Got to go into hospital for operation but EBF - expressing and bottle?

bebbe

Reaction score
Help!

I need some advice please!

As the title says I have to go into hospital to have an operation to remove a lump in my neck. They want to do it as soon as possible and we agreed from when my LO is 4 weeks old would be best. She is 4 weeks old today so as soon as they find me a space I will be in. It could be next week or it could be a couple of weeks but either way, not long.

So my dilemma, I am EBF and it's going really well but I am to be admitted to a ward where I am not allowed to take my baby so will be away from her overnight at least. I have bought some tommee tippee bottles and I have a pump, in order for my DH to feed her while I am in hospital. But I am reluctant to try out the bottles too soon as I don't want to confuse her (is that even possible?) and I don't want to leave it too late and risk her not taking it at all?

I plan on starting to express tonight, and will be freezing a supply. But when would you do a practice run with a bottle?

You might not be able to give expressed milk if you'll be on strong painkillers during and after the operation. You may have to express to keep up supply and dump it. Ask your doctor. Do you have a freezer stash you can feed baby with? If not, try donor milk before resorting to formula.

I have had 2 operations while breastfeeding... I pumped up a stash and fed her from that and anything I pumped after my surgeries I dumped. I was on pain killers that were "safe" for breastfeeding but I just didn't feel safe. She didn't get nipple confusion and she went right back to her boobie when it was time. I will say she only drank just enough to take the edge off of her hunger from the bottle so we were feeding her way more often.. but it was smaller amounts.

Thank you! I've been offered breast feeding safe painkillers but I plan on dumping my milk for a few days hence starting to build up a freezer supply now. Good to know about the confusion too, I've been worried about that.

I was breastfeeding my son and at 3 weeks I had to go in to the hospital and have an operation. he wasn't allowed up in the surgical ward. yMy surgery was an emergency but I had already started a freezer stash. Because of some medication I was on my son had to have bottles for 5 days. I pumped and dumped but luckily had enough milk stored so he didn't have to have formula. He went back to breastfeeding after the 6th day and he did fine. when he was in the NICU, a nurse said that she has really rarely seen nipple confusion if that makes you feel better.
I'm sorry you have to have surgery when your little one is so young. I know how you feel but hang in there because it will be fine. my son is 11 weeks old now and he's doing great exclusively breastfeeding. he had no problems switching back from bottles. I hope your surgery goes well good luck to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->