Growing your hair

Pearls18

Reaction score
Sorry it's me again, I appreciate this part of the website so much as it's like having hundreds of sisters lol!!

How often should I get my hair trimmed to keep it healthy when trying to grow it long, I have been trying to grow it for years but I get split ends so easily (I have fine hair) that when I finally get around to having it trimmed it needs cutting off again, I think I've only managed to grow it about 4 inches in 4 years!

The best tip? Infrequent washing or conditioner only washing and minimal heat styling. It's the best thing you can do to prevent the split ends and damage, and go longer between cuts.
I am one for washing my hair daily and blow drying /straightening, it's proving a hard habit to crack but I've managed to leave 2-3 days between each day this week. I know this might be hard with fine hair, but play around with styles and dry shampoo if you feel it looks ickky quickly.

What she said ^ however i'd get your hair cut every 6-8 weeks as it will keep the split ends at bay! You'll only need around 1cm each visit if you do, so you wont even notice the length gone, but it'll be nice and healthy. Also, try and do a treatment once a week.

In about 4 years I've grown mine from a bob down to my bum!

I wash it and condition the ends every 2-3 days, brush it properly in the morning and before bed, keep it tangle free with a tangle teezer, try to sleep with it in a plait most nights and avoid blow drying if I have the time to leave it.

I blow dry maybe once a month, wash twice to three a week, use a natural bristle brush. I don't straighten and I didn't colour it for over 3 years.
I only shampoo the roots and I didn't get it cut for ages but I have started fresh with 3 inches off the bottom and regular trims of a tiny amount now I'm getting it highlighted and it had grown from chin length to under my boobs in 2 years.
I'm lucky though as I've had nearly an inch growth in 5 weeks.
I only comb when wet not brush and plait at night.
Use non snagging hair bands.
Take vitamins.
Xx

I wash mine daily and then condition every few weeks usually. I cut maybe 4 or 5 inches off about once a year, but I've heard that trimming will help it grow? I'm not sure if that's a fact. I have very straight blond hair. It must be working because when I do go to a hairdresser they always seem amazed at my hair and lack of damage.

Oh and I do air dry it. I just don't like blow drying much.

I use coconut oil on the ends to avoid split ends, but no matter how I try it doesn't grow that long, I go for trim every 2 months. I cut it to shoulder length 2 yrs back, now it reaches the upper side of my bra when it's straightened. I have wavy fine hair. I wash it 3 times a week only, it is not greasy, I blow dry it without brushing on medium heat & is straighten the fringe with the brush.

Honestly? The best thing I did was get extensions lol.

I tried to grow my hair for years without success, Jamie proposed and I was adamant I was having the long hair I'd always wanted!

I had micro bead extensions and my hair grew from chin-bob length to shoulder length in 6 months. Far from damaging my hair it gave my hair a much needed rest from frequent washing, blow drying and straightening, because I was styling the extension hair rather than my own hair, it was much healthier!

Xx

Years and years ago I had my hair all cut off to bob length, hated it and tried to grow it for years.. it's only the past two years my hairs grown from shoulder length to past my bra strap at the back and thats from basically doing nothing with my hair :lol: I rarely use heat on it anymore, I used to brush my hair all the time, now I do once before bed and I use a tangle teezer which is great for not damaging or breaking your hair, I wash my hair as little as possible just twice a week if I can get away with it with the help of dry shampoo, I use a oil on the ends of my hair every time I wash it when I get out the shower and use conditioning treatments regularly.

I haven't had a haircut since literally this time last year, oops. But my hair is really long at the mo - the day I stopped straightening it it just suddenly grew and I had been trying to grow it for years!

Multivitamins worked for me and using natural hair care products. I've also heard many good things about hairfinity.

In the last six years i've had cropped hair that i've grown out to nearly elbow length twice. I don't blow dry or straighten my hair, i always let it dry naturally. I wash every other day with shampoo and conditioner and that's literally it at the moment and my hair is very healthy. Heat is so bad for hair!

How the bloody hell do I grow mine if I HAVE to dry it every other day and straighten everyday?! Am I doomed forever? (Sorry OP!)

*sending long hair dust* :lol:

xxx

How the bloody hell do I grow mine if I HAVE to dry it every other day and straighten everyday?! Am I doomed forever? (Sorry OP!)

*sending long hair dust* :lol:

xxx

I was wondering this too - think I'm doomed! There is no way I can go without straightening it, it is so frizzy and awful otherwise - I'd never leave the house! I do use a leave in conditioner and heat protect spray though :shrug:

Honestly? The best thing I did was get extensions lol.

I tried to grow my hair for years without success, Jamie proposed and I was adamant I was having the long hair I'd always wanted!

I had micro bead extensions and my hair grew from chin-bob length to shoulder length in 6 months. Far from damaging my hair it gave my hair a much needed rest from frequent washing, blow drying and straightening, because I was styling the extension hair rather than my own hair, it was much healthier!

Xx

Im getting hair extensions for the first time having them fitted in 4 weeks. I enquired about getting them about 4/5 months ago as i knew it was going to be difficult getting the hair to match mine. Sure enough this lady has done it and its going to be her biggest challenge in 9 years so shes very excited. My hair is natrally tight curls very spirally and its hard to get hold of hair thats like that. I am getting them fitted for my wedding which is in 6 weeks. Although my hair grows it only gets to a certain lenght the stop just above my shoulders. Im so nervous about the fitting and the maintance of them but looking forward to having nice long hair:happydance: Did you have yours removed after 3 months to give your natural hair a break for a few weeks?

Hair extensions are great in the short term but they do cause pressure on the root so you can experience breakage and loss in the long run. It's worth thinking about if you want to discontinue extensions at some point and grow your own hair.

Honestly I find it hard to go without straighteners. I have found to make a straightening session last longer is to use a keratin treatment like Tresemmes cream. Other days where it's looking rough I'll tie it up or braid it. I'm quite new to giving up the heat styling everyday, it's tough but I know it's worth it. I already colour it (bleach and pink) so I'm already making hair growth harder, so I need to make a sacrifice somewhere

My hair is much longer now I barely use heat. I wash every 2nd day and use the hairdryer maybe once a week and the straighteners once a fortnight x

My hair is much longer now I barely use heat. I wash every 2nd day and use the hairdryer maybe once a week and the straighteners once a fortnight x

This is what I do but Ive stopped using hair straighteners. Only if I am going somewhere nice.

The best thing I've bought for my hair is a decent hairbrush with bristles to spread the natural oils that your scalp produces. I use a Kent brush that cost me about £10. It's so much softer now and doesn't get greasy so quickly.

Also, my old hairdresser swore by Redken 'Extreme' Anti-snap leave in conditioner. I always forget to use it though :blush:

I had the shampoo and conditioner of that and it made my hair awful :dohh:

Backwards! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"