Going back to uni with young children?!?!

embeth

Mum to 4 perfect children
Reaction score
Hello ;)

Just wandered if anyone here had attempted to do a degree with young children and how they found it??

I am a teacher and currently on maternity leave until
Next sept. I have for a long time wanted to train as a midwife though. I know its hard work, unsociable hours etc. My only concern is my children, they have never been in any kind of childcare.

I have 3 boys who are nearly 7, 5 and 3 weeks ( prob wouldn't apply for a course that would mean youngest would be 2 when I started)

Anyone have any experience with managing something like this? It's something I would so love to do xx

I'm going to school right now to be a teacher. 20 hours/week of classes, 5 hours of mandatory volunteering at a school, plus lots of homework - and I'm doing it all alone while raising my 1 year old. I'm a single mom too, and have no family nearby. So zero help. Its not easy, but if I can do it under my circumstances I'm sure you'd definitely be fine in yours. Where there's a will, there's a way. :flower: A midwife would be such a rewarding career too.

Thank you... Goodluck with becoming a teacher ;) iv been qualified for 8 years, it' can be great and very rewarding at times. Also excellent hours for when you are qualified and having sch hols etc xx

My hubby is currently in year 3 of 4 of a degree and then hoped to go on to do his PGCE. He has me at home at the moment (been off work since Feb 2012) but prior to that I was working 4 days a week, Earl as in childcare most of the week around our combined timetables/schedules. It's hard, but doable....hard in that it can cost a lot (but you get a lot of help with childcare as a student) and also hard in time and energy. However, we've now got 3 kids and hubby is going into his final year. His schedule is mad, but with support he's managing well and is on course to succeed. I'm very proud of him.

All I can say is nothing ventured, nothing gained and if you want to do it, research it and give it a go. You'll never regret the things you tried, only the things that passed you by.

Good luck xx

p.s. once he's qualified I'm going back to Uni....not sure what to do yet, but by then the kids will be 7, 4 and 3 so will get the free hours/full time school for all of them.

Hey I'm going to school with a 3 month old and a two year old. My hubby watches them while I go to school and I do homework when they go to bed. I always try to be ahead in classes in case something comes up like a growth spurt and they don't sleep. I try to balance online classes and in school classes. It's hard but rewarding :)

I did pgce last year... It is hard work but definitely doable... One thing with child care though is it is done on house hold income and your outgoings and they use that to determine how such help you get. We got no child care help!

Thanks all. I have a lot to think about! My plan is to return to my teaching job next sept anyway as I wouldn't apply for midwifery until that point for the 2015 course. I want to be doubly sure that it's the right decision and think going back will help that xx goodluck to all of you studying/doing courses at the moment xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->