have described sound worrying; and I would go to A&E, how is your baby's colour-is she jaundiced? A similar scenario happened with my eldest and I now know due to having another baby the same (my youngest) that he was severely tongue tied and lip tied as well as having a very high arched roof of his mouth and he was quite small; so he simply couldn't get the milk into himself properly-even when he was older he struggled and if he had a bottle most of the time he would not be able to swallow most of it and it would go everywhere. He was extremely dehydrated and very badly jaundiced as well; a very severe form of jaundice runs in the family anyway but because he was so dehydrated and also due to him not getting enough light due to the weather being so grim, it was so many times worse. I knew there was a problem but aside from one midwife; the rest kept fobbing me off with him. Nowadays they are more aware of these things and hopefully will be able to find out what is going on and if it is a tongue tie or anything like that xx

Have you got an out of hours doctor you could see? Then if you need to take her in the GP should be able to phone through and you'll skip A&E.

I'd definitely get LO looked at tonight just to be on the safe side. Let us know how she goes.

I agree with PP that it could be reflux, my LO had silent reflux and it can make feeding a nightmare
Xxx

Id go honey losing weight plus lethargy and not feeding would worry me. Can you get a sitter for little fella? X keep us posted x

I agree about the reflux thing as well, my eldest had it though again back in those days (nearly eight years ago) it wasn't really recognised xx

I would go, especially with the rapid weight loss, not feeding and lethargy.... I would do my best to find a sitter and if I couldn't I would still go. Her age and symptoms they should get you in really quick, at least that's how it is here in the US. Please keep us updated, many blessings and good luck!!

Definitely get her checked out. That is a dramatic weight loss. Babies are expected to lose around 7-10% of their body weight in the first few days, but you're about double that. It's most likely due to her not getting enough food in the first few days, but if she's not taking enough at the bottle (I was told 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours) and is very lethargic, she could be developing jaundice, getting dehydrated, etc.

Mine lost a lot of weight and developed jaundice after leaving the hospital. We started supplementing with formula (2oz between breastmilk and formula every 2 hours) and she gained 8 oz in two days. She was getting severely dehydrated, but in my case, she took to formula quickly and gobbled it down so we ended up not having to take her to a doctor.

She is a bit jaundiced.

I phoned the out of hours doctor who said to wait to see how she feeds next and if its still rubbish, then bring her to A&E. I just hate going there though as its not the cleanest place on earth, espec for a 4 day old and we would be waiting hours.

She didn't sick up any of her breastfeeds but did to 2 of her bottle feeds. I guess she might also have some nipple/bottle confusion..?

LOs do loose weight after theyre born and my LO was struggling to get down 2oz every 4 hours for a week
when you say shes lethargic, what do you think a 4 day old baby should be like? ive never seen a lively newborn :haha: all they do is sleep!
to me it sounds totally normal and id continue with formula and see how she goes tbh
you could ring an out of hours service if youre that worried though :)

I would go, I'm sure with LO being so young they will see you a lot quicker. :hugs: Hope all is ok xx

My eldest lost exactly the same amount in oz and was a similar starting weight; they figured it out to be a 14% loss-for some babies this is ok but coupled with everything else it does sound worrying, you know as a mum when something isn't right even if its your first child. With my eldest he didn't wake up for 9 hours and when they came to take bloods from him in A&E he didn't even flinch, when they checked his bilirubin level it was several levels above the 'needing a blood transfusion' line though in the end he didn't need that as he was found not to have a blood group problem. I knew there was a problem when he started getting jaundiced very quickly after he was born, after about 24 hours but by 36 hours old his eyes and everything were yellow and he was listless and had a weak cry all along but no-one would listen, I am so grateful to that one MW who told me to take him to A&E xx

She is a bit jaundiced.

I phoned the out of hours doctor who said to wait to see how she feeds next and if its still rubbish, then bring her to A&E. I just hate going there though as its not the cleanest place on earth, espec for a 4 day old and we would be waiting hours.

She didn't sick up any of her breastfeeds but did to 2 of her bottle feeds. I guess she might also have some nipple/bottle confusion..?

Well, I wouldn't wait too long before taking her to see someone. I don't put too much stock in doctors but in your baby's case I think a doctor is definitely necessary. At least she is keeping some of it down.. but nipple/bottle confusion is definitely a issue. My LO never really took to using a bottle, even when I tried, she had an almost perfect latch to the nipple from the start.

I do wish you all the best and will be praying for you and your LO. Keep us posted on how things are going!!:hugs:

Shes been quite alert since she has been born and there is a very noticeable change between yesterday and today. Am going to express some more now and try to feed again so I'll see how this one goes adn then decide. Am sure my brother will come look after the other LO - he'll be asleep anyway :thumbup:

When it comes to being lethargic I would take her Hun,being so young i'm sure u would go to the front of the queue and it's better to b safe than sorry xx

I would take her, I expect they'll take her to the kids ward rather than waiting in a and e as she's so young, that's what they did for my friends baby, each hospitals different though. Hope she's ok Xx

Jenny, can you call your midwife and ask her to make a home visit right now? Discuss your concerns, and ask her to check over little lady thoroughly?

We took Lizzie to A&E when she was very, very wee...she had jaundice and had got lethargic. They saw us almost immediately due to her a/ being a baby b/ DH insisting they saw us ASAP with her being a baby...

Lethargy is a symptom of jaundice, and it's very common, so don't worry. Lizzie went a really bright shade of orange, and was put under a lamp for 24 hours, with me expressing while she was there. In retrospect, the consultant said we probably could have solved it at home by keeping her in the bright light. Ally had a bit, too, but not to the same extent.

If you're remotely concerned, go to a&e. If worried about germs, ask if you can sit in a cubicle to feed...and feed where poss...I always went armed with latex gloves to hospital, too.

Let us know how you get on, chick. Don't worry...they will get to the bottom of it, and it will all be sorted. Newborn settling in times are worrying. Big :hugs:

Ps once you've sorted this, sleep! I know it's easier said than done, having a similar age gap, but ask someone to sit with the littlies and just wake you to feed. 45 mins needs to be worked on :hugs: eat and drink plenty, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->