got bad news yesterday...gestational diabetes.

anawhatsme

Reaction score
i'm so upset.
i didn't see it coming.
i figured it would be fine.
i'm overweight and have horrible eating habits, so i guess i should have seen it coming.
my gynecoloigst said if i don't take action now, it could be come full blown diabetes after the baby is born.
ugh i have to research this but i'm scared of what i might read.
is anyone here dealing with gestational diabetes?
please someone tell me it's not so bad.
i was told it can cause a higher birthweight baby and i could potentially hand off diabetic tendencies to the baby.
i don't see a dietician until december 31st, so until then i guess i have to figure it out for myself.
i know this may sound selfish but it's going to be hard to get through christmas with no sugar.
and i love sprite, i miss it a lot!
i can't do diet sprite because of aspartame, so i'm really just left with water.
grrr...i'm so mad at me for being over indulgent.

awww hun no advice 4 you really although i know there are quite a few ladies on here who have gd, good luck xxx

I think there is a forum which has advice etc on gtt on here Hun x

no advice here, just wanted to send :hugs: your way

Have a look in the pregnancy complications sub-forum--there's a number of threads and lots of ladies successfully dealing with gd. I have no direct experience but please don't beat yourself up about it. I've seen ladies who are not overweight, exercise regularly and have great diets that have gotten it as well. :hugs:

So sorry hun! I was downright depressed for two days when I got diagnosed. I'm 25, never been overweight and have decent eating habits - anyone can get it,so don't blame yourself!

It took a while for me to get the hang of how to eat, but now it's easy! I don't have to eat special meals and I still eat out t restaurants. I was upset about a sugar-free Christmas too, but I'm managing! For example, I can still enjoy a turkey dinner, I just have to have only very small amounts of bread and mashed potatoes. There are allowable deserts out there too, even if you don't like/want sugar substitutes. My dietitian suggested dark chocolate covered strawberries which taste very indulgent and have been fine for my blood sugar. You'll learn what works for yours.

As for a big baby, that's only if you don't control your blood sugar. If you eat how you're told to, you'll be fine. In fact, the three local moms I know who had GD had small babies! (6-7lbs!). It's uncontrolled GD that can cause big babies. They monitor me closely and so far there's been no worry of a giant baby for me.

The worst news however is that you and the baby ARE now at higher risk for diabetes in the future. For me that just means losing the baby weight right away (which isn't a bad idea anyways) and making sure my baby boy eats well as a baby/child too. Trying to stay a normal weight is the best fight against future diabetes.

firstly it is not your fault - eating sugar etc does not cause gesatational diabetes, or any other kind for that matter - gestational diabetes is when the placenta and hormones interfere with insulin production and this is not your fault

i got diagnosed on wednesday, am up to the hosp on tuesday, but i am lucky in a way that dh has type 2 so i alrady know what to eat etc

i would have a look around some diabetes sites for eating advice for now

i have not had a bite of chocolate since i was told on wed morning and i have to admit i am really missing it :(

i drink a lot of water anyway, but i did drink some fat coke and ribena as well :(

I am supposed to have my blood tests monday if i can get in with the snow i PCOS and previous glucose tests have said i am borderline diabetic so there is a good chance i am going to have this complication.

My only problem is that because of the morning sickness i have not been eating very well or very much up to the last 3 weeks.

I suppose like you will just have to cope if it comes up :)

I hope things work out for you :)

Take care

Loopy

I got diagnosed with this too, and other than having to go the hosptal a lot and taking my blood 4 times a day, it's really not too bad! Don't feel bad that you have it, most women that I've seen are quite slim, so don't blame yourself. Once you get into the swing of things it's quite easy to manage. I can still have a big fat chinese meal, and my blood is fine. Just tried it with a curry but havent tested yet :hehe:

As long as it's kept under control, I promise it's not too bad. You may have to have growth scans but that's a positive because you get to see bubs more! :happydance: xxx

Oh, also the dietician told me that you can have vanilla ice cream which is good! I've also bought some stuffs from the Tesco's "Free From" range (yummy cookies) and these have been fine too :thumbup: xxx

I was diagnosed with this 5 weeks ago. I have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day (fasting, and 1 hr after each meal). I have a huge sweet tooth so I was really bummed. At first it was really hard for me. Meeting with a dietician helps a lot. The first couple weeks is just counting carbs at each meal and finding out what your body can handle and can't handle. There are some rules you have to follow. You can't usually eat much carbs in the mornings because you body has a high insulin resistance because you haven't eaten for the night. Drinking sugary drinks are really bad. Things like juice and soda. 1/2 cup is 1 carb serving and usually I can only have 2 carb servings a meal. So I cut out those completely. Eating small meals and 3 snacks is the key to keep my blood sugar leveled. There are days when my sugar is off the charts even when I haven't had many carbs. As your baby grows, there will be more hormones blocking your body from using insulin. I think I'm at that border. I might have to have insulin injections soon because I can't cut out any more carbs. Definately get a device and start testing your sugars after meals.

I had GD with my DS, controlled it easily with diet (no choc over Christmas was a bit of a bummer though) and he was 6lb 13 oz. I was underweight when I got pg that time so don't beat yourself up. Have been tested twice already this time, first ok, 2nd, borderline another test 29.12.

Good luck x

you guys are so great.
your support and kindness always touches me.
thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your experiences.
i see the dietician this thursday and i'm so nervous.
this really is a wake up call.

there are lots of threads on gd have a look youll see its not so bad, and u can have diet soda once in a while or drink stuff with splenda.
i had gd with my first, and had a very normal birthweight just was induced cos of the gd and being over 40 wks. due to go for my test soon for this time. really wasnt so bad, you just gotta get the diet under control, its not just sugar , you must watch carbs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->