Good day, bad day

halullat

Reaction score
Hello All, I have been very worried about my milk supply for the last few weeks where I have been solely breastfeeding as for the first few weeks I had to sometimes use formula to ensure my LO was getting enough milk because he had jaundice. But today I took him to be weighed and he came in at 14lbs 5oz at 7 weeks 2 days so has steadily gained weight and they are happy enough that I don't need to take him to be weighed at the clinic any more.

But his head measurements show his head is growing too fast, this Monday I was referred to a paediatrician due to the concern that part of his skull may have fused early, and so I think this is another sign that that may be the case. I'm going to keep going back to get his head measured weekly, but I am very scared.

So in some ways I am happier and in others I am sadder, sorry for the moan but I wanted to share my good news for others who have had trouble and had to top up or use bottles in conjunction with breastfeeding but am struggling to think of the good without dwelling on the bad. I'm just hoping that everything is okay with his health and that his weight gain continues nicely.

Hope your LO is fine I responded on your other thread on the topic on baby club I think, but I also wanted to offer reassurance, with your baby's head growing 'too fast' it would be less likely the skull has fused prematurely in one place because this would usually restrict the overall level of growth and they tend to look for baby dropping centiles in HC as a marker for this, not the opposite. Secondly it may be that your baby is just genetically predisposed to be on a higher centile in head size than they were born on, this has been the case with most of mine, two jumped one centile and youngest his head circumference after 24 hours from birth (which is when they are supposed to measure now, due to new guidelines) was on the 25th centile. By 8 weeks it was on the 91st, my GP wasn't concerned as this is a normal centile for my family and she was a paediatrician as well as several other things before becoming a GP so she knew the signs of anything sinister. His head has stayed on the 91st centile ever since. My middle son his head jumped several centiles in the first couple of years and by three his head was 2 INCHES off the top of the charts (they aren't in the red book but can be found online), he did look odd and had to wear adult hats but it slowed down and he is a perfectly normal 6 year old now xx

Thank you so much summer rain loads of my family have very big heads, they all rip christmas hats! So I had originally put it down to that but then got worried when people seem to be concerned and after I noticed the bump out the back hadn't always been there. They've now asked me to get his head measured twice a week, and I'm trying not to let that stress me out. I'm really nervous about bfing in public so at least I can hopefully practise that all being well!

Thank you both again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->