Group of Random Ridiculousness

thanks... it's still a work in progress

https://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/260857003388246959_X2f0nlGq_c.jpg Some Christmas Humor :)

Very nice room bex!!

So, I have a conundrum... and need some "what would you do?" advice... my DH's parents own a second home in Belize. They are thinking of buying a bar/restaraunt on an island and would like us to move down there with them and help run it. DH just has his parents and brother.. and all of them would be moving... my whole family lives up here (my family is HUGE). I love his parents but I'm unsure about the stress of going into business with them, moving to a foreign country and dealing with a baby and leaving my whole family. My husband would also be keeping his job up here, so he would be 3 weeks in Alaska, then 3 weeks in Belize... to me, i feel like I'd be the one sacrificing everything...

sorry to be a whiner.. this is just really stressing me out today for some reason!

Hmmm...

Belize does sound nice.

I guess the first thing I would look at is with a new baby, what is the health system down there.. If it is more thirdworldish... it would be a big no.

Second, when you say "go to business with"... do you mean that you will be expected to become a partner...and share in the liability of the company, or would you be hired as the operating manager? I would clarify expectations and get something in writing that would exclude you from liability should the restaurant do bad. Also, make sure they show you financials and that it is viable, so you don't waste time/money moving down there and find out it is a bust.

Another thing.. with your DH being a sloper, I know he has to pay for his own tickets from Anchorage - Belize... how much additional is that going to cost you, and will DH's family pick up the tab for that?

I dunno.. first reaction is HECK YA.. ITS BELIZE! But realistically, I probably would say no, but that I would be willing to take elongated vacations and help out with the bar when I was there.

556723_10151192260267183_940280272_n.jpg

They would want us to come on as partners. I know nothing of their healthcare or school system, which makes me very wary. Plus we know we want more than one kiddo, I certainly do NOT want to give birth there.

It is financially viable, we've already seen the paperwork on that. We would have to pay for the tickets from Anch- Belize and back ourselves... the cost of living down there is much cheaper, but that would still be between 1k to 2k per round trip ticket (depending on time of year etc, it varies). That's not including any supplementation of airline miles etc.

I'm more inclined to go down in summers for a few months, help work it etc... I just really don't want to commit to a full blown move. I also am not sure I want to commit to a partnership in a bar/restaruant... i have NO idea what that's like. I've only ever worked in the medical field.

Yeah, I wouldn't do it... and You should go down in the winter for a couple months.. not the summer.. No one wants to leave an Alaskan summer!!!

It sounds nice if you guys were both 40 or 50... had no children under 18... and were in retirement/mid life crisis mode.

Agreed... winter would me much better than summer... I was thinking more of when kiddo was school age I guess.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me babble.. sometimes one needs outside confirmation of its not just me thinking "ehhhhhh,,, not so great idea"

I am the same way. It is a big decision, and especially since your DH is still doing 3wks on.. you would be stuck in Belize where you only know your ILs for 3 weeks. I would rather be stuck with my family and friends

Stelly, what a crazy decision to have to make. I would be reluctant to commit to a full blown move too...and flying up and down every three weeks sounds just crazy. That is a LOT of time. Other than that I think Michelle gave you good advice...

https://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Your-Ecards_2.jpg

https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310556523267/Boredom-feature-007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->