Green stool with mucus??

luckyme225

Reaction score
My little guy is three weeks old and for the past four days his poop has become green with mucus in it and it's getting progressively worse. Today it seemed like a full on mucus mess. Can this be normal for a breastfed baby or does it mean something is going on? I haven't eaten anything new that I can think of. Thanks for any insight.

The green sounds like it could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Too much foremilk can cause the green poo so try to make sure your lo has emptied one side before you switch over to the other side. You can try block feeding where you only feed from one side for a couple hours and then switch to the other side for a couple hours, etc. As far as the mucous goes, the likely problem is a milk protein intolerance. My dd had this. I would cut out all dairy, including looking for whey and casein on the ingredients list. It can take a couple weeks for it to be completely out of your system and then another week to be out of your son's system, though you'll probably see some improvement within a week if this is the cause. Most milk protein intolerances are outgrown by the time the baby turns one. Ours was outgrown by five months. Good luck and congrats on your new baby boy.

It could also be a virus. At that age they spend so much time on their back you don't notice a runny nose as it all runs backwards down their throat.

Little Man was like this for 5 months until we discovered he has a dairy & soya allergy, but he did also have other problems linked too it like very bad eczema & lots of tummy cramps

https://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2010/11/green-nappies-what-do-they-mean-when.html is a fantastic explanation

Thanks everyone. LO only gets one breast per feed because I had a oversupply and overactive let down. My supply seems to have stabilized this way but I still have the overactive let down. I've cut out dairy in the mean time to see if it's one of the issues. He has bad stomach pains and only sleeps about a hour at a time at night because his stomach issues.

https://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2010/11/green-nappies-what-do-they-mean-when.html is a fantastic explanation

Thankyou so much for this article. I've been worrying myself stupid over the green poo my LO was producing (seems to have calmed down over today and gone yellow again) The HV said it may be something I've eaten (she mentioned citrus and I have been eating 4 or more satsumas a day!) or just because LO is being a piggy as I have a very fast let down. She's gained plenty of weight and so she basically said not to worry. Having read this article its reassured me a bit that my situation is most likely over supply. I have noticed that since the yellow poo has returned today my supply has calmed down, so we'll see. Sorry for post crashing, but I wanted to say thanks for the article!:thumbup:

Thanks for the link share :D

My supply seems to have stabilized this way but I still have the overactive let down.
Hi, this is interesting, what leads you to feel you still have the fast letdown now supply is stable? Is baby gaining weight well, milk drunk after feeds etc?

AA

Thanks everyone. LO only gets one breast per feed because I had a oversupply and overactive let down. My supply seems to have stabilized this way but I still have the overactive let down. I've cut out dairy in the mean time to see if it's one of the issues. He has bad stomach pains and only sleeps about a hour at a time at night because his stomach issues.

Hunny that sounds EXACTLY like little man! he would wake every 1.5 - 2 hours because of tummy cramps

You will be surprised what they put dairy in (even some brands of ketchup!) but if it is that it is worth it! Just remember it can take 3 - 4 weeks before you see a difference in baby as the build up of dairy needs too get out of your system and them out of baby's, if you need some support, feel free too PM :hugs:

Thanks for the link share :D

My supply seems to have stabilized this way but I still have the overactive let down.
Hi, this is interesting, what leads you to feel you still have the fast letdown now supply is stable? Is baby gaining weight well, milk drunk after feeds etc?

AA

My let down is immediate, or even before getting put on the breast. I can feel my let down and get multiple let downs per feeding (3 in a 10 minute span). My milk shoots pretty far and fast causing baby to choke whenever I let down, I normally use a burp rag until it settles then put him back on. He's gaining well and normally seems to be sleepy after eating.

Hunny that sounds EXACTLY like little man! he would wake every 1.5 - 2 hours because of tummy cramps

You will be surprised what they put dairy in (even some brands of ketchup!) but if it is that it is worth it! Just remember it can take 3 - 4 weeks before you see a difference in baby as the build up of dairy needs too get out of your system and them out of baby's, if you need some support, feel free too PM :hugs:

Thanks for the support. It's been interesting trying to grocery shop when I have to read all the labels for hidden milk protiens. I plan on sticking to it for at least 3 weeks to see if it helps. I feel so bad for my little guy so if it could potentially help I'm willing to do it. Plus I'm sure baby would be happier if he didn't wake every hour in pain.

this happened to my LO and it was because he wasn't latched on properly so wasn't getting hind milk. when i improved the latch the colour of poo changed within a day

I was told that green nappies meant that Babe could be overfeeding, which was true for me as she wanted boob every half hour and then when I made her wait two hours it went back to a mustard look... Could you be giving too many feeds?

The mucus description doesn't suit what I experienced, B's poo went more lumpy when overfeeding - so it may be something else.

My LO had this for 3 months before we realized he had an issue with dairy. If it isn't a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or virus, definitely look at that. My LO had 6-8 runny green mucousy poos/day that got progressively worse, sometimes had blood in as well - plus eczema . You will know if it dairy pretty quickly - when I quit dairy all his problems resolved in 2 weeks.

I went through this around this time too- I started pumping the when I woke up in the morning and the problem seemed to go away. All mustardy now!

My LO had this for 3 months before we realized he had an issue with dairy. If it isn't a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or virus, definitely look at that. My LO had 6-8 runny green mucousy poos/day that got progressively worse, sometimes had blood in as well - plus eczema . You will know if it dairy pretty quickly - when I quit dairy all his problems resolved in 2 weeks.

We had a similar issue; except when I was having dairy LO was pooing far less than a baby of that age should, but he was gaining weight well so wasn't a lack of hindmilk or anything like that. It was horrible as his stomach was so bloated and hard and he kept straining and crying; when we cut dairy out the poos increased until he was doing 12 huge mustardy ones a day at one point, the nappies were a nightmare; he used 200 in 3 weeks once but hey that must've been the norm for him. Thankfully problems with dairy are usually outgrown by 5-6 months, they were in our case. Even my second eldest who had some of the most severe dairy allergies they'd seen at the hospital; he had eczema and poor weight gain when getting dairy via my milk but by the time he was tested for allergies at about 8 months he had already outgrown reacting to the milk proteins in my milk and his eczema was almost completely cleared and he started gaining weight at twice the average rate for his age xx

*admin edited*

Per forum rules and TOS:

Rudeness, flaming or trolling is not tolerated on, or about, BabyandBump or its members. Conflicting story

The majority of your posts are links to your blog which is not permitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->