Had Anna's 8 month check today...

T

TashaAndBump

She weighs 16lbs... Is this small for her age??

The nurse that did her check was really nice, though and really impressed that Anna was doing things like standing, walking around with push-along things / holding on to the furniture etc climbing stairs and stuff :D It's always nice to hear that your baby is a clever bunny hehe

She gave us some free books, a doydee cup and a toothbrush and toothpaste (shame the toothpaste has fluoride in it, but oh well - toothbrush is good) :D

Anyway the real reason for this thread was, I've seen a couple of "Got my baby weighed!" threads recently where babies who are younger than Anna are weighing quite a bit more than she is... Anna was 16lbs the last time I go her weighed, about a month or more ago so she hasn't put on any weight since then. She looks a healthy size, not big, just healthy... Is 16lbs normal for an 8 month old baby, or should I be upping her feeds a little to try and make up some extra pounds? :shrug: I don't know what's normal! (Is there even a 'normal'?? :shrug: lol

I don't think there is a normal. As long as she's happy and healthy that's what matters :hugs:

if shes really active hun thats probably why she hasnt put the weight on i wouldnt worry about it

I'm confused, 8 month check? Are all babies supposed to have an 8 month check?

Sorry I don't know how much Oscar weighs at the moment to compare! I have always been told that once they start walking their weight gain slows as they're using more energy etc, maybe this is why there is no weight gain?

Well done Anna! She is a clever girl!

I think all babies are - you're in my area so I would ask about if you've not had an appointment sent through. I know in Essex they are routine to check on their development and make sure they are coming along okay (and you get a whole bunch of free stuff, too! haha). You can sometimes slip through the net so might be worth popping along to your local baby / weigh in clinic and asking one of the HVs there :)

Maybe she is a petite girl.Dont we all crave to be petite? LOL! She is doing well.Dont worry.

I'M sure it's fine hun! Josh has gotten chubby... he's at 19lbs now !

dont worry about it!

at Rhys' 8month check he weighed 16lb 2 oz... and he only weighs 19lb now! (and boys are supposed to be heavier than girls too)

Ffion is 24 weeks and weighed 14lb 13 oz today, Rhys weighed 14lb 4oz at 24 weeks.

huge hugs x

I'm concerned about Jasmine as shes 9months and only weighed 17lb12 last time I got her weighed which was about 2-3weeks ago now, but alot of kids seem to be younger and heavier then Jasmine :(, Anna is a beautiful baby hun

what percentile does it fall on tasha, that will tell u?

Kaya's one and hasn't had a check since her 8 week one lol. If they're really active etc they burn off the weight really quickly. Kaya's been 21lb for the last 6 months lol!

I have heard that their weight really steadies after the 6 month mark due to them becoming more active. Erica was 16lbs even last time we got her weighed as well, I wouldn't worry too much. If the doc was happy about her developmental milestones, thats more important! She's doing great!! :D

hehe thats actually good.. my daughter didn't reach 16 pounds till she was about a year old!!!!

what percentile does it fall on tasha, that will tell u?

I couldn't find her little red book this morning so don't know what percentile it falls on... :shrug: [Edit: Just googled it and found a baby weight percentily calculator - She is on the 11th percentile. Is this bad??]

She seems perfectly fine otherwise - brilliant even. Maybe she is just petite :) (I always wanted to be petite haha)

I'm quite sure she used to be on the 50th percentile... Now she's 11th??

All this growth chart stuff is so confusing!

She seems happy and healthy so dont worry and im sure her appetite will increase when she hgets over all the things she has had lately,that cant have been nice for her bless.
Tabs is 20lbs now and 5 months but then she was 10lb 3oz at birth and im almost 5'9 and Andy is 6'5.
how tall are you and OH? and how much was she at birth?
Tabs is in 9-12 month clothing now but a friend of mine gave us a lovely skirt for 9-12 months and it fits tabs perfectly but her 2 year old has only just got out of it!
It all depends hun just go on her happiness
xxx

I wouldn't worry hun.

I went with my friend the other day to get her 12 week old girl weighed, and my mate was concerned she didnt weigh enough because other babies she knew at that age were heavier. She was told every baby is different and weight varies on alot of things :)

They would of said something if it was something to worry about, annas perfect :)

I don't think there's a normal... Sam weighs less than the 3 other boys we know who are the same age but he eats well and I know he's healthy. He was 18lb 6oz at 8 months, and he seems a bit longer than Anna - and she definitely looks healthy :D

Are we all meant to have an 8 month check? Is it at the doctors or did you just go to a clinic to get her weighed? x

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being on the 11th percentile. Every baby is unique and all the chart shows is that 11% of all babies will be that weight too, I mean what is an average baby, I don't think there is such a thing.
It sounds like she is a healthy happy clever little girl.

I think these charts are for detecting major differences, like if your baby was on the 75th one month then the next on the 9th etc, or if they were completely off the chart all together.

Don't worry about it. xxx

this is normal for Anna. every baby is unique and will be different at each stage. her weight sounds just right to me.

Christine
XXXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back