Had First OB Appointment Yesterday

trying2bamom

Reaction score
So, I had my first OB appointment yesterday. They told me they think I'm only 6 or 7 weeks along. She stated that you can see baby heartbeat at 6 weeks and 1 day so I'm going with I'm seven weeks. I came to that conclusion because I went to the ER last Weds and they were able to see baby's heartbeat so I must have been 6 weeks 1 day then.

Because I have Diabetes I have to now take more pills and check sugar 4 times a day. She said that I would have to go on insulin at some point during pregnancy. She said that I can go work out at the gym and that she doesn't want me to gain any weight , but about 10 to 11 pounds. (I am overweight).

She was very dry and impersonal. My DB couldn't switch his schedule so I went alone. She asked if (I) had been trying not (us) Then preceded to ask if he knew. I informed her that we lived together and "We" had been trying for over 2 years. I didn't like the way she made me feel as if I was trying to Trap him with a baby or something. ...lol. Had to laugh it off to not go off in there.

So there's my information about baby and my small rant.

Oh I did get to see baby's heartbeat it was very strong and made me smile. :happydance::thumbup:

Find a new doctor. Having a doctor you connect with and like is extremely important especially with the diabetes adding health concerns. You want a doctor you feel comfortable with and can make decisions together. There is nothing better than having a doctor who is on your team and that you feel has your bests interests and is willing let you partner in the decisions for your child's well being when you are pregnant!

Older generations don't understand that many couples are long lasting relationships without being married! And just because you're not married doesn't mean you don't want children! It's a new world and many older people don't understand that! Glad the baby is doing so well! Sorry for the extra medications you'll have to take but it will be worth it :hugs: congrats!:happydance:

Thanks , I am thinking I will switch doctors because I just really felt like she was being a freaking drill sergeant or something. And When I gave her my numbers for my sugars she was unimpressed, like well for the baby you need to be lower. I worked really hard and got my numbers down to pre-diabetic numbers. and she was just brushing it off as if I hadn't already made some life changes to better myself. Just sucked.

On top of her poor bedside manner, she should have measured your little peanut to tell you how far along you were. I find it strange that they were just guessing, especially since the measurements between 6-7 weeks are pretty different. Definitely find yourself a new doctor!

People have different personalities and expectations for their doctors and it doesn't sound like you connected with this one so if you don't feel comfortable with her, definitely find another. Still, it sounds like you may be assuming things which may be not what she intended.

6-7 weeks is kind of early for a first OB appointment in some practices especially if you were in the ER the week before and had an US. Maybe she was just asking some questions to get to know you better since knowing whether it was planned or not can have implications on the babies health. If it was planned, people are more likely to take vitamins, avoid things that are bad for the baby etc. Asking whether it was planned and whether your boyfriend knew seem like reasonable questions to me.

People have different personalities and expectations for their doctors and it doesn't sound like you connected with this one so if you don't feel comfortable with her, definitely find another. Still, it sounds like you may be assuming things which may be not what she intended.

6-7 weeks is kind of early for a first OB appointment in some practices especially if you were in the ER the week before and had an US. Maybe she was just asking some questions to get to know you better since knowing whether it was planned or not can have implications on the babies health. If it was planned, people are more likely to take vitamins, avoid things that are bad for the baby etc. Asking whether it was planned and whether your boyfriend knew seem like reasonable questions to me.

Up until now I did not have a primary care doctor so they wouldn't know that I went to ER. When I went to ear they told me I was about 6 or 7 weeks . So I should have been around 8 weeks. ( No doctor would see me before the 8 weeks ). Now asking if "I" Planned it Versus "We" Planned is two different assumptions. And asking if the father knew in my eyes was just a follow up to insinuate that "I" Planned this alone or tried to trick him in some sort of way. To me those are not reasonable questions in that form or way.

I would change doctors, if you are not comfortable.

Both pregnancies I have been asked if the pregnancy was planned, and I'm married and my husband was with me both times. It's a standard question I think, so they know if you were thinking about pregnancy, if you would have been engaging in risky behavior, if they need to look out for anything in your relationship, I'm not sure but they don't just ask it to unmarried people or people who come in without their partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->