Good DIY resources for cloth nappies/diapers?

Croc-O-Dile

Reaction score
I really want to try my hand at making an AIO, but all the instructions I can find are for real hardcore DIYers, which I am not. So I don't really understand the instructions. :blush:

Also, I don't own a sewing machine, so all the sewing I do is by hand. It takes longer and is more tedious, but it suits me fine. Do I need a sewing machine to sew my nappies? I'm fairly certain that my grandmother owns one, so I could always ask to borrow her's. But if I can do it by hand, that's be nice.

I think you may struggle to do it by hand to be honest as your going to need tight seams, I'd try borrow the machine

For a AIO you will need a inner fabric (something like micro fleece or suede cloth is good as they draw moisture away from baby's bum, leaving the fabric dry to the touch) then a inner 'soaker' fabric (this could be microfibre, bamboo, hemp, or better still a mixture of maybe microfibre & bamboo or microfibe & hemp) then your outer fabric, this is where your lucky living in america, you get alot of pretty PUL over there which we don't really get in the UK (which is why i tend to end up doing hidden pull then covering in polyester fabric or some kind)

The you need elastic, aplix, polyester thread (you must use polyester thread, cotton thread will wick) and sew using a ball point needle

I make my own nappies/diapers (i have a business doing it) so if you need any more help let me know :)

oh and make sure you join 'diaperswappers' it is a american forum that has a crafty section and those girls give great advice on sewing diapers

also check out you tube, they have alot of videos with tips and tutorials on sewing diapers :)

Thank you! Do you reckon I'd be able to find micro fleece or bamboo in a regular fabric store? Or would I need to order it?

Thank you! Do you reckon I'd be able to find micro fleece or bamboo in a regular fabric store? Or would I need to order it?

I'm not sure hunny, in the UK it is difficult to find instore but then again so is PUL, where I had heard that you can buy PUL in regular fabric stores in america.

I found them all at Joanne's Fabric and Craft Store :)

BTW, PUL is called Utility fabric there. lol

oh and make sure you join 'diaperswappers' it is a american forum that has a crafty section and those girls give great advice on sewing diapers

also check out you tube, they have alot of videos with tips and tutorials on sewing diapers :)

Was also going to mention 'diaperswappers' there is some fab information on there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->