government relaxing ratios in nurseries....

lilmissdanni

Reaction score
The new ratios that they want to bring in are

1:4 under 2's
1:6 2-3's
and 1:10 pre school

I am disgusted. As a baby room nursery nurse. I think 1:4 is far too much...I made a decision a few weeks ago about going back to work instead of being a sahm....I've now changed my mind

What do u all think of this? X

It's not something I like the sound of at all. I can't actually remember what my daughters group size is but I think it's big enough. There's no way 1 person can give 10 children enough of their attention.

Having said that, once they get to school it's 30 children to 1 teacher and if you're lucky enough you get a TA too.

Its too much - i think there is little staff already. I am in a situation where our DD! has 1:1 care in the nursery while the rest are at a bigger ratio, so I'm thankful!

There's a petition here to leave the early years ratios alone: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...-education-leave-our-early-years-ratios-alone.

I volunteer in our church nursery and it's usually 1:2, and that's enough to keep me busy for 1.5 hours, lol.

1:4, I can't imagine. Clearly someone who has no experience with small children and babies came up with this brilliant idea.

I don't think it will cut the cost at all tho the ratio at the moment is
One and under 1:3
2-3 1:4
3+ 1:8 or 1-13 if their is a qualified teacher

The new ratio will only be allowed if the carers are more qualified so surly the more qualified they are the higher the wages will be so don't understand how this will cut the costs

The new ratios will be
One and under 1:4
2-3 1:6
3+ will stay the same

My nursery ratio which is one of the most expensive in my area is
One and under 1:2
2-3 1:3
3+ 1:5

They need to do something about the cost of childcare but like A pp stated this is only going to allow the more well off to pay for quality of smaller ratios

The expectation that a nursery/childminder take on additional children whilst simultaneously reducing cost is just impossible, there is also little thought given to the children involved.

I have worked in a nursery in baby room, and we had a floater as well who could help out, that was with a 1:3 ratio, don't like the sound of 1:4 with the under 2s at all. plus if its not making the cost less for parents/carers why do it????

xxxxx

Ps have just signed the petition :) xxxx

My dad a manager of a nursery and has been for years, and he was shocked...it completly the wrong way to go about it all. They say they want to copy the dutch and french system of having fewer but higher trained staff...but tbh no matter if u have a masters in child care 6 toddles is impossible.

I was listening to the interview with the education minister and she couldnt answer any questions....i mean how will help to provide cheaper and better childcare for working families.

Yes i agree staff need to be better trained but by no way shud there be less of them.

im bliddy raging. bn a nursery nurse for 13 yrs and have left to be a sahm. thank god. that is not quality childcare. im sick of people "up there" looking down on us as underpaid babysitters. we r not. we r professionals doing a friggen hard job, often related with child protection. the paperwork is beyond ridiculous and the responsibility massive. id rather pay over the odds than then less thinking my child was left in the hands of a stressed out nursery nurse.

shocking totally shocking.

I am in south africa
And my son's first creche was babies 12:2 but upto 16:2 and the the class before potty training was 22:3

Where he is now is a class of 10 mix babies and pre potty training to 2 care givers

So you guys really can't complain too much

This is pretty standard here as is potty training at 18 months

I work in a nursery and I think it's really bad. They argue that better qualified staff can have higher staff to child ratios and they'll be better paid but i'm very skeptical about the latter to be honest. Also i'm a graduate but I don't for one second think that makes me more capable of having, say, 4 rather than 3 babies than someone who didn't go to uni but is equally or more experienced than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->