Grrrr

squizzlew

Reaction score
I just feel like having a bit of a rant had my first appointment with midwife and all was going fine until she insisted I needed weighed and she calculated my bmi which puts me at obese so then I get a massive lecture about how dangerous it is to be so fat and pregnant and how much more at risk the baby is and she gave me leaflets about being obese and told me that I will have to do the full glucose test because of the weight I am. All this would be fine and I would understand but one of the women telling me this was three times my size I got my height wrong and she didn't actually measure that and I re weighed myself and the scales she used were wayyyy out making me a lot lighter than I showed. I should have just refused to be weighed gah I have always had issues with bmi even when I was younger and very fit now I and smaller than I was when I was last pregnant and there were no issues last time I'm only a size 14uk but have a large chest.

So sorry you had to go through that. There's such a bias against weight and what exactly are you going to do while pregnant except eat well and exercise? BMI is a horrible measure of health. I'm 10 lbs up from my last pregnancy so I started with an 'overweight' BMI. If my midwives give me a hard time, I'm so going to chew them out. Health is about more than just weight to height ratio.

It's true I know I'm over weight but if I actually hit my bmi I would look ill as I would be too thin. I would normally have argued but this pregnacy has me exhausted and sicker than I have been before. About the only food I can eat is fruit

OMG I know exactly what you mean. My BMI came out at 33 which was obese, 1 point above overweight but I too could have got my height wrong. Got the lecture and a handful of leaflets from the midwife, also about 2/3 times my size. Has absolutely and I feel unnecessarily scared me about labour, being obese means I'm apparently at a higher risk of complications during labour... awesome 👍

I can be a 14 or a 16 depending on where I buy my clothes but mostly a 14. I'm slightly bigger than last pregnancy but not enough to be THAT much of an issue. I've now got a consultant appt being made for me about my weight "issues", so far I've put on about 5/6lbs which is about right for 15 weeks!

I have decided rightly or wrongly I am going to ignore it all I have no intention of doing the glucose test unless I have sugars coming back in my urine or I have other issues. I know I will have a big baby my first was 8.9 the second 9.11 and I will not be induced early because of it or be bullied last time my care was midwife led at a small hospital which was great this time it's a much larger hospital I am still classed as low risk and have told them if I don't like the hospital I will stay at home which they were OK with. I won't risk the baby but I also won't risk my mental health as too much stress could trigger a return of my depression so I will look at pros and cons of all and make my decision based on that

I appreciated my doctor's frankness when she said I was a little overweight BMI at 26. I have seen personally a lot more complications in friends and family associated with being overweight during pregnancy.

She suggested I didn't need to gain the 25 lbs. but said no pressure. I didn't really have to worry lol as I was sick as a dog until the day I delivered but long story short I gained what she recommended which was 15-20 lbs and he was very healthy.

They will continue to weigh but I didn't want the lecture either so I flat out told them upfront they had given me notice I was heavier than they liked and not to even TELL me what I weighed again and I weighed turned away from the scale and they never told me again until I asked what I weighed because I was very upfront I didn't need to be stressing over my weight while pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->