Good high energy snacks for during labor?

kfarb

Reaction score
I was reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and she said it's good to be able to eat if you feel like it during labor. My BirthCare Center doesn't allow it, but DH is gonna sneak me snacks if I need. I'm doing it naturally, and I don't want to get to the pushing stage and then be completely out of energy. It's stupid they don't let you eat.

No advice really as I completely forgot to eat during my labour - I was a bit pre-occupied! Would explain why I felt like passing out after giving birth!! Why on earth would a birthing centre not allow you to eat??!! I did have bottles of Lucozade in the fridge (but again, forgot to drink them), so perhaps have some energy drinks with you too? Here's a useful link for you. https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/labour/eatinganddrinking/ x

Why on earth would a birthing centre not allow you to eat??!!

Well, in case you need a c-section, the anesthesia can make you vomit while unconscious. But my book said that you can vomit even when your stomach is empty and all the acid in your stomach is more dangerous to get in your lungs then food because it can burn your lungs.

I was pretty surprised when I found out I couldn't eat. They are very progressive in all their other practices. I'm very pleased with them, besides the eating thing.

Thanks for the link. I'm in the US and I've never heard of lucozade, but I'll google it and I'm sure I can find something similar here!

nice cold lucozade!!!!!!!!

also look up foods that people like athletes eat or what people eat before they run marathons etc

i think carbs like brown pasta etc are pretty good too

not things like sweets as the energy will last a lot shorter time and then you will feel more tired faster!

Hi

women here are generally encouraged to eat during labour and I haven't heard of any cases of women choking during a c-section with a general anaesthetic (which is a very rare occurance now anyway). Still if you're looking for foods you can sneak in, look for things like protein bars, healthy cereal bars (organic, wholemeal ones with less sugar), energy drinks etc. Lucozade is an energy drink based on glucose-fructose syrup; I know over in the US many drinks are based on this but over here most soft drinks contain plain old sugar so the glucose thing is a major selling point...

Soph

Bits of fruit, cereal bars, pasta salads, sandwiches xx

Hi

women here are generally encouraged to eat during labour and I haven't heard of any cases of women choking during a c-section with a general anaesthetic (which is a very rare occurance now anyway). Still if you're looking for foods you can sneak in, look for things like protein bars, healthy cereal bars (organic, wholemeal ones with less sugar), energy drinks etc. Lucozade is an energy drink based on glucose-fructose syrup; I know over in the US many drinks are based on this but over here most soft drinks contain plain old sugar so the glucose thing is a major selling point...

Soph

Well, we don't need to sneak them IN. They don't go through our bags or anything, and we're supposed to bring stuff if DH wants something to eat. I'll just have to sneak eat it. I do think it's so dumb that they don't allow a woman in labor to eat! What if I'm in labor for 20 hours? How on earth would I have energy to push? Ridiculous.

Wait to go in as long as you can--so you can eat whatever you like at home.

With my daughter I was so thirsty, and having a mad craving for ginger ale or sprite. All they would let me have was ice chips. After hours of begging, a really kind nurse sneaked me some apple juice and even that small amount helped a ton.

You will want things that are light though and easily digestible, especially carbs, juices, sports drinks, etc. You don't want anything that's going to give you reflux.

I did not get nauseated during transition, but I got very nauseated right after the births. The hospital where I had my son they insisted I eat immediately after he was born. I told them I would throw it up--they insisted, so I ate and then promptly barfed it all back up. Then they acted surprised....really it all makes no sense. Women should be allowed to listen to their bodies and do what they feel instinctively is best.

I packed some food for the birth (nut bar and turkey sandwich) but did not end up being hungry at all - I did really appreciate that we had brought some sports drinks for my DH and they diluted some with water for me to drink.

I had half a flapjack/cereal bar as I had not been eating all day...I swear it made things happen!

My midwife has told me to snack at least every 3 hours while in labour on fruit, granola bars, yoghurt etc. Also to remember to drink as you don't want to be dehydrated. She even told my dh to make sure I eat and drink because I might not feel like it/forget to and that it's important to do.

Great post. I was thinking about snack bars, definitly gateroade, water, and maybe fruit like watermelon or grapes.

ive just started thinking about this too! my labour food stash currently contains lucazade.... lol thats about it oops!

They don't let you eat? That's nuts! Whatever is their reason? And how do they expect you to perform this challenge that is apparently the equivalent of running a marathon?

I'm having a home-birth (all being well) and I've got Lucozade 'body fuel' tablets, Lucozade drink, a variety of interesting cereal bars, slim fast shakes (for a meal in a drink, not to use as a dieting tool)... Chocolate would also be a good thing and bananas are great energy givers. I've also got two cartons of Mars Refuel drink (yummy, any excuse). Oh and I've made a load of ice cubes, along with ice cubes made from Orange Lucozade...

Well, in case you need a c-section, the anesthesia can make you vomit while unconscious. But my book said that you can vomit even when your stomach is empty and all the acid in your stomach is more dangerous to get in your lungs then food because it can burn your lungs.

I was pretty surprised when I found out I couldn't eat. They are very progressive in all their other practices. I'm very pleased with them, besides the eating thing.

Thanks for the link. I'm in the US and I've never heard of lucozade, but I'll google it and I'm sure I can find something similar here!

I've read the book and that bit too (brilliant book!) and seeing as most people who have c-sections have a spinal block epidural and are conscious during the operation its a lot of crap, surely you're more likely to end up having a c-section if you're utterly exhausted through not having eaten anything?

(ps: Lucozade is an energy drink here in the UK, it doesn't contain very much caffeine though so is good. You have Gatorade there don't you, perhaps get some of that?)

I've read the book and that bit too (brilliant book!) and seeing as most people who have c-sections have a spinal block epidural and are conscious during the operation its a lot of crap, surely you're more likely to end up having a c-section if you're utterly exhausted through not having eaten anything?

(ps: Lucozade is an energy drink here in the UK, it doesn't contain very much caffeine though so is good. You have Gatorade there don't you, perhaps get some of that?)

Yep, that's a good idea. DH can pretend like he's drinking it and sneak me some drinks.

If you have a local British shop of any kind, even a British butcher, they should have Lucozade. I live in Canada, but any time I was sick my mum would go to the British shop and get it for me.

If you have a local British shop of any kind, even a British butcher, they should have Lucozade. I live in Canada, but any time I was sick my mum would go to the British shop and get it for me.

lucazade is the best when your sick!!! my mum used to always bring it too me too!

We probably do somewhere, but I'm sure it'd expensive here. I'm sure gatorade will be ok. Thanks!

I had a natural birth. I had eggs on toast when I was in the first stage, but once I got to the hospital I couldn't stomach any food. I drank gatorade as long as I could, but once I got to transition, I couldn't even drink gatorade (I switched to water). The only thing I had was honey sticks, plastic straws full of liquid honey. They were great for quick energy, and were easy enough to eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->