Grieving the loss of my milk

too_scared

Finn's mommy <3
Reaction score
I'm nearly 15 weeks pregnant and I'm still nursing my little guy. He's going to be 16 months next week. I had really hoped to let him self wean and was really hoping to tandem bf when the new baby comes.

My milk is dropping drastically, though. I'm so, so sad. I have started giving him a bottle of milk in the evenings now but he's not used to it at all and doesn't really drink much. He's walking every hour at night lately and nursing but still doing the sign for milk (in his sleep/almost asleep state). It's breaking my heart. He's started asking for water at night now.

He still gets a few swallows of milk. And today I noticed he got a little more because I really, really tried to drink a lot of water.

I feel like I did something horrible by getting pregnant. I really wanted babies close together like this but I didn't want to "force" my little guy into weaning.

I literally cry every time I think about this. I'm so sad. :(

I'm actually considering the SNS system to try to keep him nursing until baby comes. :( He loves nursing and would comfort nurse for hours if he was given the choice. I'm hoping that will save this for us.

I'm assuming it's going to be a sad day when he weans anyway, but I really didn't want it this early.

Sorry for sad post. I just had to get it off my chest. Dh doesn't really understand.

I am so sorry your milk is drying somewhat too scared, reading this makes my heart break for you. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I also want my children to be close in age and am NTNP now and going to TTC as soon as I lose a few more pounds. This is my greatest fear right here. DS is also 15 months, so I understand that he really still needs his milk.

I too have thought about using a SNS to give him frozen milk and/or supplements if it ever came down to it. I have a freezer full of milk that I know wouldn't last, but he could have other milk during the day and keep our nursing relationship alive I thought. I'm not pregnant yet, but may be very soon.

I really want siblings close together too.

My mom had me and my sister 2 years apart, and my sister weaned while my mom was pregnant with me. Mom told us something when we were kids about it getting difficult to nurse when she was pregnant, but I don't know if it was that or her milk drying up. She passed a few years ago so we will probably never know.

Thank you for your support. :hugs:

I really hope you get your rainbow soon.

I have no frozen milk to fall back on. It's great that you have that option. :) I failed so hard at pumping.

I'm going through something very similar. :(

I'm only about 7 weeks along, but my 18-month-old DD only gets a few swallows. I can't believe it's drying up so quickly! I have my fingers crossed she holds on until the baby arrives so they can tandem nurse.

I also hope that when my colostrum comes in (between about 20-30 weeks) that she'll like it and that it will help you continue nursing.

I'm sorry your milk is going down so quickly. :(

I really hope your little one keeps comfort nursing until the new one comes. Tandem nursing just seems so nice.

Why have you introduced a bottle at night? I fed my eldest through 2 pregnancies (he weaned when I was about 33 weeks with my third pregnancy, a week after his third birthday and he had gradually cut down his feeds. I still had milk). I just kept offering him feeds and he took them. I'm sure he went through some stages of dry nursing, but it never put him off. Keep hydrated and keep offering. Can you switch back to nursing in the evening?

I still do nurse in the evening. Actually all night long. I only offer a bottle because for a few nights he was really upset about not getting much milk. :( He seems used to it now. He's only ever drank about 2-3 oz of whole milk. He has it as a part of his nighttime snack before bed.

There seems to be a little more milk lately. A few more swallows. I am trying really hard to keep hydrated but with company and always being on the go lately I've slacked some. :( Company is gone for a few days now so I'll catch up.

I was a little worried to notice an increase in milk, thinking something happened to the baby, but I can still feel him/her squiggling around in there. :) It's definitely not colostrum yet because it's still white.

He hardly nurses in the day now. Just to go to sleep for his nap mostly. Occasionally he'll ask at other times but mostly it's just his nap and all night. I don't care as long as he's still nursing. :) I had planned to try to night wean over the summer but I'm not going to do that now.

Are you eating enough? I've started trying to lose weight and I notice on days where I eat less or eat less before I pump I get a lot less. Since your pregnancy is progressing are you sure you are eating enough for three? (well, 2.5, since DS eats solids too). I think your calorie requirements go up in the second trimester. Also, even this established in lactation, I swear oatmeal increases my supply a bit. Have you tried any foods or anything?

That's a good tip. Thank you. I don't know, I'm probably not eating enough. It's been so hot here lately I've been pretty much living off watermelon. Haha! I will have to do better.

I am actually intolerant to oatmeal :( So sad because I love it. I don't really know what else I could try. I'm nervous of drinking herbal teas when pregnant so anything like that isn't possible.

Yeah it might be a good idea to track your food and make sure you are eating enough! I forget sometimes that I am not just eating for me.

You could always check with your doctor or midwife about something to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->