Good high energy snacks for during labor?

We have limited natural energy so it is our duty to protect it and this is why we are here to discuss about saving energy, Thanks for reading it I hope you all will think about it...

Kfarb- you might be suprised to find out that you may not even think about food while in labor. They don't let you eat for 2 reasons.....the first incase of an emergency csection and the 2nd is because when you are in the transition stage you are more likely to throw up because the blood flow to your stomach has been diverted to other parts of your body to help with the work. Anything in your stomach during transition is likely to come up. You'd be suprised how well built our bodies are for delivery. I haven't eaten during any of my labors because of the excitement and sheer loss of appetite. All of my labors started in the wee hours of the morning (so I hadn't eaten since dinner) and I gave birth in the afternoon for all of them. I had more than enough energy to get through my labors without food in almost 24 hours.

i'm taking some cold lucozade to sip and perk me up and probably some raisins/nuts or whatever takes my fancy. i think it's ok to eat in the early stages but once i'm in proper labour i don't think i'll need to! xxx

I can't really remember what I took in with me last time - I do remember I bought some hydrating drinks and some barley sugars but never ended up having any of them!

Hey!

I would bet anything with a good balance of healthy (whole grain) carbs and protiens during the first stage of labor would be great. Just make sure it is a snack sized portion because you don't want a heavy meal since your body will soon be diverting it's energy and even blood supply to help delivery that baby. That doesn't mean that if you start labor right after a mean that you are in trouble. It just means you may have food sitting there a while and you could have a greater chance of throwing up during labor. It is not the end of the world!

My midwife recommends any juice during labor (but more importantly after a difficult labor), but especially likes orange juice for some reason. Pineapple and apple juice work fine,too. She also will give me saltine crackers with honey on them if I need some quick energy.

MOSTLY she will give me just pain water and make sure I am drinking plenty of it. If you feel low in energy, then by all means use something to get you the strength you need to keep going. Both you AND baby will need it!

Blessings,
Kim
mom of 9

Our midwifery matron suggests flapjacks and uncarbonated sports drinks :)

I am going to step in and say that I think its important to eat while in labor! I had a hospital birth with my first child and I was in labor for 23 hours and was not allowed to eat! I went in because I suspected my waters were leaking (tests confirmed I was), not really in true labor...so they induced me (even though my water broke while at the hospital and contractions were intensing on their own). I was so weak, after about 12 hours I had my hubby sneak me a candy bar from a vending machine. Not the best choice I know, but I would have eaten anything. I was so weak when it came to pushing, and eating ice chips for 24 hours was torture...one of the main reasons why I really want to do a home birth my next child.

Just to keep the thread alive - because I think its important.

I had an antenatal class last week (on breastfeeding) and the midwife couldnt help going off topic to stress how important it was (especially for 1st timers) to make sure we ate for as long as we could during labour. Especially complex carbohydrates - porridge especially - but to stay away from sugary things because the energy doesnt last long whereas complex carbs last longer. She said not eating will prolong labour especially the pushing stage because you are too damn exhuasted to get the baby out quickly. She compared it to turning up for a marathon having had half a mars bar and expecting to be able to run 26 miles on it.

Obviously its most beneficial in long labours but for us first timers we have no idea how long its going to last so im intending to eat my porridge like a good girl as soon as I hit the latent stage.

Mizze xx

Thanks for that hon :thumbup: I'm off for my latent walk to the shop and back, so will defo grab some porridge x

No problem!

Just talked to my own midwife about it and she too said to eat and drink for as long as you can (obviously there comes a point when you cant) so many women apparently get dehydrated as well as hungry during labour.

Im thinking on checking out the best health bars as well as the porridge. Things like slim fast could well be good - easy to get nutrients in to you without over loading your tummy. Unsalted mixed nuts are probably a good idea too -good fats and slow released energy and not too heavy.

Mizze xx

When I'm at a point where I can't eat anymore but still need the energy I intend to munch on almonds and drink Lucozade sports drink. It's what I do for running so I assume it should work for labour hahahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->