Had IV sedation - twilight sleep - yesterday for wisdom tooth 16 weeks - worried??

HSDR2017

Reaction score
Im 16 weeks pregnant with fraternal twins. Yesterday, I got an infected wisdom tooth pulled and I had the O.K. via written note from my obgyn to get the tooth removed and they stated things like:
Narcotic pain meds are safe even thought I’m pregnant, local anasthetic is safe and Sedation is safe.

I’m terrified of dental procedures hence why I had to be put to sleep.

The dental surgeon said he was surprised they wrote it but he seemed completely unconcerned about the babies because as he put it “sedation is perfectly safe in the 2nd trimester”.

They did not use any local anasthetic and I was only in a twilight sleep. I was probably “asleep” for approximately 10 minutes (if that) and I could still hear them talking but I don’t remember the tooth being removed and I have pain meds which I am trying not to take.

I just started to google IV sedation in 2nd trimester and it seems like everyone who answered on Baby Center (albeit it was a few years ago and none of the questions referred to “twilight” sedation) seem to be HIGHLY against any sedation in pregnancy.

How concerned should I be? I feel like the anxiety I am not facing is probably way worse for me and the babies and I also feel if it was dangerous my OB wouldn’t have wrote it was okay and my oral surgeon wouldn’t have done it but I can’t find my at home fetal heartbeat monitor (I think my fiancé threw the damn cord away) so I’m kinda freaking out here.

Thoughts?! Has anyone else had anything like this done in pregnancy specifically at approx. 16 weeks???

Thank you all so much!
<3

Stay off google! Your obgyn said it’s fine! No doctor or dentist is going to put themselves in the way of liability for your life and your baby’s health! I’m sure all is fine! Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

I have to agree--your OB said it was safe, so I'm sure that it is. And it sounds like you had very little--10 minutes of twilight shouldn't be much. But I get your anxiety; I would worry too--I'm a world class worrier!--but I bet everything is just fine. :flower:

I'll add: call your dr if you're going to fret. I've started doing that, asking what I fear are "annoying" questions, being "that" patient. But my OB is patient and kind, and her reassurance always makes me feel better. Worth it.

They wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t safe hun. I completely understand your concerns, though, I also worry a lot. Your ob and dentist wouldn’t take this lightly, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->