Got called "stupid" today...

Unfortunately there aren't standard policies across the U.S. and so a lot of hospitals or even entire areas can be behind. The area I live in is about 20 years behind when it comes to labor & birth. I did find out there is a hospital nearby with tubs to labor in but it's too complicated to change now especially as I've already discussed my birth plan in depth with my current OB, showed him that I've done real research, and he's okay with it. A lot of the stuff is out of the norm here and I don't even want to try to fight with another doctor.

Anyway, one good thing about my particular hospital anyway, is they only take the baby from the room once, as long as everything is fine. The state requires that they take a picture so they take the baby to the nursery for that. The nurse that led our hospital tour said that after the birth, as long as everything is normal, they give you an hour alone with baby for skin-to-skin, try to initiate breastfeeding, etc. Then they come in and all the weighing and any other newborn procedures are done right there in the room. She told us that they encourage mothers to keep their babies in the room as they need to be prepared when they go home. Also, they strongly encourage breastfeeding. IF you request for your baby to be taken to the nursery, they will take it, but she said that's not very common.

I hate how behind my area seems to be but I'm so glad that they have a progressive policy regarding the nursery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->