Going past EDD runs in families?

maggz

Cautiously Pregnant w/ #1
Reaction score
Hey ladies, just wondering what the likelihood of me going past EDD is... Both my sisters went exactly 42 weeks with their first babies, and my mom went 2 weeks past her due date with me as well.
A friend had her daughter 3 weeks before and said most of the women in her family did the same.

So what do you think? Does this run in families? I am already expecting to go over so I'm not even really counting my due date as my due date (so we're clear I'm not asking cause I'm hoping to find out otherwise haha), but just started thinking if it makes sense.

As much as it would suck to go two weeks over, it would also suck to be expecting exactly that and then be unprepared if baby decides to come early! :haha:

I was expecting to go over with DS as my mum did with her first two and most first time mums go over, he came two weeks early.

lol well there goes my whole belief system :rofl:

I was expecting to go over with DS as my mum went over with me and it was my first but he came on his due date x

I was told that it does, my midwife asked about the labours and how long my mum carried for with me and my brothers. She went two weeks over with all of us. I had to be induced at 38 weeks with DS so I don't know for sure that I would have gone overdue but when I went in I was totally unfavourable for induction, there were no signs I was going to go into Labour any time soon so I'm convinced I would have gone overdue. I think i will with this one too.

dom will you be induced again?

At this point no, I was induced because I had gestational diabetes last time but I had my 28 week GTT and it was negative this time and its unlikely that you develop it after 28 weeks so so far it looks like I won't need to be. I'm preparing myself to go overdue :/

I can't see why it would be related to be honest. Labours can happen for a number of reasons. Both myself and my mother had preemies 3 months early and later went on to have children overdue, so if there was any link, why the gestational difference between our children ykwim? If it ran in families babies would be born about the same gestation ?

My mum went 15 days overdue with me, her first, but my first baby was born on her due date, and my second was early at 35wk5days due to excess fluid probably.

I think if every single thing was the same, then the time you deliver may run in families, but outside things alter that, and if they alter it enough then you can give birth at a totally different time because those outside things push you off your 'genetic track'. Just my theory!

My friend said all the women in her family delivered at 38 weeks and she did too so maybe x

With my 1st my MW asked whet my mothers labours had been like and said that often they see a correlation. She couldn't say why though, just that experience tells them it's worth noting. My cousin just had his 1st baby and his wife was watched closely for signs of delivering early as her mum and younger sister both had early babies (she did have LO early, 36 weeks exactly). It's worth mentioning though that something like 70% of first babies are overdue, so it could well be coincidence that your family have their babies late.

I was my mom's first born and was born between 35-36 weeks. My siblings however all came at 40 weeks +. I was induced at 40+6/41 weeks with my daughter...everyone expected I'd go into labor at 35-36 weeks like my mom did but that pregnancy was different due to being a multiples pregnancy and my mom having both GD and PE.

Personally I am not counting down, but I'm expecting my baby will probably come at around 41 weeks this time too.

My sister doesn't have children, so I don't have any experiences for her. But my mom went 2 weeks past due with both of us.
I was told my whole pregnancy with my son to expect to go to 42 weeks because my mom did. I went to 39. And my labor was nothing like either of hers. My water broke first.
I have a friend who has gone overdue in every pregnancy and so have her sisters. The same thing happened with their mom with all of her pregnancies. So, I can see that there do appear to be trends sometimes, but it didn't happen that way at all for me.

Late babies & long labors run in my family too, and dh's. I had my 1st just 4 days late, which isn't too bad. However my son was the shocker, my water broke on 38+6 and I had him an hour later.

My mom was induced with me at 43 weeks. My grandmother had all 6 of her children at 42 weeks. I was expecting to go over with my daughter but i went into labour naturally on her due date, and she was born at 40 +1. Also my mom and grandmother had 9 lbs + babies while my daughter weighed 7lbs2oz. I think there may be a correlation but there really is no garantee.

It's seems to be for our family. My mother went to 42 weeks with all of us, and I'm pretty sure I would have if I hadn't been induced at 41 weeks. My mother also never had morning sickness and I didn't either. :) I was born in the 6 lb range, and so was my daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->