growth scan

donatwink86

Reaction score
Hi, im new on hereso hoping this is the right way to post
I am expecting my 2nd child 4th nov, I had some complications during first labour as she was a big baby, so I went to see my consultant wed to see what they suggest for labour I told them my concerns and wanted to know rough weight baby will be to put my mind at rest so they gave me a scan consultant wasnt concerned andsaid babyroughly 6 lbs nowandfull term looking bout 8lbs andthat was it i have had a letter today with a growth scan date ???? Im not sure why I need this as everything seemed fine at my appt im now worried????
Any ideas??

Try not to worry too much. I think it depends on the area you live in but here in Cornwall if you've had previous growth scans they will keep an eye on you and do a final one at 36-37 weeks just to be sure everything is fine. Is your fundal height measuring ok? Sometimes your midwife will automatically refer for an additional growth scan if fundal height is measuring ahead.

Think of it as a positive, you get to see baby again! :thumbup:

Hi thanks for your reply no one has mentioned any concerns about weight or size I just got this letter out of the blue so bit confused, ive not had any other growth scans apart from last week when I told consultant my concerns but she said everything fine and that was that and she wished me good luck !!
I know its nice I get to see him again :) but cant help but worry x

Oh I know the feeling, it can be really worrying to get something out of the blue!

If in doubt, ask at your next midwife appt x

Im going to ring my midwife and my consultant first thing mon morn lol its the waiting that cant deal with :( x

Hope you don't mind me asking but what are you under the care of the consultant for? Have you looked in your notes at the consultants last entry to see if any mention of it is in there?

It might just be routine to schedule a followup growth scan if you already had one.

What is a bit confusing is if the baby is 6 pounds now and full term (assuming 37 weeks) how are they expecting an 8 pound baby since, as far as I know, they aren't supposed to grow 2 pounds over the last 3 weeks. It was supposed to be half a pound a week from 31-37 and then the growth spurt stops and its only 3-4 more oz before birth.

Im under a consultant due to complications during labour of my daughter so have to see consultant to see if they recommend c section or normal birth but agreed normal birth best option for now aslong as no complications arise during labour.
Yes I was thinkin that maybe bz i had growth scan wed that its just a routine follow up consultant did mention im measuring below average but nothing to worry a out and I was sent home ive tried looking through my notes but cantsee anything if she had told me I would be having anova scan I wouldnt be as concerned just with the letter arriving and not knowing anything about it as for her saying looking at 8lbs im not sure were thats come from as she hasbooked me in for sweep on 28th oct but how is this poss if they concerned about weight it wasnt my usual consultant I seen ???? Xx

I would also assume it's just a follow-up scan, but have always been told that babies gain 1/2 lb weekly during the last few weeks. That makes 8 lbs sound about right to me :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->