Had an early scan and little prawn is fine :-) progesterone suppositories?

lexey_7

Reaction score
I had an early scan yesterday due to some intermittent spotting over the past couple of weeks and luckily everything is fine :happydance: my little prawn is measuring just right.

But the hospital said they're doing a trial of progesterone suppositories up until 16 weeks for any ladies that experience bleeding as they are pretty sure it will be beneficial. But it is a research trial and you may only get the placebo ones so I don't know whether to do it :shrug: it has to be within three days of your last bleed so she's ringing today but I'm not sure what to do. Is anybody else doing it?
Xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 6
Lovely scan picture, I'm glad that it went well. Congrats!

I have no advice on the suppositories but hope this bumps up your thread and another wonderful person can comment.

How bad was the spotting? I had some spotting, but I'm not taking prog supps. They didn't even test me for prog levels. Said all looked good internally and with the scan. Shrugs. Sorry!

Great pic though!

Idu how you could get placebo one? After a bleed it would make sense to give you actual progesterone. Your body could have attempted a miscarriage due to low progesterone or the bleed could stem from a hematoma.
Some doctors have even mentioned that after an attempted .iscarriage the baby can partly detach, reattach...and thus causing a hematoma.
What ever the reason, progesterone can help prevent a large bleed. Blood irritates the uterus as well.

I have been taking suppositories since week 6 and am doing well on them. My baby is growing well now (slow starter) and no more bleeding. The worst I had was light brown spotting a few times (old blood).

Thanks for your replies ladies :flower:

My spotting wasn't very bad really it was happening for about two weeks on and off and quite stringy with brown/pink/red streaks so doctor wanted an early scan to be sure.

The hospital said a consultant there is taking part in the research trial and that's why they were offering it to ladies who've had bleeding so if it proves beneficial in the future they can offer it.
I've declined which I feel a little bad about in case it could have helped future women if they get good results but it seemed a bit inconvientent for me to go back and find childcare and remember to do it every day if it might be a placebo but they've said I've two days if I do change my mind. I had the same with my daughter and everything was fine so I haven't been too worried and everything was fine at the scan. They said they won't need to see me again unless it turns into proper bleeding so just keeping things crossed now X

Hm. Don't feel bad. I would have said no in a hot minute. My baby is not here for somebody's trial. Period. If it was life saving and my baby needs saving, yes.

I would have put up a fight and said it was unethical to only offer treatment as part of a trial! And to deny some people treatment that they can offer others. Good luck with your pregnancy x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->